Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki-Tiki Drops, to ease your Beri-Beri pains

Pages: 1 0 replies

I

Has anyone seen this vitamin supplement product, which is currently marketed in the Phillipines for infants 0 to 12 months old?

It is advertised as having a great fruity flavor. No word, though, on whether it tastes like a mai-tai.

http://www.kabayancentral.com/food/tikitiki.html

I did a little bit of a background on this.

Previous to the early 1900's, infants in the Phillipines and other island nations suffered from a disease called Beri-Beri. (the term is derived from a native phrase which means 'I cannot, I cannot') Beri-beri is a form of Vitamin B1 (Thaiamine) deficiency, common in areas where polished rice serves as a staple food source. Researchers in the Phillipines found a good source to counter the disease in the rice bran husks, which the people had been previously discarding. The resulting extract evolved to the current product name Tiki-tiki.

The following is a description of the process used to make tiki-tiki, from a 1912 Bureau of Science document. I wonder if this may be the earliest reference that links the terms 'tiki' with 'alcohol'

The process mainly involves extraction of tiki-tiki with alcohol, followed by distillation and evaporation until the desired specific gravity of the extract has been obtained. The final product is further heated and pasteurized for 3 successive days and then packed for distribution to the local market

Oddly enough, Beri-Beri is also common today in chronic alcoholics with inadequete diets. The disease also affected some of the WW2 POWs who were serving time on the Phillipine Islands.

Vern

Pages: 1 0 replies