Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Forbidden Island Announces First Ever Tropical Appetizer Cookoff Sunday August 12th @ 3:00pm!

Pages: 1 39 replies

M

Aloha!

We’re pleased to announce the first ever Forbidden Island Tropical Appetizer Cookoff! Bring your finest exotic tidbits to Forbidden Island on Sunday August 12th and prepare to dazzle the judges with your culinary delights. We’ll have great prizes, drink specials, and it’s all a fundraiser for Alameda Meals on Wheels! Here’s how it works:

To enter your appetizer in the competition:

There are no rules to the appetizers, other than they must be “tropically” themed. You may choose to do something contemporary, or “retro”. Each person should prepare 45 individual (bite-size) pieces, and bring napkins or small plates if needed. There is no preparation space at FI, or power, but you are welcome to bring a chafing dish or portable hotplate/propane burner if needed. You should also bring a card table for your display. A good display and presentation will impress the judges! Each judge will have a sheet with your name and the name of the appetizer on it for scoring. Top three winners will be awarded fabulous prizes! There are no subcategories so feel free to use any ingredients including meats and seafood, although vegetarian entries are encouraged.

TO ENTER THE COMPETITION: Send your name, contact information, and recipe (name and ingredients, exact recipe not required) to (email disabled) Please send all questions to that address as well.

TO JUDGE (only judges will be tasting):

Tickets ($15) for judging will be on sale at the door at 3pm. Tickets will be limited so we suggest that you arrive early. You’ll get a wristband and a score sheet which will entitle you to one of each of the appetizers. Proceeds from the ticket sales will go to Alameda Meals on Wheels.

Grand Prize: A Cruzan Beach Cruiser Bicycle, compliments of Cruzan Rum!!!

Tasty fun in the sun for a good cause! Plus booze. Win Win!

[ Edited by: martiki 2007-08-16 07:45 ]

M

DEADLINE TO ENTER YOUR APPETIZER IS AUGUST 7TH!

[ Edited by: martiki 2007-07-24 10:10 ]

On 2007-07-16 19:13, martiki wrote:
DEADLINE TO ENTER YOU APPETIZER IS AUGUST 7TH!

Crap!

Missing the fun again!

Mrs. Boo and I will be there on the 5th.

We never get to have fun, cept for this short time.

J

On 2007-07-16 23:14, RevBambooBen wrote:
Mrs. Boo and I will be there on the 5th.

How thoughtful of you to come up for my birthday! :wink: It'll be cool to see ya Ben!

M

BUMP!

Looking for more contestants!

T

Yours truly will be submitting an entry. Not sure what it is yet, but it will win!

M

*thejab wrote:
Not sure what it is yet, but it will win!

Dean stole my idea. Back to the ironing board for me.

Hmmm, fifteen Chicken Tenders, half a dozen orders of Sweet Potato Fries, one tub of Thousand Island Dressing, some grated coconut. Third Place, easy!

I'd like to thank the judges,
Chef Boy-R-midnite-E....Bam!

Can I get someone else to enter my dish?

IN and my dish will win. :wink: bahhhwwahhahhhh

[ Edited by: aquaorama 2007-07-25 19:26 ]

M

Great to see the interest! Don't forget to submit your info to the website in the first message!

Bump! August 7th (the deadline to enter your appetizer) is THIS TUESDAY!!

P

I have 2 appetizers but I don't have the time.

The cabana / slave boys want to be judges and not enter mine appetizers.

Maybe I can get my sister to enter.....

M

LAST CHANCE TO ENTER!

Anyone else?

A

My team continues to work on our recipe to perfect it....I so want the Beach Cruiser bike!.....

M

My friend is entering the contest and apparentlty like the rest of you, she's going to win because she really wants that beach cruiser.

I plan on being a judge...so bring it on! Good luck everyone!!

P

anybody willing to take a small side wager ?? on who's going to win??

HAHAH

BB

On 2007-08-09 14:05, princessP wrote:

HAHAH

Okay Princess P I'll put $10.00 on Coco Loco to win!

i Love Coco Loco! :)

On 2007-08-09 14:09, Bora Boris wrote:

On 2007-08-09 14:05, princessP wrote:

HAHAH

Okay Princess P I'll put $10.00 on Coco Loco to win!

