Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

"What is Tiki?" - How Do YOU Respond?

Pages: 1 39 replies

D

This subject seems to be popping up more and more for me lately--in the office; at tiki gatherings, etc.

I just returned from Hukilau 2007 - what a bash! But while I was there I was asked by more than one innocent bystander "What is Tiki?" or "what do you guys do?" These questions are echoed sometimes in my daily life occasionally. For example, my office at work has tiki art and tiki mugs in it. Sometimes, new employees or visitors to our offices, see my office and sometimes they ask "What is Tiki?"

This has become a question that I find difficult to answer. Its like asking "What is Victorian?" Most people don't have the time or the interest to wait for the answer I give--something like; "well...its a tropical, Polynesian-based style that is rooted in...blah blah blah" They still don't get it. I have recently got to the point where I just don't want to be bothered with answering. I now usually ask; "you know what a Renaissance fair is?....Same thing only a different point in history." That seems to work pretty well.

And there are those that look on Tiki with a certain air of suspicion. With tikiphiles there is a kind of "wink and a nod" toward paganism. We all know its just in fun and nobody here is really going to go out and sacrifice a virgin to a volcano.

While at Hukilau this year an employee at one location (I won't say where) asked me point blank; "What is it you all do anyway?". When I tried to answer the next question was "Are you all into alot of drugs?" I didn't know how to answer. There was a tone of distrust combined with ignorance. This really bothered me. That dark human tendancy to fear and distrust what you don't understand was exposed verly clearly for me to see. I tried my best to engange this person and calm his fears. However, I'm not sure if it really worked. I have also had the occasional question from people who seem to be religeously suspicious too; "is this a religeous thing?" was also a question I heard from someone else while attending Hukilau this year and from a coworker some time ago.

I just want to through this out there and see if others have had these types of experiences both the neutral and the negative and how you have handled them or educated people on this genre?

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

[ Edited by: Digitiki 2007-06-20 14:57 ]

[ Edited by: Digitiki 2007-06-20 15:01 ]

Yeah, I got some of that as well. My reply was "we're a group of people fanatically devoted to promoting Polynesian culture." Her blank stare said it all. Truth is, I think it really is different for everyone. Some folks are really into the anthropology behind it all, and others are into the design/fashion elements. Some are into the imbibing element more than others, and some of us came into it via the music. But try explaining that to hospitality-industry workers accustomed to swinger conventions and mortgage lender meetings: you'll get the same blank stare or suspicious wink. I'd keep it simple, and that way it keeps out the rubes, while maintaining an aura of mystery. You know: it's like trying to get a reaction from The Mystery Girl!

CL

I'm sure this has been hashed out several times over TC already, but it's an interesting question. I always look at the perspective of the person who's asking. I mean Tiki means different things for different people. And some people just don't or won't get it at all.

Here at TC, we view Tiki from a modern Polynesian pop perspective. That's what we're into. So when someone asks me, what is it...is it a like drinking club? I respond no, from my perspective, I appreciate tiki from the modern Polynesian pop perspective. Imagine the mainland view of Hawaiian Tiki in the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's. The art, the architecture, the music, the clothes, and yes the drinks, etc. All that is considered vintage now, but has made a comeback (albiet sometimes with poor modern imitations). There's been a cultural movement of appreciation of those things. I appreciate it not only from a preservationist standpoint, but also from a continuation standpoint. Many modern artists are sticking to traditional forms.

Then if they're not completely dazed and confused at that point, I go into the history of Trader Vic and Don the Beachcomber. Then if I want to overload them, I go into Beachbum Berry's and Svens efforts. At this point, they're either interested or staring blankly and not comprehending a word I said. In this case they're usually to get away from me as quickly as possible fearful of this odd interest in this odd Tiki thing. Oh well. :wink:

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2007-06-20 15:33 ]

CL

arggg...double posting again. sheesh. Gotta lay off the rum. :wink:

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2007-06-20 15:23 ]

T

Just say "If you have to ask, you'll never know"

Cool,...

I joined just to add to this thread.

I had that question at work recently because of a fake tattoo I had with a Tiki on it.

I think people are seeing more and more Tiki stuff like at Target and it is getting them wondering. They see the stuff at surf shops or whatever and they are starting to notice.

I tell them it is an attitude, an escape.

