Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

My tiki / 1950's house pics

Pages: 1 39 replies

Aloha all. Some shots of the indoor tiki lounge and house.
First, the lounge.

The den

living room

And me and my oldest son in the front tiki garden

Enjoy,
Tiki Bill.

YOWZA!!! The place looks GREAT!
Pea

WOW! I'm coming over from Texas for a visit and to play your pinball game!
(what game is that anyways.. kinda hard to see on my screen here at work)

The pinball is a 1959 Williams called "Hot Line". It had a nautical theme and the age was right so, it found a new home. Whatcha think of the glass inlayed into the tile on the counter top? Oops, I forgot the "mug colection"!

Tiki Bill.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bill 2007-07-17 11:02 ]

Wow Tiki Bill,

All that and some robots? Gotta a few of them as well! Way to cool for words...your place is rockin on fire!

My house was built in 1953. What year was yours built? How about square footage, do you have enough room?

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-07-17 11:17 ]

Atomic Ranch magazine should be calling you any moment.

Very nice job with everything.

..sb

The house looks incredible Tiki Bill. Thanks for posting the pictures. I noticed you are new to Tiki Central.

How long have you been into Tiki?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I got into tiki when I was about 7 years old and went to Walt Disney World back in '74 and saw the "Enchanted Tiki Room". But I realy got into it big time about 10 years ago. I was turned on to Tiki Central at the 2007 Hukilau, by the lovely Alice B. (who sang with Mr. Drasnin). This is the greatist place to chat with other tiki heads. Check out http://www.myspace.com/tikibill to hear some of my exotica music (The Tiki Bill Orchestra). I carve too. http://www.tikibill.com has some pics of my tikis. Glad to meet others who enjoy the lifestyle. This site ROCKS!

Tiki Bill.

A

Hey Bill,
I've got a shelf like yours. Could you post a bigger pic, please.
Mahalo,
Al

More Here

K

AWESOME looking pad ya got there! My wife and I have mixed in my tiki stuff with her 50's atomic furniture and art too. You've definitely hit the nail on the head bringing both together. Saaaaweeeet.

Here is a better shot of the pinball machine and the "robot" colection.

Tiki Bill.

Geez! I've rarely seen newcomers to Tiki Central come so fully loaded like that. You have a spectacular home! Welcome to TC and please hang around. I'm sure you have loads to contribute.

Tiki Bill,

Put a couple shots of my robots up for you here...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24875&forum=1&5

Maybe more later, after I am done going through the tiki stuff I have packed away!

PTD

"I like your style, Dude."

Tiki Bill-

Nice place! Does your Philco work?? Sweet Nauga too!
Welcome!

Sputnikmoss

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 17, 2007 12:57 PM

Bitchin' pad. GROG like.

Bill that bar top is awesome!

I have a few of those toy robots as well... I used to have a train like that one aswell, but mine was silver. I wonder whatever happened to it.

If anyone wants a pin ball game like his: http://www.pinrescue.com/games/hotline.html

You have impeccably good bad taste. Very inspiring!

Been holding out on us, huh? :wink:

Sweet place brother....love the layout!

You atomic tiki mid-century people are freaks and in serious need of professional help. Pack up all of that stuff & send it to me. In return, I'll set you up with my new 12 step program to kick that terrible habit!

VERY cool pad Tiki Bill!

Sweet sweet pad Tiki Bill. Isn't it wonderful when the tikis and the robots can get along. Back in the day Mr cheeky half's robots used to have to fight it out for space in the display hutch with my tikis. The tikis finally figured out that they needed to ply the robots with tropical libations and now they all live together harmoniously.

cheeky half

Fantastic!

S

Cool people with cool digs keep gettin closer and closer to me. Where did you get your material and how long have you had it all put together?

"WOW"....gheez, that word just isn't good enough for you. :D You were lost and now your found in the house of tiki. Dayum fine mix of Atomic and Tiki and welcome to the board. Thanks for posting the pictures...I love gawking at other people's decor...it is inspiring. :)

K

!WOW!

Hey, your place is awesome and I'm sure many people here are jealous of your digs.

Suggestions? Maybe a few vintage looking OA-ish or Witco-ish large wooden tikis/masks to complement your vintage decor, as I don't see any large retro tikis right now. Thanks for posting the pics!

