Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Change in TV Passion Fruit Syrup???

Pages: 1 2 3 125 replies

I didn't see it on a quick scan of the last few pages... guess I'll be more thorough next time. Apologies.

I don't think Torani's a drink killer. My wife almost went to work for them so I happen to know that they use real extracts and cane sugar. It's actually a very well-made product, and seems to do just fine in my cocktails.

shrugs

H

On 2010-04-01 09:32, CucamongaChango wrote:

I don't think Torani's a drink killer. My wife almost went to work for them so I happen to know that they use real extracts and cane sugar. It's actually a very well-made product, and seems to do just fine in my cocktails.

shrugs

If you like the Torani stick with it, but once you start trying the others you'll probably change your mind.

In the realm of the passion fruit, it certainly sounds like Aunt Lilikoi is the way to go. Haven't seen the Monin.
As far as the Orgeat goes, though, I'll definitely stick with Torani if I'm not making my own. Fees has corn syrup (blarf), and as far as I can find around here, the Monin only comes in "Almond". If they do make an actual Orgeat, I can't seem to find it.

I use the Monin (probably got before Ran's 6/09 post - not bad for off-the-shelf & much better than Torani. I prefer the Finest Call puree, however the disadvantage to that is you have to use it all in a couple of weeks after opening since it requires refrigeration.

I just ordered some Aunty Lilikoi - maybe new to the site, but they now have secure ordering (https url)

As far as Orgeat, I would recommend Fee Bros - since you can order that online and get Falernum at the same time; or, order it from TV and get some real grenadine, too.

I also easily ordered St Elizabeth allspice dram from http://www.drunkupny.com

tfj

[ Edited by: toofastjim 2010-04-25 10:50 ]

So, how does the Monin almond compare to an orgeat? I had the same question, as I have been making Mai Tais with their almond after running out of another brand orgeat.

GK

C

For those of you who are using it, what is the shelf life of Aunty Lilikoi (either the PF syrup or the juice) once it's opened?

S
Swanky posted on Fri, May 7, 2010 9:18 AM

On 2010-05-06 17:05, congawa wrote:
For those of you who are using it, what is the shelf life of Aunty Lilikoi (either the PF syrup or the juice) once it's opened?

Refridgerate after opening. Can't say for sure. The bottles are pretty small. I have no worries. Things keep far longer than most people think. I am about to the bottom of my second bottle and have not noticed any problem.

D

On 2010-05-06 17:05, congawa wrote:

i called them and asked, shelf life unopened is indefinetly - opened 1-2 years if kept refrigerated

i have similar prickly pear cactus syrup and that has kept just fine for 6+ months -- that makes a good margarita (bobby flay recipe but use half the syrup he asks for or it is too sweet)

C

Thanks. Do you think the juice would have a shorter refrigerated shelf life than the syrup, and are you getting your passion fruit juice from them as well or just the syrup (or is Ceres just as good for just the juice not syrup?).

I've had a bottle of Finest Call Passion Fruit Puree in the fridge for about a year or more, which seems to still be good (though I see on Finest Call's website they say good for 12 months refrigerated). It may be time to toss it just to be safe though.

Also, I notice in Remixed's glossary, BB Berry actually has two distinct separate entries for passion fruit syrup and passion fruit puree, which I take to mean they're not interchangeable; whereas in Sippin Safari I think he mentioned the Finest Call Puree as a substitute for the syrup (though I don't have the book handy and may have seen that elsewhere).

I met Auntie last summer on my trip to Kauai. Very nice lady. I kept telling her that she has a devoted following on Tiki Central and she told me that been on here once or twice. I actually don't think she set out to make a cocktail syrup. It just ended up being used that way. It was probably intended for pancakes. By the way, her Wasabi Passion Fruit Mustard is delicious.

