Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

My first home-made Float Light!

Pages: 1 12 replies

K

I gotta say, everyone here is so full of good ideas, I couldn't help but be inspired to make a floatlight.
I went on eBay and looked at all of the glass floats that were for sale, and I liked the ones from Japan the most. So I combined that look with the classic look and came up with this...

It started as a 10" light globe that I bought at a thrift store for a buck. I fitted a standard light fixture into it and made a watertight cap to seal off the open end. (I plan to hang this one outside)I have a 25 watt, flame textured bulb in there now.
The tying only took about an hour,I know it's still a little funky- but I can adjust it. I had to dye the cotton washline rope to a dark green-brown first, I didn't want it to be glaring white.

I'd love to hear your comments!

Kelly

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jun 28, 2007 7:47 PM

Looks great! More :D

TL

Looks great. Considering that you made it and did not break it, you should would be very proud of the finished product. May be you have a gift and a product you can provide to the TIKI community.

[ Edited by: T1K1 LEE 2007-06-28 22:07 ]

Kelly,

That is awesome! It's very beautiful and has such a magical tiki flav to it.

Take care,

I.

I was just thinking that, too, about making this available to the community!

I know I can't knot string like that...I just finger paint. :P

Peace,

I.

Very nice work. How did you make the hole?

S

[gecko]Das da island way brah. Mak it ya sef 'n' enjoy. Get piece fro' ere and dere and make sumptin'. Das da pono.[/gecko]

T

Lookin good!
I see that on the bottom you used a rattan ring.
You can make this ring out of rope twisted around itself.
Then I glue it so it sticks together.
This is how the floats are done.
Keep it up.

K

I want to do some more. I'll post a How-To as too how I-dunnit. I'm no authority, but but it seems to work.

Pappythesailor- I didn't need to make a hole since I started with a lamp globe that already had a 3 1/2" hole already.

TikiSkip- In that pic it does look like a rattan ring, but is actually is rope. It just looks more perfect than it really is in this shot.

Here's a pic of the lamp hardware, and the globe, before I laced it up.
The amber colored bulb added a lot to the effect.

Thanks gang- More stuff to come!

Shipwreck Kelly

Amazing transformation, looks really nice!

I have a few globes like that, do you or anyone know where i can get a lid for it? I have a few swag lamp kits, but nothing to cover the hole. These globes were cieling fan globes.

T

Ya don't need it.
You can have the net hold the globe and light in place.
Or if needed you can tie a piece of wire to the lamp cord
then wedge inside the globe.

On 2007-07-15 12:53, Unkle John wrote:
I have a few globes like that, do you or anyone know where i can get a lid for it? I have a few swag lamp kits, but nothing to cover the hole. These globes were cieling fan globes.

Take a look at these
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90197610

or these

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70096377

or these

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50378900

I am currently working on one using the table lamp... looks good so far.

Pages: 1 12 replies