Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Ivan's Tiki and Non-Tiki Art updated 09-01-08

Pages: 1 37 replies

Hi all!

I'm thrilled to have found Tiki Central! What a vibrant and fun community, I really look forward to sharing my work and participating with you all!

To start things off, here's my first ever tiki painting--and it's a trip-tiki! (I couldn't stop at just one.)

I finger paint 99.9% of my work and I usually use oils (non-toxic professional grade), but for this piece I wanted to try acrylics. So many people's work I admire (most notably SHAG) use acrylic, so I wanted to go for similar bright colors while painting tiki in my own style.

This is what turned out. Despite the order in the pic, I painted Ku first, the Moai second, and the Marquesa style tiki last.

Thanks for checking out my art!

Mahalo!

I.

Ivan Chan Studio: Invite Beauty
http://ivanchan.com

[ Edited by: ivanchan 2007-08-24 17:00 ]

[ Edited by: ivanchan 2008-09-01 11:20 ]

K

WOW! Very colorful, and fun! I particularly like the looseness and the way I can almost feel a cool breeze through them!
(Cool breeze?- Am I nuts?) I just love 'em!

Keep on creatin'!

Shipwreck Kelly

[ Edited by: Kewlava 2007-06-29 10:18 ]

R

sweet colors - lookin good, those 12"x24" canvases are perfect for tikis aren't they?

Thanks, Kelly and Rastiki!

(And no, Kelly, you're not nuts. :) Some color combos also make paintings look like they're "breathing"...man, I gotta lay off the mai tai... :) ).

Rastiki, yeah, that ratio is great. My paintings are actually 10" x 20" each, but it's so perfect for tikis! I'm thinking about doing more of a landscape scene, and may use a 20" x 30" canvas for that (another favorite size).

Thanks for checking out my work and the compliments!

Mahalo,

I.

sweet work and welcome to tc and keep up the good work

Welcome aboard and keep slingin' the paint!

I

Thanks, Pagan! :)

Take care,

I.

I

Thanks, tiki beat!

I love it on TC! If I didn't have to paint, I'd probably be on here for days going through all the great posts.

Thanks for checking out my work!

Take care,

I.

Welcome, dude... dig the colors and style of your work.

I

Thanks, Freddie!

I'm enjoying my time here at TC!

More tiki paintings in the works. They're addictive!

Take care,

I.

Great finger work! I blend using my fingertips sometimes. Nice colors too....

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-06-29 22:47 ]

Thank you, Sam!

I should let you know, I'm a HUGE fan of your work. :)

So your compliment means a lot to me. Thank you.

Take care,

I.

ivanchan!
Really like your colors as well,mixed with that controlled rawness
does get the eyes a zingin!
kinda like that Pokemon/Picachu/Epileptic scenario a few years back!
Welcome to the TC Ohana/Tiki Artist Collective!
This area and Carving should be called "Inspiration Alley"!
There's a gazillion artists on here,all doing there thangs and
sharing their work! So much to look at an enjoy!
How's the surf over there in Santa Cruz today? :)

Hey, hey, Ken!

Thanks for the compliments! Hm, Pokemon...haven't seen much of it, but that would be an interesting variation on tiki, wouldn't it?

Surf's great in Santa Cruz! Gorgeous weather we've been having--can see all the way across to Monterey--usually, it's a dark blue outline like low-lying clouds.

How's Huntington Beach? I've got family down that-a-ways.

Take care,

I.

I

Hi all!

Here's my latest, a Magritte-inspired surrealist rendition of Tangaroa!

Thanks for checking out my work! :)

Mahalo,

I.

I

Face the Tiki, acrylic on canvas, 15" x 30"

I dig how you are breaking the forms down and using tiki more abstractly! Nice work!

I

Thanks, Kevin!

It's definitely an exploration for me (although I have this scenario with bamboo and a tiki in my head :) that might come out sooner rather than later).

Take care,

I.

I

Fugu!, acrylic on canvas, 24" x 24"

I've been jonesing for one of these lamps and I've been bidding on one from one of our fair colleagues on TC!

I thought I'd paint a tribute to it (or my obsession). :)

Enjoy and of course, I'd love to hear what you guys think!

Peace,

I.