I found a passion fruit concentrate at a local Asian market. It was called simply "Passion Juice". The flavor is fabulous -- real passionfruit concentrate mixed with sugar. It's very strong (the directions say to dilute 1:6 with water to make a juice drink). I may cut it with a little regular simple syrup next time because it is so intensely concentrated.
edited to add: I should mention that I paid $5.99 for a 28 oz bottle. It made a hell of a drink once I cut it with a some regular simple syrup. 1:1 passion juice concentrate to simple syrup. I tried it in a Hurricane (2 parts dark rum, 1 part lemon juice, 1 part passion fruit syrup). It made a fantastic drink!

[ Edited by: Chinarose 2010-05-15 14:27 ]

[ Edited by: Chinarose 2010-05-28 08:15 ]

Just in case anyone was wondering if this is a quality product or not, I thought I'd post the information from the back of the bottle to put your minds at ease (the typos, strange punctuation, grammatical errors and misspellings are not mine):

"PASSION JUICE

The sap is condensed from fresh and pure passion fruit. As passion fruit is rich in fragrance which is the best beverage refined from pure sugar and guaranteed no artificial pigment.

Drinking method is as follows : please pour six times of ice water or hot boiled water and it's flavor is excellent.

The juice is pure. Any sign of separation does not affect the quality.just shake and drink.

Ingredients:Pure passion juice.suger.

HONORABLY PRODUCED BY YUN CHEN CO., LTD."

Sweet Pele forgive me. I was dyin' for a Chief Lapu Lapu tonight, and I didn't have any Final Call passionfruit syrup left, so I broke out one of the bottles of Vic's that I've been sitting on for the past 18 months, refusing to use. Boy, do I regret it. The swill tastes like cough syrup. I totally wasted an ounce of 12-year Appleton, and 1 1/2-ounces of Barrelito making a totally undrinkable concoction that I wouldn't pour out on the weeds in my yard. I'll be doing penance tomorrow by making a pilgrimage to our local Supermercado and buying a couple of packages of frozen passionfruit pulp, then cooking up a batch of homemade syrup.

Blech!

D

aunties makes a mean puka punch, must tone down the syrup .25

Yes, I'm pitching. I can't help but be excited to put a good product out.

Anyhow, I've got a Passion Fruit Syrup coming out that'll knock your socks off. It's available online now!

I am putting this product out because I WANT good Passion Fruit Syrup on the market. No more trips to asian grocery stores, or taking this one product someone makes and reducing/modifying it. This is real-deal good stuff too. 4 ingredients: Sugar, water, Passion Fruit Concentrate (passion fruit juice boiled down... REALLY tarts it up!) and Guar Gum to hold the particulate in suspension, as the concentrate also contains a bit of pulp.

Anyhow, just thought I'd throw that out there on this thread. If you've got any local stores you'd like to see carrying it, send them my way.

-B

--edited to update URL for Passion Fruit Syrup

TraderTiki.com
Exotic Syrups for Tropical Mixology!

[ Edited by: Trader Tiki 2010-05-26 16:04 ]

D

i have aunt liloki's syrup but it keeps overpowering my drinks

does anyone know approximatly how much i should cut the recipe by using her syrup

still makes a good drink a but a bit to sweet and too passion-y (if that is even a real word)

On 2010-05-28 07:26, Dapuma1 wrote:

does anyone know approximatly how much i should cut the recipe by using her syrup

still makes a good drink a but a bit to sweet and too passion-y (if that is even a real word)

Though it is the best storebought I've found, Aunty's is on the sweet side. There are two approaches to take when making drinks:

1. If the recipe calls for RCS or simple syrup, you can pretty much just leave that out.
  2. Modify the Aunty PF syrup.

If you reduce the amounts or leave out other syrups, the flavor is bound to change. If you leave out the Curaçao, for example, you'll have to replace it with something that retains the intense orange peel flavor with something else (such as orange zest). If you leave out the orgeat, well, you're rather screwed, because you'll have to replace it with the subtle flavors of almond, rose water, and orange blossom water. Leaving out RCS or simple syrup is the only one that does not require flavor enhancements as long as your RCS is not made to impart sugar flavors (mine has a turbinado flavor).

Possibly the easiest way to do the second approach is to order a bottle of Aunty PF juice when you get the PF syrup. Then you can add juice to the syrup until it reaches the right sweetness. As for the passiony effect, it should get even stronger, but in the absence of excessive sweetness, you might find its passiony nature to be just right.

