Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Thrift Store find: Cool 8 person Rattan Patio set!

Pages: 1 13 replies

Hello everyone! Need some help on this set that we came across at our local Salvation Army thrift store.

I’ve never seen another set quite like this and I don’t know much about it other than what the tag on the underside of the table says. It’s a Calif-Asia piece. We’ve got a pretty large table and 8 rattan chairs with cool bent wood arms. The legs are metal and the chairs swivel. Anyone seen one like this before? I can't find too much info about Calif-asia either. Any info is appreciated.

T

That is a nice set.
Great find!

HC

Added benefit of the corduroy effect on your skin.... keeps one from sliding off the furniture when drunk!....great find!

there were some cool bar stools too that were most likely part of the same set. They got snatched up though before we could get them. While we were looking at the table and chairs another guy was looking at the stools. We talked to him afterwards and apparently we were both waiting for the other person to walk away so we could get the whole lot.

the woman at the register said they had been out on the floor for 15 minutes before we showed up. talk about timing!

Now we just need to work on that patio..perfect place for a tiki bar!

[ Edited by: gilligan52 2007-06-20 10:49 ]

Nice find. I found a couple in the same style a while back. Same style but mine do not turn and are kicked back in the lounge position.

TM

Nice!

M
Murph posted on Wed, Jun 20, 2007 4:52 PM

Make sure you wear long shorts or shave your hairy areas :) before sitting in those chairs.

Great find....that is a huge set. CONGRATULATIONS :D

On 2007-06-20 17:37, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Make sure you wear long shorts or shave your hairy areas :) before sitting in those chairs.

I would be pretty simple to make chair pads for them...

Nice find!

A friend of mine has a similar table. She went ahead spent the extra money to get a glass top made for it. She quickly found that some glasses tipped easily because of the "wavyness" of the rattan and she spent too much time digging out food between the pieces of rattan as well.

Those rockers on ebay are pretty cool! The bar stools we didn't get had some cool colored seat cushions on them (in great 50's colors). About a week later I noticed them up on ebay. He was asking $450 buy it now. (they were priced at $20 each at the thrift store)

I've noticed the same thing about the table, it can be hard to get glasses to stay upright on it. Thanks for the idea of the glass top, I hadn't thought of that. The only other problem we're having is that the bottom side of the chairs seems to be calling to spiders. No matter how many times I wipe them off they keep coming back to make webs. I'm sure it'll be better once we clean out that porch. We just bought the house a few months ago and have been trying to get rid of the previous owner's "country kitchen" taste.

Gilligan,

For the spiders nesting underneath your chairs, get a bottle of Dr. Bonner's Peppermint (or Lavender) Soap mixed with water. Spray all under the seats and around the perimeter of where the chairs are. You will have to spray every other week (at least), but this is a safe alternative to using harsh chemical sprays. Do test an inconspicuous area to make sure that the finish of the rattan, if it has one, will not be affected aesthetically. Also, you can use Peppermint oil mixed with water in a spray bottle. Again, test the finish of the chairs.

Calif Asia imported from the PI and was made in the early 60's. I have a few pieces as well. Nice score.

Pages: 1 13 replies