Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Burn Notice

Pages: 1 14 replies

I watched the pilot of Burn Notice and it was really very good. I liked the story line, the acting was good, and there was a decent amount of action. Takes place in Florida, so lots of beach babe shots for your guys. The main charater, Michael Westin has a great sardonic manner....I'll be watching this again. Thursday nights on USA.

OVERVIEW

Most people would be thrilled to be on the warm, beautiful sands of South Beach. However, Michael Westen (Jeffrey Donovan) is not "most people." He's got a pesky FBI tail, a violence prone ex-girlfriend looking for closure, and a hypochondriac mother calling him 30 times a day. Yet these are the least of his problems.

After 10 years of serving his country working in Eastern Europe and the OPEC countries as a covert operative, Michael is living every spy's worst nightmare. While in the middle of a dangerous mission in Nigeria, Michael's "contact" informs him that he has been burned. When a spy gets fired, he doesn't get a call from human resources and a gold watch. In Michael's case, they jeopardize his life, freeze his bank accounts, dump him in Miami, and flag him on every government list known to man. They can't take away his skills or what's in his head, so they take away his assets and his resources to make sure he can never work again. They burn him.

Now Michael has a much different mission: he must find out who issued his burn notice and why he was blacklisted so that he can put his life back together. Meanwhile, he has to fend off a suddenly hostile world of old foes gunning for him. In order to survive in Miami and fund his own personal investigation, Michael enlists the help of the only two "friends" he has: Fiona (Gabrielle Anwar) an ex-IRA operative who also happens to be an ex-girlfriend and Sam (Bruce Campbell) a washed-out military intelligence contact whom the feds have keeping an eye on Michael. He's also forced to deal with the family he went halfway around the world to get away from - particularly his mother, Madeline (Sharon Gless), who couldn't be happier to have her son back in town.

Michael, on the other hand, is happiest when he is in a different hemisphere from the rest of his family. He was 17 when he left home to join the military and he never turned back. Now stuck in Miami, the one place he vowed never to return to, he must confront the bad memories of his childhood and repair the broken relationships he left behind.

As he gets closer to the truth, Michael scrapes by helping out whoever needs his services -- mostly desperate people who can't go to the police. Using his Special Ops training, some duct tape and his sardonic humor, Michael becomes a reluctant hero. It's a dangerous gig, but it's the best he can do ... for now.

The second show was on again tonight......I really liked it. Quirky with a good story line and great acting. Give it a spin. :)

MA

I agree, smart, funny show. Great cast. Hope it stays on........Remy

So do I. I have a couple of friends who are small part characters on the show. Want local actors to be employed as much as possible. :D

i enjoy the show as well... but unfortunately, history has shown that when i usually find a show i like (which is rare), it usually ends up getting shit-canned after the first season....so enjoy it while it lasts...i hope i'm wrong, though.

I agree Tipsy. Plus they take a show that is doing well like this one and stick it on a crap night and time to try to increase their viewing base...and it kills the shows.

I really love this show...the mother/son relationship is hysterical. I hope it lasts. :)

.......Last night was another excellent show!! The writing is really good.

A new show on USA tonight....catch it if you can. :)

I've been watching the show since it was reccommended here. Got a season pass on TIVO. Last night I was watching a show and the Bruce Campbell character says about his girlfriend, "She's so cute. Last night she aked me, 'Do bullets come in different sizes?'". Too funny. It's a good show.

Glad to see someone else is enjoying this show too. I hope it comes out on DVD...cause I will buy it. Besides the snappy scripting, I love all the great film work and the Florida backdrop is awesome. It will be off this next week for the US Tennis Open but back with a new one the following week....yeehaw!!!

Two-hour Season Finale of Burn Notice on this coming Thursday at 9/8C.

there were mugs, on mom's shelf in the living room, but I havn't noticed if they broke during the fight

Ooooh...good catch, I will watch for that next time. The Mom's house looks pretty neat...even the outside. Plus she really is a hoot....cough cough....put that cigarette out!!! :lol:

Yee Haw...Burn Notice is back with a new season. I soooo love this show...very avant garde in filming style and great dialog. I'm still watching for Tiki mugs on Mom's mantel...that is a nice mission-style home she lives in.

B

I feel the same way Tipsy does about TV shows - as soon as I like them, their gone - usually replaced with YET ANOTHER HORRIBLE "reality" show. OMG - who are the people WATCHING that pap?! I'm embarassed for those people - they're not too bright, have really big mouths and all they seem to do is cat fight and swear. I know I don't see that going on in MY "reality" - what gives!

Okay, back to Burn Notice - I absolutely LOVE Bruce Campbell "Give us some shoog!" I'm always checking out his shirts! The woman playing Fi needs a little more meat on her bones but her character is great. And that Donovan guy is okay too. Not my cup of tea, but I do appreciate that he doesn't like to use guns if he can help it (except, I guess, when putting it to his own throat in an effort to get the "bad" guys to back off his friends!) Reminded me of Blazing Saddles!

Now, time for an Eli Stone thread!

Pages: 1 14 replies