Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

New Member would love some feedback

Pages: 1 31 replies

After reading this site for over a year I thought it was finally timre to
join. I just finished my third year as a vendor at the Hukilau in Fort Lauderdale. What a trip that was. I am a sculpture teacher and I create ceramic Tikis. I am including some pics of my stuff and I would love some feedback.

Aloha,
Barefoot Tiki
of
Barkin Barefoot Tiki

[ Edited by: Barefoot Tiki 2007-06-23 19:55 ]

When are you going to start making mugs?

T

I really dig your work.

Do you sculpt your tikis or do you have a mold?

They look fantastic!! Do you have a website?

Want a torch! Want a torch!

WOW!! Those are beautiful!! Really......do you have a website?

Cool pieces. Im sure the regulars over in 'Creating/Other Crafts' would appreciate hearing the technical ins-and-outs of how you make them. Have you thought about starting a thread of your work/processes?

Tama :)

Hey Barefoot!
I have been at the last two Hukilaus and remember your work very well. Your work is great! While we are used to all the carved stuff, the pottery gives a different option. The tiki torches are really wonderful! As a pottery student, I had often thought about trying to make those. Seeing your work let me know it is definitely possible. My only concern is the stability of the larger tikis. I would worry about something that size getting chipped or broken. Your designs on them are really great. I love the ones with the curvy tops that look like flames. The smaller tikis with the cords to turn bottles into tiki torches are wonderful. They are a convenient, more portable, and more economical way to get the look of the torch if you have a smaller space and are easier to pack and carry home.

[ Edited by: SouthBamaTiki 2007-06-24 07:01 ]

[ Edited by: SouthBamaTiki 2007-06-24 07:02 ]

We bought some of the bottle toppers torches and stuck them in dead sailor jerry bottles. Love em'. My only feedback would be to figure out ways we can drink out of you creations.

Feedback? If you have been lurking for 1 year and have been a vendor at Hukilau, you are here to brag about your cool stuff not look for feedback! I'll give it to you anyway, very cool! and where can I get one of your Tiki Torch's?

Welcome to TC, glad you finally jumped in.

I love your stuff. Well, no, I don't love it. I lust for it and want it all!

And, I knew you were in Florida but I didn't realize you this close. We have to get together at the Mai-Kai sometime soon and talk story. There are several of the local o'hana that want to talk story about the hows and tos of your stuff.

Welcome!

I'm a big fan of your work.. I have one of your pendants and just bought 2 headhunter tiki torches at Hukilau. (I had to have them after seeing them in the garden at Jetsetter!)

Keep it up and get the website together!

Beautiful work....I love it. Keep up the great art. :tiki:

T

I agree, great work!

Welcome and Mahalo,
Tikitatt
http://www.Myspace.com/Tikitatt

Barefoot Tiki, Thanks for the PM but it would be a good idea to post your answers here too. Many others that read the forums may have the same questions.

WoooHooo! Tiki-rrific Work! You need to come out and vend at Oasis :)

Wish I could make it out to Oasis this year but I am afraid I cant do this year. I will be at the Driveinvasion in Atlanta Labor day weekend. Anyone been to that before? It will be my first time..

Starting a rental business and we just finished some new carvings hope you enjoy

Here is the Tiki at our first gig. Much more dramatic with professional lighting

H
hewey posted on Mon, Oct 1, 2007 9:07 PM

Very nice work! I really like the big tikis, very cool. Welcome to TC!

With the large tikis, how do you carve the styrofoam? There's a factory offcuts art supplies shop near me that sells big blocks of foam, I'd love to have a go at a big one like those. Is the vertical grain part of the styrofoam, or did you add that? Thanks in advance!

Hey I am glad you like them. We pretty much employ some of the same carving techniques as carving wood we use reciprocating saws grinders and dremmels as well as some Styrofoam tools that include wire brushes and hot wires. We finish it up with multiple grades of sand paper. They have a two part epoxy coating and they are faux finished with acrylic paints . The wood grain is a combination of carving and painting.

Hey everyone I have been busting my hump lately getting the tikis ready for a party a month ago. Here are some pics. Sorry some of them are so dark but the professional photographer hasn't given me any of his shots yet. Feel free to give me some feedback. This is the first Bar we have ever built.

This is a 10 foot TIki

New Moai Bar

Moai Bar Detail

H

Too cool!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Dec 6, 2007 11:16 PM

Nice stuff. GROG like.

O

Very Cool Barefoot Tiki. Where is the bar?

nice..a tiki event that contains mostly women...it's about time!!

GT

Very cool! Nice work, Mahalo! Gogo

T

On 2007-12-07 10:09, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

I'll bet it was a luau or other type of "Hawaiian event" and not a "tiki event" :)

Wow, I sure hope you will make it to Tiki Oasis one day, if not we will have to go to the Hukilau one year just to meet you, Wendy

H
hewey posted on Sat, Dec 8, 2007 5:41 AM

I really like the bar and moai. Is that foam carving too? The big guy is awesome too! :D

Hey guys thanks for the feedback. To answer a few questions yes it is all carved out of foam and fiber-glassed. It was a Luau and not strictly a Tiki event and the Bar is located in storage. It all comes apart and folds up. I rent these bars and tikis to event planners and a few Polynesian event directors. This particular event was located in Palm Beach. I am still waiting for a few pictures from the professional photographer. I will post when I get them.

T

On 2007-12-07 10:09, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

I think you-all would call that a bunch of Lesbians !!!! j/k [just in case the kool-kids read this]

S2

Hey sweet carving man. I used to work for a company that does work for Disney, so i have some exsperiance in this foam / glass stuff and i goota say those are top notch!
What kind of epoxy are you using? I'm up in canada, so it's hard to get certin products here. I tend to use pig poo - paint / clay and white glue, you can get some great graining effects by dragging the brush. Then i tend to use angle vail over top, it really keeps the texture. Right now i'm working on making molds Smooth On has some great products. I find that one offs are so exspensive to produce.
If you ever want to talk shop i'm interested.
great work!
thanks
sam

Pages: 1 31 replies