For me it is pirates. When mommy comes home makes a drink at my pirate bar in a Tiki mug and puts on her pirate hat that is a symbol that mommy is not mommy anymore so approach with caution. Pirates only! Pirates don't argue about bills or fret over dirty dishes.

Some times just a change in attire helps to escape the mundane lives we lead.

Um. don't be so sure about the virgin sacrifice thing. I mean how many do you see around, eh?

"After the war the soldiers came home celebrating life with zeal and brought home an appreciation for the cultures they encountered, we simply carry on that tradition, that zest for life and that style of living."

I used that one on my Grandma and it got me past the "drinking club" question.

T

On 2007-06-20 14:53, Digitiki wrote:
nobody here is really going to go out and sacrifice a virgin to a volcano.

Speak for yourself!
:)

where you gonna find one?

My response is always that tiki culture is the Americanized version of the Polynesian paradise. It's what mainland Americans romanticized Hawaii and the South Pacific islands as being like....tropical scenery, beaches, tropical drinks with fruits and rums, Hawaiian music, tiki gods, and mugs!

P

I tell everybody it's nothing to think about and they should get into poker instead.

That way there will still be a barstool at the Molokai.

H

I just tell people that it's a Satanic drug thing and that they wouldn't understand.

Pain!

Lot's of...

Pain!!!

I agree that it is a little different for everyone. My love of tiki is rooted in a very fond memory of visiting the Kahiki when I was a kid. For me it isn't a religion or a way of life, it is just something that I am in to like a certain kind of music or an involved hobby. I don't think it is that different than someone who is interested in skiing or the like. That type of hobby involves traveling, buying equipment, and having fun - tiki just isn't as mainstream.

From now on when people ask me what my interest in tiki is all about I am going to say that it is like skiing, but with rum instead of ski lifts.

T

The way I look at it is escaping from reality and enjoying what I think life should be. FUN! My friends don't get it but still send me gifts. Some not even close to being tiki and one sent me a signed Horne picture to mount on my wall. He had no idea what it meant but purchased it anyway. Must say, it's a great picture and a great find. My friends wear Tommy Bahama and think it's tiki. I guess whatever makes you happy run with it.

Mahalo,
Tikitatt
Myspace.com/tikitatt

[ Edited by: Tikitatt 2007-06-20 21:05 ]

I like that "Satanic Drug Thing" mixed with the "Virgin Sacrifice" accompanied by the "Exotic Music" aspect. I am going to start using that...it sounds so intriguing...how can you not be sucked right into that!!! :lol:

If it's a hot babe asking, I sometimes say:

Tiki is what is hidden underneath a grass skirt and what is shamelessly revealed over and above the grass skirt.

It is the tender sweet kiss you share when a beautiful wahine gives you a heavenly lei.

D

LMAO!!!
I can just see the look on people's faces if I were to tell them its a druggy-satanic kinda thing....hilarious!!!!

My wife, who is not as into tiki as I am, calls me a Tiki Trekkie.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

[ Edited by: Digitiki 2007-06-21 09:39 ]

Are you threatening me? I said I need it for my bunghole!

Oh, wait. I thought you said 'TP'...

I have to say I've not really run into this problem. But then again Tiki has to be probably one of the most normal hobbies I've ever been involved in since I was a little kid. I've actually run into an opposite reaction several times when the issue of my collecting tiki things came up, people going all misty eyed and begin recounting tales of the tiki bar/restaurant their parents took them to as a kid. Its great to see people suddenly reliving these happy memories they had all but forgotten in the recesses of their mind. It brings them joy to find out there are still a few tiki bars left out there and a dedicated group of people even travel across the country to go visit them. Its one of the side benefits I like a lot about collecting tiki stuff.

--
Zombiepops

S

I get the question all the time and I have to formulate and answer that works for average Joe and for the media.

"We are fans of the Polynesian pop culture in America that reached its peak in the late 50s and early 60s with places like Trader Vic's and Don the Beachcombers. There was a time when every major city in America had at least one Polynesian themed restaurant and bar and we collect the ephemera, the mugs, postcards and swizzles from the these places, as well as recreate the magical oasis of a tiki bar in our homes and mix the exotic cocktails as well. It's a fun, light hearted escapism from a time for adults. Loud Hawaiian shirts, Hawaiian music, rum cocktails and dreams of a far away island we can reach by heading tot he basement tiki bar."