I was thinking more in the lines of side wagers among the contenstants entered.

You tiki central folks can have a pool.

but I think coco loco will win.

i think she will win also, i just want to place.
I have zero ideal what she is making. haha

[ Edited by: princessp 2007-08-10 16:46 ]

M

The recipes are all looking outstanding- be ready for some fierce combat!

M

If you plan on judging and want a ticket, get there early as there is a hell of a lot of interest

See you all tomorrow!

MT

On 2007-08-09 14:46, little lost tiki wrote:
i Love Coco Loco! :)

Wait until you see (or hear of) the appetizer that she made! Then you'll really feel the love! I am a lucky guy.

Can't any of you Nerds up there set up a Forbidden Island webcast?

sorry no web cam ,but I can tell you..

as of 3 pm there where 5 or 6 people outside waiting to get in.

I am getting this via cell phone.

I am on my way there in a few minutes.

I let my sister do the part i don't like to do present , but I made a tasty little bite.

It has gone to a good cause..

M

Get down here now everyone!

The food is DELICIOUS and there are still tickets available!

N
NOTCH posted on Sun, Aug 12, 2007 3:36 PM

I'm watin for my girlfriend to get off work at 4:30..
hope there's left overs..

M

Yesterday was fun, lots of yummy nibbles (well done everyone). Congrats to all the winners.

Yeah !! Yesterday was a lot of fun. All the food was very yummy.

I would love some of the recipes.

Congrates to the winners!!

B

Who ended up as King or Queen of the cook-off and what was the winning nosh ?

M

Thanks to everyone who participated in the cookoff!!!

We had a terrific array of tasty tidbits and all for a good cause: We raised over $500 for Alameda Meals on Wheels!

Thanks so much to the entrants who wowed us with their culinary delights, as well as donating their time and chow. And thanks to the judges who had the tough task of tasting it all!

Anyway, it was good fun and the food was delicious. The winner was FI regulars Karl & Tamara with their Spicy Pulled Pork Stacks, served on plantain chips.

The recipe and pictures will follow shortly!

Mahalo all!

-martin

CL

Thanks Martin, Mai Tai and I had a great time. I think the most fun was trying everyone else's appetizer at the end of the day. And spending several hours having cocktails together after the event. Much congratulations to 2nd and 3rd place winners too: Coconut Tofu (Aquararama team) and Famous Devil Eggs (sorry,can't remember TC name) respectively.

T&K's shredded pork and plantains were tasty! And the vegetarian version sounded tasty too. Look forward to the recipe. It's great that we raised money for a great cause. Much Maholos.

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2007-08-13 21:55 ]

We had such an awesome time. It felt good to have a little compitition and help out a good cause. I got to meet the cool couple on one side of me with the cuban bread....Gotta love the domino design....on my other side were the Mai Tai wings....OMG....I could dip ANYTHING in that sauce.....Coco Loco was serving up yummy short ribs while modeling that awesome Disneyland dress! I so know people were snapping pics.....come on...I gotta see some!

[ Edited by: aquaorama 2007-08-15 11:03 ]

Here's some pics:

The winners...FI regulars Karl and Tamara

The winning appetizer - Spicy Pulled Pork Stacks, served on plantain chips.

The Jab was there too, sporting his Betty Crocker "I'm Chef" hat and some delicious Chicken Wings

Denise and Mai Tai pose with Coco Loco, who made scrumptious ribs wrapped in bacon
Note the wonderful "fruit Fugus"

All in all, a great time was had by all. Thanks for taking the time to enter and/ or Judge.
We're really happy to have raised over $500 for such a great cause.

J

Some of my poorly framed snaps.

The Silver Medalists.

That sauce was mighty tasty. I'm still waiting for the recipe.

Our meager entry.

A display for winning the Bronze.

Mmmm ribs.

Mmmm fruit fugu.

The rest are here. I'm figuring out this new camera, apologies in advance:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9833445@N08/sets/72157600705994497/

Anybody get a pic of me at our table? It didn't dawn on me to take one.
Had a great day all around. Thanks for puttin' this on. We were proud to rep the South Bay with all y'all.
We'll be back next year with more than four day notice so look out!

[ Edited by: JDobbs 2007-08-14 18:59 ]

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.