Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Mug Shout Out!!

Pages: 1 20 replies

B

Hello I want to introduce myself. This is Baby Doe you might know me from Tiki News, The Devil-Ettes, Tease-O-Rama, or as the VERY pregnant chick on the cocktail segment of The Food Network show Unwrapped.

With a little tiki of my own it is impossible for me to have time to e-mail much so that is why I have not joined Tiki Central before. In fact, I won't have much time to join in on the discussions here either - but I will read when I can!

Anyhoo I am putting a shout out here towards folks in the Bay Area.

Otto and I are working on a Tiki Related Project and we need a few participants. This will be a brainstorm for a book that we will release later this year.

The date for this is Wednesday Feb. 26th from 8pm - 10pm
(location t.b.d. - we need someone to host this as our home is too small!)

If you are available and this interest you please e-mail me with the response to these questions:
[email protected]
(Oh yeah, we can only pick 8 people so we want a good variety!)

1. Would you say you are a:
  • Advance Tiki Mug Collector (over 100)
  • Medium Tiki Mug Collector (50+)
  • Just starting out /or have less then 50 mugs
  • Totally into this but do not have the $$ to be a collector of Tiki Mugs
  • Collect other things then Tiki Mugs
  • other
  1. Do you buy coffee table books (such as The Book of Tiki, Pad)
  • Often (I want to own almost all coffee table books in existence)
  • On occasion (if it is a subject that I like)
  • rarely (I like to look at them in the store but never purchase them!)
  • Give them or get them as gifts only
  • other
  1. What is your age?

2. What is your occupation?

3. Where do you live?

4. Are you mainly into the Tiki 'scene' or do you consider yourself more into other 'scenes'?
    i.e. you are into rockabilly, mod, ceramic collector, just a big gorilla x fan.....

5. What is your knowledge of Tiki Mugs?

• advance (bring it on baby I can talk Tiki like the Big Boys)
  • moderate (been collecting for awhile, know some of the different manufactures and styles)
  • low (I just like the pretty colors...)
  • other
  1. Why are you into Tiki stuff?
    (Okay I know that is such a broad question but we want to know if you like Tiki stuff because you like to wear hawaiian shirts and eat pu pu platters, because you like the music, like to collect all things related and so forth.... just to give us a general idea of who you are in relation to Tiki Mugs.

Thanks in advance!
We REALLY appreciate this.

XOXOX Baby Doe

1. What is your age? Fourtysven

2. What is your occupation? Cinematographer, Urban Archeologist

3. Where do you live? Los Angeles, CA

4. Are you mainly into the Tiki 'scene' or do you consider yourself more into other 'scenes'?
    Tiki and vintage modernism

I did not choose Tiki, Tiki chose me: " Write it, and they will come!"
  1. Would you say you are a: Medium Tiki Mug Collector (50+)
  • Collect other things then Tiki Mugs, vintage tiki temple artifacts and some genuine oceanic art 2. Do you buy coffee table books (such as The Book of Tiki, Pad)
  • On occasion (if it is a subject that I like, tiki being it.)
  1. What is your age?
    Antiques and collectibles dealer.
  3. Where do you live?
    In a resort/tourist area in the mountains of northeast Georgia.
    pretty much the collectibles scene but I have a very elaborate tiki bar that takes up half the bottom floor of our house.
  • moderate (been collecting for awhile, know some of the different manufactures and styles)
    Involves the collecting "thrill of the chase", involves a significant amount of drinking, is an enchanting and exotic aesthetic that allows me some degree of escapism and seems to stay "old yet new" all of the time. Dave Wolfe is the name, tiki is the game!
    Thanks in advance!
    We REALLY appreciate this.

XOXOX Baby Doe

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-01-27 21:31 ]

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-01-27 21:32 ]

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-01-27 21:32 ]

So just how big is the bay area these days?

when you say bay area i assume you don't mean us east coasters.......
but just in case....

yes 25 + mugs
yes 2 copies BOT at least + others
arch/interior design
new york city
this is my bag baby,
mug history is ok,
but the tiki thing is a long standing aesthetic decision that has guided my life...

ink

I don't know if I can help, but I am fascinated by pretty colors and shiny objects. That has to count for something. Right?