M
mieko posted on Thu, Jul 12, 2007 5:12 PM

Awwww, I love the fugu! I really love all the bright colors you use, they make me so happy. :) Well, the Magritte Tang isn't quite happy, but I like it too.
I'd love to have the pufferfish hanging in my office - hey, have you thought about joining the Summer Swap? http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23990&forum=7&49
Fugu would be great, or you could make something new. :)

I

Hi Mieko!

Thanks for checking out my work! That fugu makes me giggle. I think pufferfish are just so darn cute! And yeah, that Magritte Tang--I resisted my bright colors on that one, going for the darker blues and greens of the ocean. I'm glad you like it, too--the pictures don't do it justice (actually, the colors are kind of electric and very striking in daylight).

Anyway, if you'd like the fugu painting, it's up for auction on eBay (I posted in Tiki Marketplace and you can also find it by going to my web site and clicking "shop")!

I'm off to check out the summer swap, thanks for recommending it to me.

Take care,

I.

Here's my latest! I was in a painting frenzy and went back to the happy bright colors that I like so much. The masks that inspired me are so quirky and beautiful, with birds hanging off the chins, foreheads, or coming out of the mouths of these masks! The use of the shells are also fascinating--from borders to representations of the eye.

Thanks for looking!

Peace,

I.

I

Hi all!

I had been keeping my work in this thread related to my tiki art, but since I have several series and don't make art of one subject regularly, I'd like to generalize my thread so I could show my other art in the meantime!

Thanks for your kind attention, and here goes!

Peace,

I.

I

More details about each painting on my web site's gallery!

Sacred Blue Hippo, mixed media on canvas, 16" x 20"
Finger painted on collaged calligraphy paper

Fly Away, mixed media on canvas, 16" x 20"
Finger painted on collaged calligraphy paper

Desire, oil on canvas, 16" x 16"
Finger painted

Across the Sea, oil on canvas, 24" x 30"
Finger painted

More details about each painting on my web site's gallery!

Thanks for checking out my stuff! (See, I ain't been slackin'! :) )

Best,

I.

great texture and expression! Love the Sacred Blue Hippo!

I

Thanks, Kev!

Look forward to your fire-breather and more when you've reloaded your creativity! I noticed my own rhythms, too--it's good to pay attention to them (and you've got a lot on your plate, too, what with flipping a house!)

Take care,

I.

I

Across the Sea, oil on canvas, 24" x 30"
Finger painted

I decided to change this painting--go with my usual way of depicting mermen by not showing their tail. Leave something for the imagination so that viewers can interact with a piece!

Take care,

I.

Koi!

Yo, here's my latest renewed painting (if left with my paintings, I tend to keep working on them, sometimes altering them dramatically).

Thanks to everyone for checking out my work!

Peace,

I.

I

Here's my latest! It's titled, Call of Nature. More details on my web site's gallery!

Also, a free download of this wallpaper titled Tangaroa Dreams for people who subscribe to my newsletter (just send me your email address, which I'll keep safe and secure; unsubscribe at any point by sending me an email--easy!):

Peace,

I.

Ivan Chan Studio: Invite Beauty
http://ivanchan.com

[ Edited by: ivanchan 2007-08-24 17:06 ]

I

Yes, I know it's been a while, but Tikitastic gave me a lot of crap at his party for posting like once a year that I've decided to get off my butt and post some more stuff. I haven't done much tiki art, but there's an element of the spirit in these works ahead. Enjoy!

I

Yeti, oil on canvas, 16" x 20"
Finger painted

I

Sasquatch, oil on canvas, 16" x 20"
Finger painted

I

Bad Rabbit, mixed media on canvas, 12" x 16"
Finger painted

I

I sold the Moai Original Finger Painting from my series, "Something Tiki This Way Comes" (which you can see as a triptych--three-part painting--at the beginning of this thread) and celebrated by creating this magnet.

I love magnets. Sigh.

Anyway, you can find them in my Cafe Press store, just go to my web site and click on "Merchandise" at the top.

Thanks for looking!

Take care,

I.

"Bad Rabbit" is really great. Nice work Ivan!

I

Thanks TSA!

Take care,

I.

:o
i never knew somebody could fingerpaint something like that!
i never even THOUGHT of a fingerpainting as more than a kid's art class project!
the Yetti is one of my official Favorites!!
VERY Cool stuff!

[ Edited by: Tiki Duddy 2008-09-02 10:50 ]

I

Hey, thanks Tiki Duddy!

You can see more of my Original Finger Paintings on my web site (there's a link below my sig).

Take care,

I.

Pages: 1 37 replies