Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Interesting article on Bitters

Pages: 1 9 replies

Add some bitters to a Mojito - really helps the drink in a pleasant way.

Anyone? How much liquid constitutes a dash. Is a dash just one drop?

According to the Bum, and I quote: "A flip of the wrist constitutes a "dash"."
Works for me.

On 2007-07-18 19:37, telescopes wrote:
Anyone? How much liquid constitutes a dash. Is a dash just one drop?

Here is the Bar Measurements page from http://webtender.com.

C

According to Trader Vic's bartender's guide:

Dash (as of sugar syrup, orgeat, grenadine, lemon juice) 1/4 ounce
Dash (as of bitters) 1/8 teaspoon

I usually go by the flip of the wrist too.

Bitters have a spout to make them pour much less.

MT

I can't access the article. Can someone cut and paste the contents here? Thanks!

I spoke to the liqeur manager at Jenson's today and he suggested putting the dash on an ice cube in the shot glass your using and mixing the cube around. After that you then dump the ice cube and left over water melt. What remains will coat the inside of the shot glass and give you the correct amount as you add the additional ingredients and use the shot glass. Sounds good to me.

I am Sandiegodan, in the desert, dying of thirst, and hoping for some really good rum - Ah, to be a desert rat, aaa i mean bum.

On 2007-07-19 20:18, sandiegodan wrote:
I spoke to the liqeur manager at Jenson's today and he suggested putting the dash on an ice cube in the shot glass your using and mixing the cube around. After that you then dump the ice cube and left over water melt. What remains will coat the inside of the shot glass and give you the correct amount as you add the additional ingredients and use the shot glass. Sounds good to me.

I am Sandiegodan, in the desert, dying of thirst, and hoping for some really good rum - Ah, to be a desert rat, aaa i mean bum.

That method isn't even going to come close to giving you enough bitters in a drink. Bitters, despite the name, aren't "nasty" tasting. What blew my mind was talking to my cousin, who was a bartender for many years, and finding out that she didn't put bitters in a Manhattan. Sorry, but if you don't put bitters in a Manhattan, its simply not a Manhattan.

Just add the dash directly to the shaker. In the final product, with the ice, it isn't going to be prominent, and is definitely there to help the drink.

Chris

I have a measuring scoop for a dash. It is definitely more than a couple drops, probably at least 8-10 drops.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but there you go.

Pages: 1 9 replies