Is Canada in the Bay area??

T
  • Advanced Tiki Mug Collector (over 100)
  1. What is your age?
    Only my hairdresser knows for sure.
    Early thirties.

Record Producer / journalist / teacher / multimedia artist

3. Where do you live?
    Chicago

I like many different styles and things, but Tiki is certianly a dominant one.

• advanced (bring it on baby I can talk Tiki like the Big Boys)
    Shortest answer is because it combines my love of mid-20th century culture with my love of authenic primitive or tribal art. But it really is more than that, y'know?
T

I'm in the Hudson's Bay area. Doesn that count?

Damned Californians.

Hee hee

• Medium Tiki Mug Collector (50+)
  • Collect other things then Tiki Mugs
    I mostly collect vintage Hawaiian shirts
    My current favorite coffee table books include "The Book Of Tiki" and "Hot Rod" by David Perry
  1. What is your age?

animator

3. Where do you live?
    LA

I guess I'm kind of a scene whore. I love the tiki and go to a ton of rockabilly shows but also go to jazz, punk, surf, reggae, etc, etc. Lately I mostly just hang out in bars and drink until I either embarass myself or offend someone else. I wonder if I can build a scene out of doing this?

Just when I think I know my shit I have a discussion with Sven and feel like an ignoramus.
    I like Hawaiian shirts, I like tikis, I like retro culture I guess, like the music, LOVE GIRLS IN VINTAGE HAWAIIAN DRESSES, oh yeah, with their hair and make up done up all pin up girl style, you know what I'm talking about, uh huh, thats good stuff.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...when you get to the South-west Central Ohio Bay Area, look me up.

Okay... Here goes! Western South Carolina here so I hope the answers from those of us nowhere near California are being, at least, contemplated.

• On occasion (if it is a subject that I like). Been buying a good many Tiki/Tropical Cocktail Recipe books as of late.
  1. What is your age?
  1. What is your occupation?
  • Pre-press Tech at the local Newspaper
  1. Where do you live?
  • a Suburb of Greenville, SC, Cultural Center of the Universe
  1. Are you mainly into the Tiki 'scene' or do you consider yourself more into other 'scenes'?
    i.e. you are into rockabilly, mod, ceramic collector, just a big gorilla x fan.....
  • I'm Hip to all of it, man.
  1. What is your knowledge of Tiki Mugs?
  • moderate (haven't been collecting for long, or even buying any 'Real' old ones, but have been researching a good bit).
  • I guess because of memories from childhood, mostly, and an attraction to things from a simpler and more fun past.

Hope that helps.

I'm sortof not really in the Tampa Bay area

A

Baby Doe wrote:
"Hello I want to introduce myself. This is Baby Doe you might know me from Tiki News, The Devil-Ettes, Tease-O-Rama, or as the VERY pregnant chick on the cocktail segment of The Food Network show Unwrapped."

Of course many of us remember your excellent tiki website. It was one of the best.
Mahalo,
Al

J

How about the Chesapeake Bay area?? I'd be happy to complete the survey but I don't know if I'm worthy...:(

• rarely (I like to look at them in the store but never purchase them!)
  1. What is your age? 39

2. What is your occupation? Tiki Mug Mfr.

3. Where do you live? Dana Point, CA

4. Are you mainly into the Tiki 'scene' or do you consider yourself more into other 'scenes'? Tiki and general Funk

I'm pinned down to the tiki mug indepth quizzing gig nearly every day of my freakin' life!
    My mom was a junk/thrift/antique BOGWAN and I originally got my first tiki mug (Mr. Bali Hai)in the mid-80's... then about 10 years later a Mark Thomas Outrigger... I called them "my little funky bro's" well before I knew what the hell they were - started collecting officially in 1996
MC