On 2007-07-17 12:32, GatorRob wrote:
Geez! I've rarely seen newcomers to Tiki Central come so fully loaded like that. You have a spectacular home! Welcome to TC and please hang around. I'm sure you have loads to contribute.

...And FINALLY..A guy who gets the importance of the right ceiling right off the bat!

TB

Someone had to let Bamboo Ben know we don't all have white celings! Don't worry PTD, not bustin on you :wink:. Your's is "ultra white" as I remember.

Tiki Bill.

On 2007-07-20 15:45, Tiki Bill wrote:
Someone had to let Bamboo Ben know we don't all have white celings! Don't worry PTD, not bustin on you :wink:. Your's is "ultra white" as I remember.

Tiki Bill.

No worries Tiki Bill, but I have a question for you. What is the color of the ceiling undeneath the camoflauge? Just plain old white or Ultra White? Hey, wait a minute, what color is the ceiling in your other pictures? The ones without bamboo??

Ha-Ha,

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and my ceilings are Ultra White)!

TB

Alright PTD, you got me, I'm busted! Hahahaha :)!

Tiki Bill.

T

Wow, the folks over at Lotta Living and you guys would have a mean rock throwing fight over this thing with the white ceilings.

I say, if you're doing FULL on TIKI like Bill's room...of course the bamboo and woven mats...if you're doing Mid Century Modern with Tiki as part of it...ultra white is just fine.

Myself, I'm a Mid Century Modern geek, but also a Tiki Geek too...It's hard to decide sometimes which one to do. So I just mix it up. I love rooms like Bill's, where there's so much to look at, and you really get that old school tiki restaurant feel, but then, I'm too lazy to keep all that stuff organized, so I try to go minimalist modern to keep the room looking clean (like a SHAG painting) , this way, when it gets messy, there's not as much stuff to clean around, and the room doesn't look THAT sloopy.

I wish I were more organized and neat.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-07-20 19:16 ]

TB

Hey, Bamboo Ben started it..........:) And it only looks that good when we know people are coming over. Remember I have a two boys, 3 and 6. They can trash the place in about 10 seconds!

Tiki Bill.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bill 2007-07-20 19:23 ]

T

On 2007-07-20 19:21, Tiki Bill wrote:
Hey, Bamboo Ben started it..........:) And it only looks that good when we know people are coming over. Remember I have a two boys, 3 and 6. They can trash the place in about 10 seconds!

Tiki Bill.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bill 2007-07-20 19:23 ]

LOL....

Well...judging by your pics of your studio, you run a tight ship.

So, how hard is it to do the woven mat and split bamboo thing. I did part of a wall in my old house, but you did such a nice job.

I'm leaving next week to paint, furnish and decorate my new Hawaii condo, and would like to do some woven mat and bamboo. I'm limited on time...3 weeks.

How long does it take ?

http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com
http://www.tikiyaki.wordpress.com
http://www.cuefactory.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-07-20 19:46 ]

TB

Believe it or not, I did that celing in about 6 hours. I got the matting from http://www.tikibosko.com and the bamboo from a place called Bamboo supply co. They have a Florida and Cali outlet. They even sell the poles already split.

Hope this helps,
Tiki Bill.

S

Been looking for a shadow box like that for ages.

Nice all the way around!

TikiBill....I do love your ceiling. I have a large 16-foot high ceiling (not white...but rather an off-white) that I think would look good like that. I won't post pictures as I am sure Ben will have a full out seizure if he sees it...the "off-white" walls are bad enough. But I figure I should start at the top and work my way down the walls.

Did you glue the matting on your ceiling prior to placing the split bamboo over the seams? What kind of glue did you use....any staple-gunning?

TB

I glued the matting up with 3M high strength #90 spray glue, then put the split bamboo over the seams. The small pieces are just nailed in, but for the big poles I used drywall anchors. Wouldn't want a 6 inch bamboo pole landing on my head! For a finishing touch I added pieces of natural fibre rope around the joints of the large poles for a faux "lashing". I would have used full poles, but the celing is only 8'. I've been adding to the bar and will have some updated pics to share soon. You can relax now Ben, I'm helping the "great white curse" one celing at a time.
Hope this helps Vampiress,

Tiki Bill.

Thanks Bill....we may just call you "The Great White Hope" and give you a humanitarian reward. Now I just need some scafolding. :lol:

Awesome house Tiki Bill and welcome to TC!

Pages: 1 39 replies