Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

sams now open!!!!

Pages: 1 21 replies

Hey everyone at Tiki Central, we are now open at Sams with a new menu , new look and great drinks. Please stop by and let me know what you think about what has been done to the place and the recipes of our drinks. We will be having our mugs ready at the end of July with Holden and Sam gambino who designed the mugs to unveil the finished product and have the mugs signed by Sam.
Hope you enjoy all the work we did to save Sams from the chopping block. Alan

Excellent news!
I love the signs.

The wife and I went today, good drinks ( Samsback, buy intoxica and grog log please!; http://www.beachbumberry.com/tradingpost/ )
good look (but needs a little more light to read the menu) and AWESOME FOOD!!!. I never expected such amazing food, I was expecting good, but we got some of the best we have eaten in many months, it is very close to trader vics for food quality. Some of the drinks are from the orig sams menu and some are modern, I loved the lapu-lapu which is big, strong and $17!!, but worth it. The decor is very cool, kinda modern tiki and bali/indonesian in the restaurant , but the bar is proper tiki with amazing woodwork,new puffer fish and cool fishing floats that light up.The rattan/thatch/bamboo is amazing, love that Ben dude!!.It is a welcome upgrade. Well done. As long as you don't expect it to be like it was when it opened in'61, you will not be bummin'.Just walk in fresh, bring some cash and tell them they need RIBS!!.pics coming. Enjoy. TWT

[ Edited by: twowheelin'tiki 2007-06-24 20:45 ]

[ Edited by: twowheelin'tiki 2007-06-24 20:49 ]

T

Excellent news!

Mahalo,
Tikitatt
http://www.MySpace.com/Tikitatt

C

Thanks for all of your hard work, Samsback to bring Sam's back to us!! :)
I look forward to seeing it again when we travel up to L.A. the week after Oasis before heading back to cheeseland. Also glad to hear that you'll have the mugs by then :wink:

Hope business is going GREAT!!!!!!

The Missus and I stopped in for a few drinks yesterday. Bar looks real nice. The restaurant is nice and dark, like a proper tiki temple should be. Some of the newer tikis are definitely Balinese or Indonesian, but they look real good. The big garden/waterfall with the tiki in the main dining area is intact (Thank God!).
The booths have all been refurbished, cushions are brand new. The bar has a much more open feel to it now but the fish tank is gone.
All in all, we're pretty happy. You can't please everyone, but I think they did a pretty good job in there. At the very least, I'm sure everyone will be pleased that Sam's got saved from the wrecking ball.
The Mai Tai I had reminded me of the Surf Room Mai Tai recipe from Intoxica-- Orange and Pineapple juice, but I think I got some Malibu rum in mine, or something. It was a good drink, and I'd have one again. It did not have grenadine in it, which I was really happy about! I'd love if you could get the original Trader Vic's recipe Mai Tai. That would have totally made my day. I didn't see a drink menu when we were there, so I missed out on the Lapu Lapu. Dang it!
The food menu looks pretty good. We only ordered some french fries to munch on while working over the drinks. They were the real skinny kind, and had something like chives on 'em. Tasty! All the other stuff on the menu sounded pretty good, too. I ditto the call for ribs!
The music was sort of electronica/lounge type stuff. I'm not really into it, but it was alright. Sort of took away from the tropical feel of the restaurant and bar. I wouldn't demand a strict exotica soundtrack, but a little Martin Denny here and there would be cool. On the plus side, the music was not so loud that we couldn't talk to each other, and it was not hip-hop. Those are both major issues I've had with some of the newer tiki bars-- Taboo Cove and Mr. Tiki's in San Diego. What's the fun in having to scream at someone standing right next to you?
Can't wait for the new mugs to show up! I'll be looking for the drink menu next time I'm there!
Thanks to Samsback for keeping Sam's up and running.
PS-- Buy more rum! I only saw Cruzan, Bacardi, Mount Gay and Captain Morgan up there. You need some Lemon Hart, Appleton and St. James. Mmmmm, Rum.......

