Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Can anyone help with identifying this bowl?

Pages: 1 10 replies

FM

Hi. I'm pretty sure I've seen a picture of this bad boy before, but can't remember where. I've searched Ooga Mooga using every permutation of "bowl" that I can think of and haven't been able to find it. I'm sure someone out there has seen this before, yeah?

• SV

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 15:41 ]

I can identify that I like this bowl alot! Great find, where did you get it?

PTD

T

Don the Beachcomber looks right but this was also used at Trader Franks(?) I believe as well. I can't find my postcard right now but maybe someone else can check it out and post it on line. I am not 100% but I am pretty sure I have seen one in one of the close ups of the interior on the table.
I'll keep looking. Nice find!!! TabooDan

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2008-04-30 14:33 ]

T

It's a great bowl.

It has the same tiki design as the Don the Beachcomber S&Ps, but those actually read "Don the Beachcomber" across the front base.

Photo from the collection of kingstiedye.

FM

This guy was found in Hawaii, which makes me think Don the Beachcomber is right. Trader Franks was in Florida so that seems less likely, but who knows? Any thoughts on the manufacturer?

Thanks everyone for the insight.

• SV
T

Hey Serious Voodoo, I knew that I had seen it at one of the Traders. There were different Traders all over the place. It wasn't Trader Franks in Florida. It was bugging me for a while now so I kept hunting for yah!! Here's what I got:

Johnny Nichols Trader Nick's Restaurant "On the Ocean" in Pismo Beach, California.
And here's the photo I was talking about with your bowl in use and in the restaurant:

And here's one of the inside of a matchbook:

Glad I could help out on this one a bit! TabooDan

Cool. Nice to see it in context. I also like the enormous clamshell bowl in the upper left of the postcard for the SERIOUS drinker.

-SV

Hey Serious Vodoo,
Nice find, I've got the same bowl. Interesting piece as it has no markings but the similarity to the Don the Beachcomber shakers is unmistakeable.
The added Trader Franks/Trader Nicks info is really interesting too... adding more mystery to the mix.
Mahalo everyone.
Aloha,
:tiki:

On 2007-07-07 09:19, serious voodoo wrote:
This guy was found in Hawaii

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 15:41 ]

T

Hello all just my two cents on this bowl, (I just found this post thru the collecting thread) my brother bought one of these at the Bamboo Gardens off the 111 outside of Palm Springs. It's long gone, but the the reason we used to hang out there was a former Don the Beachcomber mixologist "Tony" tending bar, he made amazing drinks and had all kinds of old stories. He told us some local ceramics shop made the bowl and the bowl part was made from a half of walnut (shell) mold (which it very much looks like), the Tikis are Don salt and peppers but that's all I know about it.

My very best Alohas

Bosko

Pages: 1 10 replies