D

I guess my question is more along the lines of...am i getting too much sweetness (which i am certainly) but also am i getting two much passion fruit flavor...i dont have anything to compare it to, so it is hard to try to "balance" the flavor when i dont have a benchmark

i was thinking about reducing the amount by 1/4 to 1/2 -- but it is hard to say where that line is...

On 2010-05-28 09:41, The Gnomon wrote:

On 2010-05-28 07:26, Dapuma1 wrote:

Though it is the best storebought I've found, Aunty's is on the sweet side. There are two approaches to take when making drinks:

1. If the recipe calls for RCS or simple syrup, you can pretty much just leave that out.
  2. Modify the Aunty PF syrup.

If you reduce the amounts or leave out other syrups, the flavor is bound to change. If you leave out the Curaçao, for example, you'll have to replace it with something that retains the intense orange peel flavor with something else (such as orange zest). If you leave out the orgeat, well, you're rather screwed, because you'll have to replace it with the subtle flavors of almond, rose water, and orange blossom water. Leaving out RCS or simple syrup is the only one that does not require flavor enhancements as long as your RCS is not made to impart sugar flavors (mine has a turbinado flavor).

Possibly the easiest way to do the second approach is to order a bottle of Aunty PF juice when you get the PF syrup. Then you can add juice to the syrup until it reaches the right sweetness. As for the passiony effect, it should get even stronger, but in the absence of excessive sweetness, you might find its passiony nature to be just right.

You got to refrigerate any of the TV's Passionfruit bottles that still contain the juice. Only way to keep it fresh.

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Jun 2, 2010 8:57 AM

I just cut the PFS by about a quarter when using Aunty's stuff. Compared to TV, I think that gets it about right. Compared to the others... I don't know. All I have is Torani and it just sucks. Way too sweet and wrong.

R

Trader, wow, finally a passion syrup by someone that knows what we need! I'm in the Chicago area, and for some reason NOBODY carries passion fruit pulp. Nobody. There's obviously a sizable Hispanic population in Chicago, but I'm lucky to find Goya PF juice in Latin markets around here, only in one that I know of and it's not close. So I've been boiling that down and making the best syrup I can possibly get, but it's obviously not as good as with pulp.

Question-what's the shelf life or refrigerated life of your bottle of syrup? While I'd love to, and probably could if I tried, go through that bottle in two weeks, I'd be closer to tiki-drinking myself to death than I already am.

Thanks!

On 2010-06-24 13:36, rt_tiki wrote:
Trader, wow, finally a passion syrup by someone that knows what we need!

Question-what's the shelf life or refrigerated life of your bottle of syrup?

Hi rt_tiki,

my syrup actually does contain a limited amount of pulp, but it's a light pulp and enough for texture, not flossing your teeth. Shelf life is 6 months unopened, refrigerated and open, a good month or so. No preservatives are artificial ingredients. Heck, the only things in there are sugar, water, passion fruit concentrate (passion fruit juice boiled down) and a bit of guar gum to keep it from separating.

Some folks have taken to adding a wee bit of high proof rum to it to improve opened shelf-life. But you have to be wary when serving as non-alcoholic then.

Anyhow, the passion fruit is available, and is damned delicious if I do say so myself. I put it out there because I couldn't find good stuff myself, and figured someone has to, so why not me? It's not available in Chicago except for online (available here), but if you wanted to stop by Drinks over Dearborn and poke Kyle in the ribs, I'm sure he'd carry them.

-Blair

Having started this post, I am pleased to see the continued interest. I too found the Aunty's sweeter than the original TV and of course infinitely more acceptable than the revised TV junk. I have also adjusted my recipes to compensate for the increased sweetness. I have found their is no exact 'adjustment'. Rather, I insist on multiple tests (in other words, drinks) to determine what I like and what I think my guests will like. I know that each of my guests likes a different tartness, level of alcohol, etc. My 'experiments' have shown that some recipes are too sweet, some recipes are so tart that you cannot add enough Aunty's and others are just right...........