T

On 2007-06-25 12:29, TikiJosh wrote:
The Missus and I stopped in for a few drinks yesterday. Bar looks real nice. The restaurant is nice and dark, like a proper tiki temple should be. Some of the newer tikis are definitely Balinese or Indonesian, but they look real good. The big garden/waterfall with the tiki in the main dining area is intact (Thank God!).
The booths have all been refurbished, cushions are brand new. The bar has a much more open feel to it now but the fish tank is gone.
All in all, we're pretty happy. You can't please everyone, but I think they did a pretty good job in there. At the very least, I'm sure everyone will be pleased that Sam's got saved from the wrecking ball.
The Mai Tai I had reminded me of the Surf Room Mai Tai recipe from Intoxica-- Orange and Pineapple juice, but I think I got some Malibu rum in mine, or something. It was a good drink, and I'd have one again. It did not have grenadine in it, which I was really happy about! I'd love if you could get the original Trader Vic's recipe Mai Tai. That would have totally made my day. I didn't see a drink menu when we were there, so I missed out on the Lapu Lapu. Dang it!
The food menu looks pretty good. We only ordered some french fries to munch on while working over the drinks. They were the real skinny kind, and had something like chives on 'em. Tasty! All the other stuff on the menu sounded pretty good, too. I ditto the call for ribs!
The music was sort of electronica/lounge type stuff. I'm not really into it, but it was alright. Sort of took away from the tropical feel of the restaurant and bar. I wouldn't demand a strict exotica soundtrack, but a little Martin Denny here and there would be cool. On the plus side, the music was not so loud that we couldn't talk to each other, and it was not hip-hop. Those are both major issues I've had with some of the newer tiki bars-- Taboo Cove and Mr. Tiki's in San Diego. What's the fun in having to scream at someone standing right next to you?
Can't wait for the new mugs to show up! I'll be looking for the drink menu next time I'm there!
Thanks to Samsback for keeping Sam's up and running.
PS-- Buy more rum! I only saw Cruzan, Bacardi, Mount Gay and Captain Morgan up there. You need some Lemon Hart, Appleton and St. James. Mmmmm, Rum.......

I agree about music volume...nothing more annoying than trying to eat your dinner with LOUD music...talk about OGEDA.... And, yes, having to shout is REALLY annoying.

Samsback....How about some Martin Denny for a guy ?

Yea, they should be playing the appropos music in there...I mean, if you're gonna do a Tiki restaurant....do a TIKI RESTAURANT...the music is a big part of the atmosphere.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-06-25 16:14 ]

In sams defense, they were not striving for an old school tiki place, they strove for and got a cool,upgraded, modern tropical slice of paradise without too much of the goofy stuff we love that would make most customers smirk and turn tail. There is a delicate balance when taking over a sound business, but taking over a sinking, barely alive business is real tricky!.The vibe in this place is real nice. If you took away the tiki stuff and we walked in for lunch without knowing of it's tiki past, we would have a damn fine meal in a nice place. But the tiki past done correctly, as it has been done is icing on the cake!. When we gently prod them to kick the drinks up to par with the food, it will be the top tiki palace in southern california(since trader vics is now a little pool bar).If we desire old school tiki fun, we can go to Bahooka, you want a classy joint to impress someone while giving your pals a tiki vibe they can handle?, go to sams. PLEASE be constructive in any negative feedback you give and remember, this place has to make it in the real world, not just our "tiki" world. They invested alot of $$ and sweat in this place, look for the positive and you will be impressed.

Thank God, someone saved it and kept it Tiki! Too many places get saved and get a total revamp. Thanks again Samback.

Tikiphantom

WooHooo! TGIF at Sam's Seafood

Date: Friday, June 29th

Time: 7:00 (Sam's Opens at 4:00 on Fridays)

Where: Meet in the Bar

PM me if you would like to be added to our Dinner Reservation :)

*There is a DJ Friday Nights :)

Sam's Seafood
16278 South Pacific Coast Highway
Huntington Beach, 92649
562-592-1321

some pics.

[ Edited by: twowheelin'tiki 2007-06-25 22:30 ]

On 2007-06-25 19:19, twowheelin'tiki wrote:
In sams defense, they were not striving for an old school tiki place, they strove for and got a cool,upgraded, modern tropical slice of paradise without too much of the goofy stuff we love that would make most customers smirk and turn tail. There is a delicate balance when taking over a sound business, but taking over a sinking, barely alive business is real tricky!.The vibe in this place is real nice. If you took away the tiki stuff and we walked in for lunch without knowing of it's tiki past, we would have a damn fine meal in a nice place. But the tiki past done correctly, as it has been done is icing on the cake!. When we gently prod them to kick the drinks up to par with the food, it will be the top tiki palace in southern california(since trader vics is now a little pool bar).If we desire old school tiki fun, we can go to Bahooka, you want a classy joint to impress someone while giving your pals a tiki vibe they can handle?, go to sams. PLEASE be constructive in any negative feedback you give and remember, this place has to make it in the real world, not just our "tiki" world. They invested alot of $$ and sweat in this place, look for the positive and you will be impressed.

Definitely wasn't attacking Sam's....I'm as happy as anyone that they re-opened. I'm glad they updated the food menu, it really needed it. The owners do come in here to see what people are looking for, so I just figured, make a request, and see what happens. I totally applaud them for re-opening, especially for getting Bamboo Ben to do his magic in there. Definitely shows that their hearts are in the right place. The music is just something I feel strongly about, that's all. I can't wait to check it out and look forward to the new menu as well as all the remodeled interior.

