Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Garden Grows...NEW Pictures 7-10-07.

Pages: 1 19 replies

Some may remember last years pictures of our Yard. Here's a few from this year. Things are really taking off in the last few weeks. I will post more later.

[ Edited by: drslingshot 2007-07-10 18:32 ]

[ Edited by: drslingshot 2007-07-11 08:27 ]

89 views and not a comment??....cat got everyones tounge???......;>)

On 2007-06-15 07:18, drslingshot wrote:
89 views and not a comment??....cat got everyones tounge???......;>)

in a word, yes.

Dr. Slingshot, Dr. Slingshot Quite Contrary
How does you Tiki Garden grow?
With Lava Rocks
And Tiki Torches
And Pretty Moai in a row

:D

H

Nice garden, best of luck.

M

Just the white and yellows so far. They smell awesome!

Some smell like Gardenia rather than Plumeria!

Mahalo from McTiki's

McTiki

On 2007-06-15 16:59, CheekyGirl wrote:
Dr. Slingshot, Dr. Slingshot Quite Contrary
How does you Tiki Garden grow?
With Lava Rocks
And Tiki Torches
And Pretty Moai in a row

:D

good one CheekyGirl!!

Thank you hitiki,

Great looking plants McTiki,

Headed to Clearwater for a week. Will get some more pictures up when we get back.

M

Great looking garden. What I've learned--big DUHH--is that doing a room is far easier that doing the outdoors. What I thought was a respectable supply of tiki things to decorate my outdoor Polyamnesia bar was swallowed by the space and now I need boatloads more! Plants just get swallowed too. It all takes so much time that to see a space like yours is encouraging. Here in Bakersfield, plants have to be garbage bagged for a week or two in January to protect against frost damage and during the summer, 100 degree plus days are abundant which can destroy plants and artifacts at an alarming rate. Challenges make life fun.

everyone should have a home bar...mine is the Telstar Lounge http://TelstarLounge.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: mzoltarp 2007-06-16 07:36 ]

Don't know how I missed this....but that looks awesome DrSlingShot. I love the banana plants. When will you be coming to fix my yard? :lol:

M

On 2007-06-17 14:27, VampiressRN wrote:
Don't know how I missed this....but that looks awesome DrSlingShot. I love the banana plants. When will you be coming to fix my yard? :lol:

Funny thing is her homeowners association won't allow pink flamingos much less, scruffy bananas in her hood!

Ok heres some long overdue pictures. Thanks for all the compliments. We really enjoy the "growing Season". Always seems so short but so enjoyable. West Kentucky is quite Tropical..........

Gheeez...can you come do my yard!!! Plants commit suicide at my house. :(

That's pretty amazing how fast those bananas grew in 27 days (your last post). Are you fertilizing much? Mine are doing alright since the dewpoints rose here. They were Jacksonville, Florida natives until they came home with me and wintered in the basement.

You've got a nice yard going there, and pretty tropical for Kentucky.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2007-07-10 21:58 ]

On 2007-07-10 21:13, VampiressRN wrote:
Gheeez...can you come do my yard!!! Plants commit suicide at my house. :(

where do you live Vampiress, we'll make a house...er Plant call...:wink:

Lakesurfer

Yes fertilize every 7 days. It has been very HOT and Humid here. We are also under drought like conditions here in Ky. So we Water everything every day......Takes about 1.5 hours, but they gotta have their water. :wink:

How do you "winterize" your banana plants?? Mine die back every fall here in southern ohio and I have tried various methods of mulching and none seem to work. Yours look like they don't die back.

Tikimitch,

I have "magic dirt"....Just kidding. We dig them all up, prune the leaves and store the plants in a basement. Loosely bag the rots and wait for spring. Otherwise ours would be like yours and have stalk die off. Yes it is allot of work, but the size of the trees stays large. Ask any question and I'll try to give you an answer.

Have you thought about a drip system? The water will go where your plants need it instead of runoff. You can save as much as 30% - 60% of water usage. With the fact that you're under drought conditions, it would most likely save you from having to pay for overages. Check with your local water co; they may even offer rebates for putting in a system.

And you'll gain an hour and a half to your day!

Great looking space, too, by the way

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2007-07-12 10:00 ]

Thanks for the info - every little bit helps!!

Pages: 1 19 replies