Feel free to prnit this out and hand it to them on a card when they ask.

D

Well put Swanky!

On 2007-06-21 10:24, zombiepops wrote:
I have to say I've not really run into this problem. But then again Tiki has to be probably one of the most normal hobbies I've ever been involved in since I was a little kid. I've actually run into an opposite reaction several times when the issue of my collecting tiki things came up, people going all misty eyed and begin recounting tales of the tiki bar/restaurant their parents took them to as a kid. Its great to see people suddenly reliving these happy memories they had all but forgotten in the recesses of their mind. It brings them joy to find out there are still a few tiki bars left out there and a dedicated group of people even travel across the country to go visit them. Its one of the side benefits I like a lot about collecting tiki stuff.

--
Zombiepops

I'm like you Zombiepops, it has never come up. My house, cars, furniture, and housewares are all from the atomic era so it is just natural that vintage tiki would be there too. I adore tiki but it has it's place among my Danish modern and MCM stuff like any home would be in 1958. Everyone already knows I am a collector/dealer so they don't say anything...at least to my face!

T

Never had that question come up !!!

I always associated Tiki with bars ...so all the Tits oops Tikis are at the bar !!!!!!

I admit I've had my tongue tied tried to anwser this question from my
co-workers. Usually I just reply it's a good way to meet sexy women.

Just say,

I like tiki, don't f%*# with meeki!

PTD

I just tell them to get this and the rest takes care of itself: http://bookoftiki.com/index.html

You think describing 'What is Tiki' difficult? Try describing what Cocktail Culture and Lounge music (of which Tiki and Exotica are components of) is to the inquiring not-in-the-know masses. Being one of the premiere DJs and event organisers in the first wave (was there ever a second?) of the Lounge craze of the mid-1990s, I was constantly trying to educate people in this genre and culture -- one that grouped many adult-oriented aspects of life from the 1950s & '60s together to form an all-encompassing style. Some understood it right away, some had a mild grasp, but most (even those who liked the music) just didn't get it. I always used to say 'Cocktail Culture is an appreciation of the quality and style of adult social life of the 1950s & '60s'. And, of course, I wasn't referring just to the Jet Setters, Swingers, and High Rollers, but to the average married couple, as well, who would break out the easy listening records and throw cocktail parties.

So much of what we romanticise and are attracted to from the 1950s & '60s was actually very common place back then in culture and not all that extraordinary. Only in retrospect (because that quality of life and style no longer exists) does it seem otherwise. And though 'Tiki' has evolved in many ways, and has taken on new shapes and forms and ideas (and sadly, deviations), its basic roots and ideals and inspiration still lay in the past.

Just be thankful that explaining 'What is Tiki?' IS difficult, as it makes it all that more special to those who DO understand it.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jun 23, 2007 5:10 PM

It's even harder for me, because down here we never had heaps of tiki bars, even in the day. I start by saying it's a 50s retro pop culture thing. If I get a blank stare, I just say there's lots of yummy cocktails and hula girls. They either get that, or they don't! :lol: If from my opening 50s pop culture thing they ask more, I explain how in WWII US soldiers returning from the Pacific brought back with them memories of tropical Hawaii, and would then have a go at replicating it at home, and this lead to people opening Hawaiian/Polynesian bars.

On 2007-06-23 17:10, hewey wrote:
It's even harder for me, because down here we never had heaps of tiki bars, even in the day. I start by saying it's a 50s retro pop culture thing. If I get a blank stare, I just say there's lots of yummy cocktails and hula girls. They either get that, or they don't! :lol:

I hear you Hewey! There's probably only one other person within 300kms of where I live who would know what a Tiki-Bar was! I just say, "you know, that whole American Luau/hula girl/cocktail thing"; or if I know the enquirer a little better, "like an indoor tits-out BBQ, but with cocktails instead of beer!" Hey, you've got to make the locals understand in language they'll understand. :lol:

TTT :wink:

T

"Tiki? What is this 'tiki' you speak of...?", slowly, in a middle-eastern accent.

Either that or I tell them it's closely related to the antique-barbed-wire-collecting community.

