Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

tikiyaki orchestra - stereoexotique - now available for order !!!

Pages: 1 2 49 replies

T

for those of us that are internet purchasing unable.
will you be at any So.Cal. tiki events selling your cds?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

V

I just ordered it. your CD will be listened in the exotic city of Paris !!

..and the not nearly as exotic as Paris city of Sacramento :lol:

Oh wow! I can't wait to see the whole CD package! I'm dying to see how the interior liner notes came out - (with the art I did for it). I guess I had to expain that so folks wouldn't think I was just some crazy Liner Notes Loving Nut. Anyways, can't wait!
Big aloha from the Volcano!

K

I've been listening to the jukebox...good stuff. Is the CD in mono too?

T

On 2007-06-29 12:45, Kenike wrote:
I've been listening to the jukebox...good stuff. Is the CD in mono too?

LOL...no....I know it says "StereoExotique" jukebox....Sorry, Flashplayer is in mono. Don't really know why that is...maybe faster load time.

Album is in StereoExotic Hi-Fi sound !

...ordered and will be listed to....up the road from the not-to-exotic Sacramento....but sin city of Lincoln. :drink: :music:

I will also be sure to have it blaring from the Bose in my Murano with the Moon Roof open on my extreme commutes. :)

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-06-29 20:06 ]

WOW!!!!!

My Tikiyaki CD arrived yesterday and it definitely has exceeded my expectations.

It has wonderful arrangements in the classic "old school" Exotica mold. "Waikiki Serenade" and "Shaka Hula Bossa Nova" are two of my favorites tracks. Lots of vibes and infectiously upbeat!!

It is very refreshing to hear this type of music being played by new artists who are obviously familiar with the territory.

Pick this up NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

S

Just bought the CD . In about a week the natives here in my hinterland Kumamoto Japan mountainmanland neighborhood are going to get an exotic earful of sounds ...

T

On 2007-07-02 01:37, sushiman wrote:
Just bought the CD . In about a week the natives here in my hinterland Kumamoto Japan mountainmanland neighborhood are going to get an exotic earful of sounds ...

Hai !

R
rupe33 posted on Mon, Jul 2, 2007 8:36 PM

I was very pleased to discover my copy of 'Stereoexotique' had arrived in the mail today; on the package was written "Order #1 - thanks!", so many mahalos in return for that bit of festivity.

Just listened to the disc for the first time and it's terrific! Thanks, Jim, for letting us all know - the MP3s on your site whetted my appetite for the full-length and it does not disappoint.

Also - there are some VERY fun packaging elements with the CD that make it worth getting a hard copy! I'll say no more to keep it a surprise for those who've ordered already, but very inventive and cool.

Get it today!
~Rupe

"All the salty margaritas in Los Angeles... I'm gonna drink 'em up."
---Warren Zevon, 'Desperadoes Under The Eaves'

L

Just got mine yesterday and it hasn't left my CD player!
Awesome is an understatement! It is easily my new favorite "modern exotica" record.
The disc has a nice blend of jungle beat rhythms, exotica and loungy surf (ala Blue Hawaiians - Sway). I love the spaghetti-western surf inspired "Black Sand, Blue Sea"!
I knew when I listened to the samples on the Jukebox, that I would like this record, but it has far exceeded my expectations as well! (If I sound like I'm gushing, it's because I am!)
Also, coming from someone who has spent some time in the recording studio, I can say that it has that nice "fat" full bodied sound that so many musicians try to capture.
Add to this some great artwork and graphics, and as Rupe stated, some neat packaging elements, you have a solid high quality product from start to finish!
ORDER IT TODAY, YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!!

Just an all around fantastic effort Jim. Got my copy Tuesday and like others here it's getting a lot of play time. The percussion throughout the record stands out to me beginning with the opening track. It has familiar exotica appeal, but in a completely original way, plus damn good sonics. 5 out of 5
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Cheers

[ Edited by: alohacurrent 2007-07-05 10:30 ]

IZ

Just ordered my copy. Looking forward to the CD. It'll definitely get some airtime on Jet Set Planet.