Anyway, I believe the fun is finding what works for you and the receipients of your handiwork.

A

Just ordered some Aunty's PF juice. The syrup sounded too sweet. Will let you know how it works out.

Made my second trip to see the Auntie in August. My sister thought I was crazy to buy 4 bottles, but I only get to Kauai once a year. I did make a great discovery this trip: In Hawaii the flat rate box is called the Aloha Box. For $15.00 you can ship just about anything you can stuff into this 12 x 12x 5.5 box. That a lot of Passionfruit Syrup and Juice from Auntie Lilikoi. And try the mustard. It has won awards.

[ Edited by: SuperEight 2010-10-03 22:56 ]

Aloha,

Sometimes I like to bump a thread up for no rhyme or reason. This is one of them.

Tweaked the passionfruit recipe that I posted a while back and could not find again.
1 1/2 C cane sugar
1 1/2 C bottled water,
Bring to boil,simmer til clear, allow to cool. Yup , it’s simple syrup.
Thaw a packet of Goya PF pulp (14 ounces)
Pour all of the pulp and a couple of drops of pure vanilla extract into a suitable bottle (I used an empty 75 ml Monin PF Syrup bottle)
Add the simple syrup to the pulp. I had about an ounce of syrup too much which I just added to a jar of “Honey Mix” that was in my bar fridge. Shake the heck out of it and put it in the fridge. Might have to shake it some more before using, we’ll see.
I did not cook the pulp with the syrup as I did the first time I made PF syrup. This batch is delicious! Flavor is intense-may have to adjust the amount used in my drinks.
I too am curious as to “shelf life-The first batch I ever made kept in my very cold fridge for months.
Btw, I purchased the Goya brand pulp at my local Von’s.
I have a PF vine Growing in my garden. Hopefully it’ll produce enough fruit so that I can share with the peeps at Don’s ITMP.
Recipe is really easy peas y.
Cheers

W

Hey neighbor,
I'm just down the street from you, in Fullerton. Where did you find the passionfruit vine? A local nursery? I am about to make some planting decisions and would like to start growing my own (passion fruit that is!)

On 2015-03-19 11:06, wupput wrote:
Hey neighbor,
I'm just down the street from you, in Fullerton. Where did you find the passionfruit vine? A local nursery? I am about to make some planting decisions and would like to start growing my own (passion fruit that is!)

Hey Wup, I bought mine at Roger’s Garden -Newport Beach, It was 13 bucks. Most places sell em for about 7-8 $ for a 1 gallon container.
I was looking for a gorgeous red flowered ornamental variety and the salesperson talked me into one called Passaflora Edulis “Frederick” Supposed to bear lotsa fruit. Got my fingers crossed! Saw a bunch of different varieties at Lakewood Nursery (actually in Cypess, Hawaiian Gardens) and my favorite place to shop for plants. Selection and price can’t be beat!
Passiflora’s are aggressive and need plenny room along with support-trellis/chain link fence,etc.
Good luck!
Btw, Blue Hills on the blvd in La Habra has quality plants ( and excellent free advice) at a little higher price then the big box stores but nowhere near what Rogers charges.
I have never seen Passionfruit plants at any big box store.

W

Blue Hills - great idea. I bought a guava and mango for my garden a while back when i lived in La Habra. Unfortunately both died but that was the climate/soil/me, not the nursery! I'll stop by there tomorrow. It hadn't even occurred to me that there would be different passion fruit varietals... I'll have to do some research too. These vendors at the Buena Park farmers market on Saturdays have incredibly delicious passion fruits so I might ask them if they know what varietal they are. Thanks for the other tips on Lakewood and Rogers.

We bought a place in Fullerton in August and we currently have 2 tangerines, 1 lemon, and 1 orange tree. The plan right now is to put in an avocado, loquat (my daughter loves em), ORO BLANCO GRAPEFRUIT, and passion fruit. If all goes well I'll be offering to barter with all SoCal folks in a few years! How many fresh white grapefruits is a bottle of Havana Rum worth I wonder?

Pages: 1 2 3 125 replies