I hear ya. Maybe if we do a big blast down there we can request a little exotica in advance and even bring the cd ourselves. I think the hot ticket will be for TC to take over the hidden village, blast exotica and have a ball!. By the way, it is very intact and seems to be getting only a needed freshening up and fireproofing. pics to follow

On 2007-06-26 07:16, twowheelin'tiki wrote:
I hear ya. Maybe if we do a big blast down there we can request a little exotica in advance and even bring the cd ourselves. I think the hot ticket will be for TC to take over the hidden village, blast exotica and have a ball!. By the way, it is very intact and seems to be getting only a needed freshening up and fireproofing. pics to follow

Man, The Hidden Village...I can't WAIT for that. That altar wuith the Tiki waterfall is amazing.

Yea, let's have TC bash in there.

Maybe a big TC / Art show / Exotica Party.

How bout it Grog ?

Aloha! The other half of Samsback here- Just wanted to thank everyone for coming out!! And to let you know that the restoration of Sam's is a work in progress. Anyone with cool old pics, etc. we would love to put them up. Also in addition to bamboo ben, we would like to make sure that Tiki Diablo(Danny Gallardo) gets his props as he has been a very active part of helping to restore Sam's and for the most beautiful sign and bar!! Also Holden and Sam G. (tikifarmers)for their amazing creativity and support and oceanic arts, especially susan, for endless help and being a reason to drive to whittier! There are more tiki items arriving so We are reading your posts and will absolutely do our best to make many tiki dreams come true. The tiki drink recipes are actually dated 1957 and Malibu should not ever showup in a MaiTai (please force any bartenders doing so to walk the plank)the numerous tiki recipes we are using are from the bar manual from 1957 written by a professor at Honolulu City College for their bartender program and were then used at Sam's (they were in a box in the basement with notes from the bartenders from back then)We are thrilled you are loving the food. We are very excited to see all of you. Our hours are Tuesday thru Thursday from 5pm to 10pm for food and 11pm for the bar, Friday 5pm to 10pm for full menu, 10pm to 1am for latenite dining and bar,Saturday we open at 2pm and have latenite dining till 1am Sundays are the luaus at 4pm and we go to bed early at 9pm. Good tiki girls need their beauty winks!Again Mahalo so much for coming out!
Sam and Samantha

[ Edited by: Sam and Samantha 2007-06-27 01:47 ]

[ Edited by: Sam and Samantha 2007-06-27 01:49 ]

When will the Sunday Luaus start??

T

I second that. I'm totally up for some TC trips to Sam's.
And lest anyone take anything I said previously the wrong way--
Don't.
Sam's is still a great place. I think they did a very good job restoring everything. The major thing for all of us to remember is that a business has more customers to cater to than just TC folk. If TC patronage was all that was required to keep any business afloat, then TV in Beverly Hills wouldn't have shut down. Having said that, they've still done a great job keeping the tiki feel to the whole place.
When the Missus and I were there last weekend, there were actually people in the bar and dining room. I've been before and been the only person in the bar. I mean, that's just sad.

T

On 2007-06-27 01:30, Sam and Samantha wrote:
There are more tiki items arriving so We are reading your posts and will absolutely do our best to make many tiki dreams come true. The tiki drink recipes are actually dated 1957 and ... are from the bar manual from 1957 written by a professor at Honolulu City College for their bartender program and were then used at Sam's (they were in a box in the basement with notes from the bartenders from back then).
Sam and Samantha

Wow and Wow! That's so cool!
Reminds me of when I realized a Hawaiian cookbook I've got has vintage recipes from the Hawaii Kai in NYC.

On 2007-06-27 16:05, WooHooWahine wrote:
When will the Sunday Luaus start??

I wonder if the hula shows will return.

To answer your questions...Luaus and surf bands at Sams!!! The Luau will be Sundays starting mid July (will repost) from 4pm to 7pm. It is not a stage show anymore as we are unable to use the back rooms currently and we feel it is more fun to have it be interactive with no set pricing to see the show, so come comfortable ready for libations!! It is cool with us to come hang out and have a couple cocktails and apps and watch the dancers and musicians. BTW the groups are rotating between Nonosina an upbeat Tahitian style and A Hawaiian Experience a beautiful traditional style(We are currently looking for good surf bands as well)The bands can be on Saturday/Sunday afternoons, FYI we uncovered a forgotten patio in front of the restaurant that was a ginormous storage closet for about 18years, so if you ride a motorcycle or have a cool car you want to be able to see your prized possession while you eat you can! (A sore subject with my better half)We are very excited to see you all and yes you can bring some tunes and we can play 'em for ya! But, please remember there are non tikis in the house as well! Be sure to explain to the non tikis that the "humuhmunukunukuapuaa of the day" is not really a humuhumunukunukuapuaa- first off, that would have to be popcorn hhnnapuaa- it is just more fun than saying fish of the day!! Thanks for the interest! Samantha

UB

So is it called Kona now?

C
Chub posted on Sat, May 3, 2008 12:24 AM

Was just there last week and it was still called "Sam's Seafood".

Pages: 1 21 replies