~glen

P
pablus posted on Thu, Jul 5, 2007 1:33 PM

CD sounds great.
Love the schwag.

Zazz.

T

Many mahalos folks, your kind words mean alot.

So...what color umbrellas did you guys get ?

:P

Jim

K
Kenike posted on Thu, Jul 5, 2007 5:29 PM

Blue.

Great, great album. Fantastic arrangements and the mix is right on the money.

Put me down for the 2nd album too!

From the mastermind of Jim Bacchi, 'Stereoexotique' is something very, very special, highly significant, and in all ways goes beyond expectations.

Performed by Jim Bacchi with four songs featuring Gary Brandin on Hawaiian Lap Steel, and containing 12 instrumental tracks of music (the first being a brief intro of windchimes, waves, jungle noises and exciting native percussion), 'Stereo Exotique' is skillfully arranged and thought out, containing lots of percussion, vibes, piano, organ, guitar, bass, and lap steel. When present, the jungle noises and sound effects (e.g., bird calls, waves) are kept to a minimum and in the background, lending atmosphere without being obtrusive. The music is very relaxing, but is never dull nor unentertaining; basically, like a lot of instrumental Exotica and Lounge music, relaxingly energetic or vice versa.

Though it is clear that Jim has respect for, knowledge of, and was inspired by the Exotica and Lounge music of old, when listening to 'Stereo Exotique', one will recognise similarities of early Friends Of Dean Martinez, Combustible Edison, and Tipsy. But unlike The Friends Of Dean Martinez, the music isn't dark and moody; unlike Combustible Edison, the music doesn't have vocals and doesn't sound like it should be accompanying a Saturday morning kid's show or something off Nickelodeon; unlike Tipsy in that it doesn't have repetitious loops. And, with the exception of a couple songs that have a more contemporary flair/sound quality to them, these recordings could've easily come out as far back as the early 1970s.

The sound quality itself is crystal clear, vibrant, and has excellent clarity; it'll sound good on any set of speakers. The CD art (Brad Parker) and packaging is another plus and worth having in your hands.

Call it Neo-Exotica or Neo-Lounge, do yourself a favour, folks, and get the CD. Since 'Cocktails With Joey' by Joey Altruda, I've been waiting for somebody else to do it right for a long time, and finally someone has.

Mahalo, Tikiyaki!!!

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2007-07-07 23:52 ]

Nice review Terence!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2007-07-07 12:53 ]

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2007-07-07 12:53 ]

T

Terence...Big Mahalos.

I hope you guys don't mind, but I'm using quotes from your reviews here when I send messages out via myspace and email...Being that there are only a few magazines who would actually review such a record, I'd like to quote the people I consider "experts" in Tiki...ie: Tiki Centralites.

OMG...I am breathless.....just awesome music and the artwork and schwag is absolutely brilliant. I have the pink umbrella. My suv is in the bodyshop for a few weeks and I miss my Bose stereo....the only thing that is going to save me from the insanity of driving a rental is your CD....bless you!!! :D

S

On a gloomy & gray rainy season afternoon in the Japanese boondocks , a ray of sunshine arrived in the form of The Tiki Orchestra CD , which I'm listening to now . Terence's review pretty much sums up my own impressions . Yass ...upbeat & bouncy much of the time ; percussive but not overly so ; surfy electric guitar twangs ; Lyman-esque vibetones send a shiver up my spine ...Dig the organ background sounds which add another dimension ...21st century exotic vibe which pays homage to the exotica of the 50's ...Superstuff...and I got a chartreuse green umbrella !

Listened to it straight for 3 hours on my way to work and 3 hours on my way home today. I loveitloveitloveit, but am partial to track 8 & 11. :)

I can use the last track on repeat to help me here in Sacramento....if I turn it to just the right volume and open my shudders up, it will feel like the canyon is the ocean......THANKS

T

LOL...I knew SOMEONE would find a use for 4 minutes of Ocean sounds :D

I figured it would be for falling asleep to. (if you're not asleep already, that is :)

That is too coincidental. I am a life-long insomniac. About 10 years ago I tried out a sound machine on the "ocean" setting and it has been such a help to me. I wore out my original sound machine, so got a second one but the ocean setting has an annoying seagull squawking in it.....not conducive to a relaxing sleep...so I use the white noise...not as much fun. :lol:

EVERYONE NEEDS TO BUY THIS CD....IT IS AWESOME. :D

IZ

Excellent CD! I received mine yesterday and checked it out right away. It is very impressive! The percussion work alone is worth the price of admission. If you haven't already, you need to order this CD right away!

