Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Beach Festival Long Beach August 25, 26

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

We checked it out on Sunday... unfortunately it wasn't that great. Maybe Saturday was better?
(The food there especially SUUUUUCKED.)
Of course it's always great to see Mr and Mrs Tiki Diablo, Crazy Al, and John aka Redondo Tiki (whose path we cross everywhere except Redondo Beach). The performers were good as well.
Hopefully they step it up a notch next year - this is the 2nd year we've gone and it has potential to be a really cool event.

Terra

Nope Saturday was the same. Your right it can be much better. It was excellent in 2006, Tiki tony was there, all the booths were more tiki themed with very cool & amazing Merchandise. The food was wonderful. I spent alot of money that year. Out of the 4 years I have gone only 1 has been worhty of going the other years were just like this year. Thanks Goodness Al is there, or it wouldnt be worth it. I dont see why there were booths there just for adverstisements, if your not tiki or hawaiian you shouldnt be there. Oh well, maybe they will work hard on it for next year. I hope, because I have pretty much given up on it.

On 2008-08-27 08:55, Swangulo Tikis wrote:
We checked it out on Sunday... unfortunately it wasn't that great. Maybe Saturday was better?
(The food there especially SUUUUUCKED.)
Of course it's always great to see Mr and Mrs Tiki Diablo, Crazy Al, and John aka Redondo Tiki (whose path we cross everywhere except Redondo Beach). The performers were good as well.
Hopefully they step it up a notch next year - this is the 2nd year we've gone and it has potential to be a really cool event.

Terra

It was great to see you guys as well. We are new to the scene but not to the love of all things tiki! Looking forward to the Kona event!
Mahalo
Jon
P.S. I should have know the food was going to be bad when their sign said Moco Loco...

I especially dig the Time Share booths.. Direct TV Booth complete with Hummer... and other completely NON tiki related stuff that seems to be so rampant there...

just call it a Long Beach Boardwalk Swap Meet and remove the tiki from the name..

Now I'm not going to say it's was the most "Happening" event...the food really did leave a lot to be desired, but for a couple of hours on a sunny Sunday it was fun to watch the dancers and listen to the bands. Sometimes I think folks can get too caught up in the "Retro / Tiki / Cocktail" things..... I spent 4th of July at the Tahiti Fete of San Jose and didn't see one soul from TC. They had hundreds of dancers, loads of bands and some really great authentic food. There are a lot of events out there that celebrate Polynesian Culture but don't cater to the "Tiki" crowd. Sometimes ya don't have to have an event mug and all to make it fun...( Not that I don't blow a wad of cash on mugs myself...) Good to see The "Tiki Diablo's" there..Hope you guys sold a lot of stuff!

If you call an event a tiki festival there should be tiki's. in 2006 it was amazing, tons of tiki's everywhere, every booth had their own tiki merchandise, every booth was different. Mostly hand made tiki's, wall hangings, tiki galore! This was this and that, kinda odd. I wish someone else would take it over,maybe get a sponsor like Kona, good adversting for them too.

TM

In my opinion, this festival has nothing to do with "tiki" as most of us understand the term. It does, however, have a lot to do with Polynesian culture, so they should think about changing the name to "the Long Beach Polynesian beach festival".

You want to make it "tiki", then you get exotica bands like Tikiyaki Orchestra, Martini Kings, or fun, modern hapa haole bands like King Kukulele's Freaky Tikis or the Mai Kai gents. You might even throw in a rockabilly/Hawaiian band or two (hint hint). Or surf bands. (I am sure BTD could come up with a few suggestions on that subject)

But I totally understand those who seem a bit let down by thinking it was going to be the kind of event we at Tiki Central think of as "tiki".

Not to point out the obvious here but did anyone read the ad for this? This year was a Ho'olaulea or celebration. It was to celebrate the Hawaiian lifestyle, music and dance. It was not a Tiki event. Just my 2 cents.

O

How many generations in these photos?
This is the spirit. They remember what I have forgotten.

Screw the food (Although Sabu Chicken would be cool next year)
If not, I'll pack a lunch.

Alfredo'a, thanks for sponsoring the event. But you really need to step up the food!
Guess I could buy some snacks?

Yea I agree in the begining I use to do very well but it seemed every year to be less id always sell my bars a few flamed fish . it was always can you delivere and do you take checks the money was great . but now its all Changed ,the last two years I havent even gone . then to boot the city comes by to get there 80.00 dollars . by the time your all done your in about 500.00 bucks 200.00 for the spot 80.00 city , gas, food, drinks, time travel . then hope you sell man how times have changed .

Pages: 1 2 57 replies