Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Update From Palm Springs

Pages: 1 19 replies

Aloha kâkou !!

Well everybody I felt it was about time I got off my butt and became an active part of the Tiki Central Community. Being an artist with little acclaim I felt it was time I share my work with all of you. I am really looking forward to the exchange of ideas and comments. I primarily work in pen & ink but have been branching out into acrylic on canvas, digital media, carving, and any media that I can "Tikify".

This site has meant so much to me in the past years. Here is one of my first of many posts.

Mahalo nui loa

Dirk Yates aka Kimo

[ Edited by: Dirk Yates 2007-07-02 19:29 ]

[ Edited by: Dirk Yates 2007-07-23 14:18 ]

Welcome! Nice piece!!

Thanks very much. I am scanning more of my work as we speak and hope to get some photos of my canvases up here in a few days.

Here is a new piece I am working on.

I love it!!! Welcome to TC....don't you feel home right now? :)

Totally!! Now I can finally share my work with fellow Tiki-philes!! I dont know why I didnt join in the craziness sooner!!

On 2007-06-20 23:23, Dirk Yates wrote:
Here is a new piece I am working on.

i like it!! reminds me of the old graphics you would find on the inside of menus

Here goes some more of my recent works! Thanks for all the great compliments everyone! You guys are awesome!!!

Dirk aka Kimo

[ Edited by: Dirk Yates 2007-07-02 20:14 ]

And here is my Witch Doctor. He seems to be a recurring character in other works as you will come to see in later posts.

Dirk Yates aka Kimo

[ Edited by: Dirk Yates 2007-09-04 21:28 ]

Aloha Dirk - Kimo!

Very nice work there! Yes, try as many mediums as you can.. the more you do, the better you get. You obviously have artistic talent. I'd love to see what you'd come up with in acrylic. What medium do I work in? No medium - I go from one extreme to the other! I'm one of those that gets bored with doing the same thing all the time. I'll paint for a while, then go on to sculpting, then I'll build something, then draw - and on and on. It's always fun though. For paint, I've been in love with cel vinyl paints for years now. They were developed for the animation industry, but they are a great all around waterbased paint. I get them from http://www.cartooncolour.com Once in a while I'll see them at an art store.. anyway they are my favorite paint. They flow really good, they stick to anything, the color is very opaque and they are excellent quality - they don't fade over time. Another thing I have a lot of fun with is that Sculpey II stuff. And paper mache'... and wood carving... and ceramic clay... it's always something!

Hey, I love that witch doctor!
Happy painting and drawing!
Paul

Aloha Cuzins,

I am trying to get more of my worked scanned but seems like I can only get a few done at a time. I hope you enjoy seeing them as much as I love sharing them with you all.

Mahalo
Dirk aka Kimo

Aloha Cuzins,

Here he is my happy Palm Springs Mo God of Tinis (pronounced teenees) ... tongue-in-cheek I know but I couldnt resist. Hope this makes you all giggle a bit :wink:

Mahalo

T

Your stuff is great - you have a good sense of humor :)

Prints....prints....I want some prints!!! Are you going to do any? The witch doctor is delightful. :tiki:

Aloha Folks,

Yes my Vamp I will be doing some of the 8x10 and 11x17 prints of these and about 40 others in the next few weeks. I am busy gearing up for my very first art show in late september here in Plam Springs. I will be sending out an open invite to all of my fellow Tiki Centralites as soon as I get closer to the date.

I am also finising up a large body of acrylic on canvas, and my new greeting cards as well. All coming available in the next few weeks.

Mahalo

Aloha,

Here is one of my latest, fresh from the drawing board. I am also digging up some of my older stuff. I used to us the signature JD Yates but sounded too stuffy so I am using my middle name Dirk. Just to address any confusion on signatures. I know ... nutty artists!! Well I think a highball of Tattoo on the rocks is calling me. Got lots more to share in the up coming weeks and the opeing of my very own website ....

http://www.housestudios.com

Aloha Everyone,

Well here is another piece just completed. Sorry for all the sample watermarks but I found someone hade used one of my drawings on their own website as a background. Vamp - got prints ready finally !!! If anyone is interested in prints of my work please email me directly and I can let you know my prices etc.

[email protected]

Later this week I will be posting my acrylic on canvas works. Hope they are well received... :) Well back to work in the studio.

Mahalo
Dirk aka Kimo

Dirk Yates aka Kimo

[ Edited by: Dirk Yates 2007-07-23 14:41 ]

G

Man, you rock!

DY

Here is Akua Pua - one of my newest tikis.

I have been dodging the heat and scanning in all of my latest drawings. Its been a bit to hot to paint in my studio so it will be another week or so and I will begin posting my photos of latest paintings. Hope you all are well and enjoy!!

Dirk Yates
aka Kimo

PM coming your way Dirk....and no need to apologize about the watermark....it is a good idea...DAMN ALL THIEVES (well not the ones that steal drink menus.) :lol:

Pages: 1 19 replies