Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Saw these in Downtown Philly. Are they real?

Pages: 1 2 69 replies

I think Charlie wanted $1500 for that one.

there is also a pair of salt and pepper shakers in black and white that are the same as that large tiki with the hat on....are those ren clark shakers too??

S

On 2007-07-15 09:33, rugbymatt wrote:
It does have a Daga look to it. The biggest mystery is what it was? The top is carved out like a bowl. Was it an ashtray? a stand for some larger object? a drum missing its skin? I am trying to get the original auction receipts from them to see if they shed any light on things.

It's an ashtray. There are dozens of carvings like that at the Mai Kai. Drums, tikis, etc, that they put sand or gravel in as ashtrays.

O

Hey Matt.. I found your "ashtray"

Look down this page till you find the second postard from "Langerman's Luau"

http://www.arkivatropika.com/cgi-bin/tags.cgi?tags=%22bar%20photo%22

top left corner.

Aaaah! What an amazing place mat indeed! That door in the first photo is wild, could be from today...

Ootwoods, I thought only me and some hardcore cases here on TC would peruse old postcards with a looking glass for details! I fear there is no return for you now, my friend, it's the fever.

O

On 2007-07-16 17:03, bigbrotiki wrote:
Aaaah! What an amazing place mat indeed! That door in the first photo is wild, could be from today...

Ootwoods, I thought only me and some hardcore cases here on TC would peruse old postcards with a looking glass for details! I fear there is no return for you now, my friend, it's the fever.

Then let me suffer!

I just happened upon it. looking for photos of the place in Montreal, of all things.. and remembered reading the thread.

I'm relatively close to Philly (and could hit RugbyMatt's with a well thrown stone, probably) so I figured I'd point it out to him.

T

Good for you Matt!
It's great to find a picture of these items where they may have sat.
The one you have could be the very one in that photo.
Was charlie a little more easy to work with than the woman?
How many are left?
Good catch Ootwoods!

Good eye Ootwoods, mahalo for the link.

Tipsy, I saw the Ren Clark S&P's too but after dropping serious caish on the real tikis I just can see payng $120+ for the little guys.

Close relative on postcard from Tonga Lei - Malibu, CA.

Aaaah, very good! Here he is in the '80s Oceanic Arts catalog:

Wow, Big Bro Tiki i'd love to have a look through the 80's OA catalog.
Great stuff!

T

My wife saw those Tikis at that store in Philly two months ago. I had been wanting to get over there to check them out but just have not had the time. Plus I don't need to be tempted to spend the $$$ on them now. Very cool stuff though. Scott

Did you see on ebay that the Ren Clark salt & pepper set that were modeled after the Guaranko tiki I bought for $1500 sold for almost $600. Crazy man, crazy.

T

Wow! I guess Charlie was not easier to work with.

Not sure I follow you on that one? The price of the S&P shakers is the crazy bit and that was from ebay not Charlie. Charlie Neri has actually been pretty helpful in giving what info he had on the tiki's I bought. He said the ones with the Hirch Auction tags came from Pub Tiki which ID'd the matched set of 4' Marquesans. The photos of Langerman's from TCer's has pegged the ashtray and the small Samoa tiki. All in all not bad, I sure wish I could come up with another $2500- $3000 to try and get that bad ass Maori tiki.

On the salt and peppers well that's just crazy.
As far as the $1500.00 it's not real high.
But it's not a steal either.
You got some great stuff.

M

On the salt and peppers well that's just crazy.

Crazy, crazy like a hyena! Not only does one get two, that's t-w-o, shakers, they're from Ben Clark's. Ben's, the bastard son of ole Ren, who started his own Polynesian Village in direct and fully contemptuous competition with his sly, but all together neglectful father. He didn't last long, but what he lacked in business acumen the young Ben made for with sheer unadulterated malice.

The rarity of those shakers cannot be measured by man, nope. They need specially trained dolphins to do the math, by sonar. I'd dare say $550 or so is a steal, a downright Tijuana back alley hold-up of biblical proportions. Old testament, too.

They're not just shakers, they're...ok, they're just shakers. I guess I was having another hypoglycemic spasm there, my mind ain't the same since this whole Menudo concert/Harry Potter thing. Ok, and two people bid over $500 for them, and that's American, not that tepid Canadian currency, right?

Jesus weeps,
midnite

Can I get an Amen?

But seriously,

If I can get him down to $1500 for the reddish Bumatay what do you think?

T

My dad always said something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
If that the one you like I say go for it.
I like the third one at the start of this thread.
But we know he has had these a long time.
And the poles are $1500.00, and there 8 feet.
I would use that to bring the price of the Bumatay down.

Good point. He also had a shorter tiki in back I didn't see but he later e-mailed me about and was asking 350. I may try and get him to give me that and the other one for $1200. "Don't want to hagle?"

T

Give him your phone number and tell him if he ever lowers his price to call you.
Should he say no.

Pages: 1 2 69 replies