It will go into rotation on Jet Set Planet starting next week, along with the new CDs by Drasnin and Waitiki (both of which have been getting air play).

~glen
http://www.jetsetplanet.com

P

I got pink and I'm a little disappointed because I specifically asked for a paisley tan and orange.
Oh wait, those were my Vans.

Yeah, pink.
Patrick Starr.

RB

Echoing the many rave reviews above...this is great stuff. Well done!

T

I just received my copy late last week. Outstanding! This is exotica in it's purest form. Well done, Jim!

K

I'm a great collector of Hawaiian and exotica LPs and have honestly not been much of a fan of most contemporary "tiki" music. However, this Tikiyaki Orchestra has hit the nail RIGHT on the head for me! It doesn't go off too far in the "surf" direction (which for me just isn't "tiki" anymore than Jimmy Buffett). It almost seems as if it could have been a "lost" recording of Arthur Lyman. I love it!

What else can be said about the effort Jim and end result of the Tikiyaki Orchestra's extraordinary first CD. I know I am it late in chiming in but heck this thread really needs to be bumped again. Mahalo for the magical tunes Jim! I can't wait to get my ears wrapped around the next T.O release.

P.S. I got a green umbrella and my coaster is one of my first TC decorations in my new office. SWEET!

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

T

On 2007-07-28 13:21, Chongolio wrote:
What else can be said about the effort Jim and end result of the Tikiyaki Orchestra's extraordinary first CD. I know I am it late in chiming in but heck this thread really needs to be bumped again. Mahalo for the magical tunes Jim! I can't wait to get my ears wrapped around the next T.O release.

P.S. I got a green umbrella and my coaster is one of my first TC decorations in my new office. SWEET!

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

Mahalo Chongolio !

You have been most helpful, with the podcast, and the download vs CD thread. Your Podcast led me to Squid, which led me to Digitiki, who is now playing keyboards for the LIVE version of the Tikiyaki Orchestra, soon to make their debut in the near future.

This thread can always use a bump :)

BTW...I will almost definitely be in Kauai in Mid August. Will you be around ?

IZ

On 2007-07-28 15:02, tikiyaki wrote:

This thread can always use a bump :)

Amen to that! On Monday night (July 30), Tikiyaki is going to be in a set of exotica on Jet Set Planet that should be alot of fun. Here's the playlist excerpt (Artist/Song/Album/Label):

Al Caiola /Tiny Bubbles/King Guitar/UA

Arthur Lyman/Magic Island/The Legend of Pele/Hi-Fi Records

The Tikiyaki Orchestra/Road to Punalu’u/Stereoexotique/www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

The Beat of Tahiti/Small Drums/The Exotic Rhythms of Tahiti/Tiare Tahiti

Erotic Percussion/Rain Drops/Erotic Percussion/Omega

Waitiki/Tiki/Rendezvous in Okonkuluku/www.waitiki.com

Thanks again for such a terrific CD!

~glen
http://www.jetsetplanet.com

T

YEA !

Mahalo Glen !

On 2007-07-16 13:02, Kaiwaza wrote:
I'm a great collector of Hawaiian and exotica LPs and have honestly not been much of a fan of most contemporary "tiki" music. However, this Tikiyaki Orchestra has hit the nail RIGHT on the head for me! It doesn't go off too far in the "surf" direction (which for me just isn't "tiki" anymore than Jimmy Buffett). It almost seems as if it could have been a "lost" recording of Arthur Lyman. I love it!

