Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TGIF at Sam's Seafood June 29th

Pages: 1 24 replies

WOOOOHOOOOO! Sam's is Finally OPEN!!! They are Open Tuesday through Friday from 5:00pm to 9:00pm (possibly later on Fridays). On Saturday & Sunday they open at 2:00pm. Closed on Mondays.
Phone # 562-592-1321

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-06-25 14:11 ]

H

And no Sam's tiki mugs yet for at least 2 months.

On 2007-06-22 17:36, hiltiki wrote:
And no Sam's tiki mugs yet for at least 2 months.

Trust me, I have seen them. They will be well worth the wait :)

H

ok.

WooHooo! TGIF at Sam's Seafood

Date: Friday, June 29th

Time: 7:00 (Sam's Opens at 5:00 on Fridays)

Where: Meet in the Bar

PM me if you would like to be added to our Dinner Reservation :)

*There is a DJ Friday Nights :)

Sam's Seafood
16278 South Pacific Coast Highway
Huntington Beach, 92649
562-592-1321

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-06-27 11:14 ]

WOOHOO! The following people are in for TGIF @ Sam's:

SoccerTiki & WooHooWahine
TikiTatt & Mrs.
Tiki Al + 3

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-06-27 11:13 ]

WOOOHOOO! TGIF!!! Are you ready for some Mai Tai taste testing? SoccerTiki and I are looking forward to seeing everyone at Sam's tonight :)

Dinner at 8? Then drinks at 7ish! See ya tonight!

WooooHoooOOOOooooooooo!!!

"Mortgages and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life!"

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2007-06-29 12:09 ]

Sam's Is Back! It looks soo good. The lights are turned down, and no more aquarium blue. All the tiki stuff is still up. The food is way better. It was nice being there. It didn't feel like I was at Red Lobster.

Tikiphantom

It was a fun time at Sam's last night! A few pics:

It all(ways) starts out in the bar! SoccerTiki, Tiki Al, Liz, Shawna & TikiTat

TikiTat and da Mrs goofing in the bar.

One of the familiar tiki poles in the bar

Dinner in the main room. Tiki Al, Liz, WooHooWahine, Shawna TikiTat & SoccerTiki

Tiki Al keeping the wahines' attention with one of his many stories

The evening was well-documented with photos (I think that's a good thing!?!)

All in all....Call your friends, meet for drinks and enjoy a nice dinner at SAMS!!!

Great photos guys! Wish I could have made it through Fri. commuter traffic in time to come. Next time, I want to see all things new at Sams!

T

More photographic evidence:

WooHooWahine and Soccer Tiki having a cocktail at Sam's bar

WooHooWahine and Tsunami Shanna

I think the drinks are starting to kick in

Tiki Al and Liz

Strong drink?

Tiki Al and Liz doing magic tricks

WooHooWahine and Tsunami Shanna DRUNK!?!

Appetizers

Oh no! EMPTY!!!

Dinner:

Yet another empty drink:

Tiki Al showing off his deeper side:

You know how we like to do it~ Old school style!

Overall we had a great time. The food was great as well were the drinks. As any newly opened restaurant there are some kinks that need to be worked out. But we are happy to see that much of the original decor has been preserved and the Tiki vibe is still there.

T

On 2007-06-29 09:36, WooHooWahine wrote:
WOOOHOOO! TGIF!!! Are you ready for some Mai Tai taste testing?

Well, how were the Mai Tais? The empty glasses looked good!

T

Personally, I like a great tasting Mai Tai. Sam's Mai Tai was a little strong which took away the flavor. Overall my experience was excellent. Our waitress at the bar was very attentive but cannot say the same for our food server. Again, Sam’s has a few kinks they need to work out as any new restaurant does. Overall the wife and I was very satisfied and give it two shocka's up.

Mrs Boo and I went tonight. Date Night!!

Had a nice relaxing dinner in the smoker aka patio.

Sam's is kinda like chillin in a really cool spa w/ old school tikis and stuff.

The halibut and ahi was arrrrrsome.

Super relaxing mode!

Dawning of a new OC era.

It's all good!

WooHoo tested...
Bamboo Ben approved...
Must be good!
Excellent food and drink...
and they even have a smoker's patio?
Paradise..... :)

BM

How far is this joint from the Happiest Place on Earth--aka Disneyland? I will be attending said attractions next weekend and that sounds like a worthy diversion away from the mouse...

T

I have to say my "Sams" experience was not as joyful as some here...On a ten scale, score it a 3.5 and here is why.
I ordered a Mai Tai from the bar and knew I was in trouble when they poured it out of one plastic container, put a slice of pineapple on the glass and an orchid and it was done. OK...I sucked it up, but I was cussing myself out the whole time. While perusing the drink menu for a better drink, I read the Mai Tai ingrediants...pineapple rum, pineapple juice and "secret flavor mix" (probably pineapple infused sweetener)$9.00
For my second drink, I chose the "mojito" which came a lot closer to really being a mojito, but still fell far short of my top ten mojito's list. It was however a fairly tasty drink $11.00.