Tiki is mixing a Mai Tai, sipping it slowly as I finish off a Ramone Allone, and slipping myself into my pool as I stare inanely at the cloudless blue skies above my Southern California home. It is about the better things of life that often seem just a bit too far out of reach, and yet for those who trouble themselves to step off the treadmill for a moment or two, can grasp all of paradise in a single breath, or two. It's about indulgence and that ever elusive hope of going on permanent vacation. Now, back to my pool... O' how I just love the desert.

T

On 2007-06-25 21:08, telescopes wrote:
Tiki is mixing a Mai Tai, sipping it slowly as I finish off a Ramone Allone, and slipping myself into my pool as I stare inanely at the cloudless blue skies above my Southern California home. It is about the better things of life that often seem just a bit too far out of reach, and yet for those who trouble themselves to step off the treadmill for a moment or two, can grasp all of paradise in a single breath, or two. It's about indulgence and that ever elusive hope of going on permanent vacation. Now, back to my pool... O' how I just love the desert.

====================================

Mai Tai, finishing off Ramone and a 100 degree pool ...
"It is about the better things of life that often seem just a bit too far out of reach."

D

On 2007-06-26 04:43, TikiLaLe wrote:
Mai Tai, finishing off Ramone

Who's Ramone?

TIKI: Good Vibes, Good Surroundings, Good Food and Drink, Good Music, Good Friends....GOOD TIMES

On 2007-06-26 07:15, DawnTiki wrote:

On 2007-06-26 04:43, TikiLaLe wrote:
Mai Tai, finishing off Ramone

Who's Ramone?

Not who, lol, but what!

The memory of my Cuban cigars, purchased at an estate sale, still boxed and pre-embargo. At the time, I didn't realize they were pre-embargo Cuban's. I kept thinking as I smoked them, "Damned, these are some good cigars." Later, I spoke to the dealer, a one "John Dingler" a tobaconist who is a legend in the mid-west, and learned of their legacy. Deprived of the knowledge of their true birth, I none-the-less appreciated them for all their worth.

I think tiki is a longing, a desire to be separated from the mundane clatter that is the modern world and to be someone who is at once at odds with everything the western world values while at the same time someone who is found to be embracing a thought that is skewed from something Henry David Thoreau once said which is, "Most men live lives of quiet desperation." For the man or woman who embraces Tiki, it isn't desperation that we embrace, but it is "a quiet life of effortless simplicity".

The Polynesians, at least from the point of view of our American Pop psyche, exemplified this in all of its glory. I suppose other culture did so as well, but for the tikiphile, this one comes with alcohol, food, art, traditions, and cool looking mugs and places to meet. And of course, half-naked women who want to bring nothing but pleasure to your boorish, flabby existance.

I suppose tiki is a statement of some sort. I wouldn't make too much of it. I think Gauguin best expressed the sentiments of tiki through his paintings. For me, at least from my own humble point of view, is the true founding father of this expression referred to as Tiki.

Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[ Edited by: telescopes 2007-06-27 18:54 ]

B

Aloha all,
Been perusing this thread. I guess a lot of perspectives are valid...some are wishful thinking, then again perhaps not since things evolve over time. I kinda consider myself a purist, having grown up in the industry...Grandfather being the executive chef for Don the Beachcomber and the Trade Winds, growing up in Trader Vic's (Cosmo Place, S.F.) and Tiki Bob's (working and running the place.). Recently someone told me the Bay Area is the Tiki capitol of the US. I was pretty suprised...I couldn't think for the life of me why that's so. As far as I'm concerned...there are only a handful of places throughtout the US that can really be considered 'Tiki'. In the Bay Area I can only think of one...that's Forbidden Island in Alameda, that even qualifies. Trader Vic's is a pale shadow of what it once was so it can't even be considered. Now I know there are quite a few 'Hawaiian' themed bars and restaurants...but if you really think about it 'Hawaii' was never really part of the original Tiki theme...it was Tahiti and the rest of Polynesia that was always in the forefront of of the genre. The food? Wasn't Hawaiian. that's for sure...pure Cantonese cooking. Now some of the previous posts alluded that 'Tiki' is a lifestyle and an appreciation of things 'Tiki' and I concur on both counts but I contend that one can't lump everything from the 'Islands' and consider it Tiki. 'Tiki' was and is truly unique to the US, but sadly there are few examples left today. Now I might draw some flack over this post, but that's the way I see it.

Mahalo all,
Kal

If someone asked me, I'd just roll up my sleeve and show them my Shag tiki tattoo.

Pages: 1 39 replies