I find this statement to be so true. Thank god for artists like Tikiyaki, who realize what classic "tiki" music is, and should be. I know this will piss off a few people, but original Tiki music was played by professional studio and jazz musicians, back in the day, not garage rock bands playing simple surf riffs and having 3-4 chords under their belts, or ex-punkers on the "punk rock retirement plan" of Rockbilly, surf, or quasi-lounge. Arthur Lyman, martin Denny, Les Baxter, and now Tikiyaki, were/are serious musicians with actual music theory in their heads, not amatuers or non professionals. Anyone playing this kind of music today should be supported completely, by actually coming to gigs, and buying the records.

Jim,
I know a guy that plays stand up bass, and wants to do Exotica,
should I hook you 2 up?
or do you already have somebody?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2007-07-30 09:26, bigtikidude wrote:
Jim,
should I hook you 2 up?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I do now. I pretty much have the complete orchestra. Look for an upcoming special, surprise debut gig. That's all I'm saying right now. :)

Jim

It was a pleasure talking music with you at TikiFarm . When you said you were putting together a live project I didn't realize you were so close to bringing it all together. Looking forward to hearing Stereoexotique beginning to end with a 10+ piece orchestra. Got any target dates?

On 2007-07-30 10:34, alohacurrent wrote:
Jim

It was a pleasure talking music with you at TikiFarm . When you said you were putting together a live project I didn't realize you were so close to bringing it all together. Looking forward to hearing Stereoexotique beginning to end with a 10+ piece orchestra. Got any target dates?

Great meeting you too Brad !
It kinda came together faster than I expected, which is always nice. Fall is the target, and I'll have something more specific, date-wise next month.

OK somebody bettah record this show. Videotape even better Billy! I ain't playin' around... Who is gonna do it? With Jim's permission of course.

Chongolio

On 2007-07-30 10:12, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2007-07-30 09:26, bigtikidude wrote:
Jim,
should I hook you 2 up?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I do now. I pretty much have the complete orchestra. Look for an upcoming special, surprise debut gig. That's all I'm saying right now. :)

Have you had that bass player for awhile, or did you just get him?
I played the cd for the guy I know, and he memorized your e-mail addy, to contact you I think.

either way, can't wait to see ya play live.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2007-07-30 22:15 ]

I've got to order me this CD! BTD sent me the link and I was playing the tunes, great stuff!

S

When Jim gets back from Hawaii I'm going to order a bunch of CDs for friends of mine . Early Christmas presents . Hehe...

Jim , if I were near you , and you deemed my drumming / percussion work worthy , I'd LOVE to be your skins guy man - seriously !

Jim,
Great background music for parties and the office! Great driving music! Great relaxing/kicking back with a Mai-Tai music!!!

Someone mentioned buying some for Christmas gifts....Put me down for a dozen!!!

I'm glad to see so many people enjoying your music!!!

Does this mean the little 3 track sampler you put out will be a collector's item someday???

On 2007-07-03 19:03, Lukeulele wrote:
Just got mine yesterday and it hasn't left my CD player!
Awesome is an understatement! It is easily my new favorite "modern exotica" record.
The disc has a nice blend of jungle beat rhythms, exotica and loungy surf (ala Blue Hawaiians - Sway). I love the spaghetti-western surf inspired "Black Sand, Blue Sea"!
I knew when I listened to the samples on the Jukebox, that I would like this record, but it has far exceeded my expectations as well! (If I sound like I'm gushing, it's because I am!)
Also, coming from someone who has spent some time in the recording studio, I can say that it has that nice "fat" full bodied sound that so many musicians try to capture.
Add to this some great artwork and graphics, and as Rupe stated, some neat packaging elements, you have a solid high quality product from start to finish!
ORDER IT TODAY, YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!!

OK, almost two months since I got it and I am STILL listening to it on a regular basis. I usually don't listen to Exotica when I am driving around, but this one is an exception!
Killer, killer disc!
If you don't have it yet, GET IT!!

T

Mahalo Lukulele.

Look for a LIVE version of the Orchestra coming very soon, and some big announcements regarding this in the next week or so.

BTW, I've gotten many comments on how this CD really helps get people through some horrible rush hour traffic jams. :)

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-08-29 18:12 ]

J

Great CD! Found the link to it here on the board and had to add it to my collection. It will be played extensively at my upcoming tiki party! Great work and love the packaging.

Pages: 1 2 49 replies