I thought for sure someone would have clued the new owners in on proper tiki drinks. Hurricanes and mojitos are OUT...Good Mai Tai's, zombies, etc. are IN. Then again maybe their focus is to make a zillion dollars pedaling these to the unsuspecting post pubies that will surely flock here.

The decor was clean, considerably cleaner than the real Sams was, maybe even too clean. The smoke stained walls, gone...the tiki atmosphere, gone. In fact the tiki vibe was nearly sucked right out of this place. I was really glad to hear that Sams was re-opening, but I won't be in any hurry to go back and it's only 2 minutes from my house.

I don't want to discourage anyone from trying it out, but thought it fair to forewarn considering the fluff up from some of the previous posters.

that's why I drink beer!

One thing I do like about the "new" Sams is there selection of beers. I do really hate their music selection. It is that trance-ey mellow thirty something crap. All in all though it is pretty nice in there. And as for the drinks it is usually a good rule of thumb not to order a Mai Tai or any mixed drink at any restaraunt if you are a drink snob like me. Unless I'm at the right place I ususally just stick with beer.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jul 6, 2007 5:38 PM

How can a person go to Sam's Seafood and NOT order a Mai Tai?!

It ain't a German Beer Hall; it's Sam's fer cryin' out loud!

And our Local Tiki Watering Hole, the "China Inn" on Hornbland in Pacific Beach has some of the best drinks anywhere, and they charge 5 clams for the ride. That's it, 5 claminitos.

Why don't you guys just tell the bartender what you want? I don't get it. Why are you drinking crappy stuff? Write down the ingredients if you have to, he's charging you a sawbuck anyway, work the chump! Don't tell him it's a Mai Tai, tell him its a Trader Vics Special! He'll make it, he's got nuthin' else to do.

T

Cammo said:

Don't tell him it's a Mai Tai, tell him its a Trader Vics Special!

Trader Vic Special...that's good stuff Cam. I certainly will custom order up something when I go back on the 28th for the mug party. Hopefully with the introduction of the new mug the tiki vibe will return for me. I do have a habit of just ordering up a mai tai as a first drink and going from there. How crazy is that, thinking you are actually going to get a "mai tai".

I haven't tasted the Mai Tai at Sam's lately, but I do remember ordering a few drinks at Sam's before and they were ALL the same color. I just stuck to beer when I would go. You have to eat there now, the food is top notch ! This is a restaurant with a bar in it. Come to think of it the old cooking was really bad, prime rib was the worst I have ever had.

I know the place was CLEANED out by thieves that took a lot of the old stuff while it was boarded up. Damn shame that someone would do this. Bad juju. They lost a lot of decor, so in order to help remedy this I am making up some tiki artifacts for them, this should help add some of the tiki back into the place. They will also be starting TIKI TUESDAYS for us tiki peeps with discounted drinks and tiki music.

I have said this before and will say it again, I'm just glad Sam's is open. How many bars have we lost? Never to be enjoyed again. Is the new Sam's the old Sam's , no. The only way to get it back is to build a time machine. I am sure they will be adding more decor as time goes on just like every other bar has done. It is all about layers in a tiki decor job. There is still alot of MANA left in the place, you can feel it. I would suggest you go into Sam's now with an open mind as if you had never been in there. If this place was a new building and business with no history, we would be raving about it hands down. I say we all give Sam's a chance and do our part to make sure we don't lose this one again forever.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Jul 8, 2007 6:32 AM

Diablo - make as many 'tiki artifacts' as possible and git them in there NOW! You make the best stuff!

Nonetheless, funny you should mention it, but I am building a time machine in my garage. It will maximize the sub-quanta discord of a typical vortex-modelled stasis field; in other words, it will drop you back in time to exactly when you want for as long as the field is open. It's pretty much a switch-on, switch-off operation.

So, anybody got one of those extremely high velocity coil acceleration dampers that they used to make in the late '70s? They're kind of hard to find.

T

Tiki Diablo said:

There is still alot of MANA left in the place, you can feel it.

I agree and I too am glad it is open again. However, there is a big hole in the place and everytime James Brown comes on the box a little of that MANA is leaking out. I hate to be the wet blanket here, just sharing some honest feelings. True about the drinks before not being the best but if you sat at the front bar when Tommy was pouring he would make you up a drinkable "trader vics special" with Bacardi, Myers and maitai mix. Sam's was my local watering hole for too many years. During the hiatus I was spending time down the street at Harpoon Harrys (not a tiki bar but killer drinks, killer food)
Sam's future is still in doubt to some extent. It goes up for review by the Coastal Commission in another four years and it could end up being condos, that is the real shame.

[ Edited by: tikihai 2007-07-31 15:23 ]

Pages: 1 24 replies