Well, I lived in SF a couple years ago, but I couldn't possibly make it for the 26th. :)

1. Combined collection w/ the boyfriend=Medium Tiki Mug Collector (50+)

2. I don't leave books on the coffe table. The Book of Tiki and Pad are reference books or source material for design projects and stay part of the home library. But if I buy oversized art books with large bright photographs=On occasion (if it is a subject that I like)

3. Years of Inky Louise minus one decade plus one day = Manic Cat years

4. Graphic design assistant in a big museum is my front for compulsive web-surfing

5.In the best place to be for me, Lower East Side, NYC

1. No Tiki 'scene' in NYC--just swank places to drink at. Other scenes? I think there's a cliche of Bipolar-Ukrainian-Comic Book Artists? Nope, I 'm one-of-a kind.

2. I read up alot on the web. I'm gonna take a risk - moderate (been collecting for awhile, know some of the different manufactures and styles).

3. ART--aesthetic, designs, patterns, colors, materials, abstraction, representations, mixology, cuisine, music, aloha spirit
    ARTIFACT--history, relics, antiques, sites, pilgrimidges
    ARTIFICE--escapism, aliases, recreation, reinterpretation, reconstruction,
    romanticism

[ Edited by: manic cat on 2003-01-31 09:49 ]

E

aloha, emspace checkin' in, right now overlooking English Bay. Well, I was in SF when I was an innocent teen of 17, so prob can't participate, but might as well take the opportunity to get the details in...

1. What is your age? 43

2. What is your occupation? Captioning for film/video, web designer, musician (in order of amount of money made by each)

3. Where do you live? Vancouver, Canada

There really isn't a Tiki scene here, just sporadic Lounge events (which I differentiate from Tiki). Not really a scene guy anyway.

Gawd, such a complex answer really...I grew up in the early 60s, ate in Polynesian restaurants a lot, listened to Afro-Cuban and bossa nova on my folks' hi-fi, there was bamboo wallpaper, and genuine African sculpture on the walls and in the corners, visited Hawaii first time at age 9, fell in love with all things Hawaiian, wear aloha shirts whenever our damp climate permits, collect CocoJoe and other forms of PolyPop as well as mugs. I guess the mugs give me the strongest feeling for the era. They're like little time capsules, they fire the imagination.

Nuff said! Good luck with your project!
em.

I'm a Tampa Bay fan within a reasonable proximity...

about 100 mugs - its getting hard to find all of them now.

yes, I love books. Book of T, Leeteg of T, Sylvain's T, Night of T., Above Hawaii

public relations
Orlando, FL

tiki scene has become kind of primary, but riding my motorcycle and psychodelic rock'n'roll are other passions. I was a big southwestern indian art fan, until I left it all with my ex-wife. Tiki has filled the primitive cultural void and then some.

I'm into tiki because it connects with my early years living in Hawaii, as well as my present life in Florida, and because it is so multi-dimensional: art, music, furniture, plants, clothes, cooking, architecture, history, alcohol, film, travel - and some of the most interesting and nicest people you can meet.

Also, I like it because I get to nag people about making a donation to the Tiki Gardens Memorial.

[ Edited by: Lance Samason 2007-07-06 15:13 ]

S

Aloha Baby Doe,

Of course we remember you at Tiki Oasis!

• Medium Tiki Mug Collector (50+). Used to have 100+ but traded them for a Tiki Bar!
  • On occasion, but they're starting to take over the house!
  1. What is your age? 41

2. What is your occupation? Educator

3. Where do you live? Huntington Beach

4. Don't know about any Tiki 'scene' but if there is one I'd be into it.

• moderate to advanced. There's always something out there that I haven't seen before.

Spent a lot of time in Hawaii and traveled to Tahiti and the South Pacific; Tiki Bars & Exotic Cocktails; Kooks like me.

Happy to help. Regards to Otto.

See you at Tiki Oasis III.

Pages: 1 20 replies