Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Trip to Monterey, East Bay, and S.F. was a blast!! **Photos Added**

Pages: 1 12 replies

Aloha Monterey, East Bay, S.F. TCers- my girlfriend and I are headed your way next month.

Our tentative plans are very similar to WooHoo/Soccer Tiki's recent trip, well, for obvious reasons.

Thurs 8/2 Depart San Bernardino and drive to Solvang (my girlfriend wants to see it). Continue up the coast to Monterey. Depending on the time perhaps do the 17 mile drive. Dinner at Hula’s. Walk around town. Stay somewhere.

Fri 8/3 Monterey Bay Aquarium, wharf area etc. Hopefully a visit to the Munktiki shop (haven’t asked them about this yet). If we didn’t do it yesterday and depending on the time perhaps do the 17 mile drive. Drive to East Bay for dinner at TV Emeryville. Then on to the Kona Club and Forbidden Island. Stay somewhere close.

Sat 8/4 Head to S.F. Do some touristy stuff- Fishermans Wharf, maybe Alcatraz. TV for lunch. Drive to Novato for surprise 40th birthday party for my sister and brother-in-law at 5pm. Hopefully stop by the Tonga Hut for a quick look on our way to San Bruno to stay at my sisters house.

Sun 8/5 Have some family time and a trip back to the city for whatever. Perhaps a beatnik tour of the North Beach area I found online. More tiki spots? Stay with my sister again in San Bruno.

Mon 8/6 Drive home, maybe via Minnie’s, OR stay one more day and drive home Tues.

I would greatly appreciate any and all input. Especially on the following-

Traffic driving from Monterey to the East Bay on a Friday afternoon will be…?

Hotel suggestions close to FI. Not fancy, just no roaches. Under $150? Safe parking for girlfriend’s new car. If there’s roaches and/or her car gets stolen I won’t hold you accountable. :wink: Not to imply the area isn’t safe either, just some rough guidelines, I’ve actually never been there.

Suggestions for getting from our hotel to TV to the Kona Club to FI that doesn’t involve us operating our motor vehicle...cab?

Swanky bay area jazz clubs? Like the one in “Anchorman”. :) I read something about Bix’s? Anything casual we can walk in wearing flip flops for a drink and take in some tunes?

Music stores for old Exotica albums? Or have you guys picked them all clean? :P I have enjoying cruising the Amoeba's up there on past trips...

I am really looking forward to getting back to the bay area and this time seeing these cool tiki places I’ve read about and seen on TC/Critiki, and hopefully meeting some of the regulars…

Mahalo!

-John

[ Edited by: Aloha John 2007-08-08 21:28 ]

J

On 2007-07-18 12:29, Aloha John wrote:

I would greatly appreciate any and all input. Especially on the following-

Traffic driving from Monterey to the East Bay on a Friday afternoon will be…?

Hotel suggestions close to FI. Not fancy, just no roaches. Under $150? Safe parking for girlfriend’s new car. If there’s roaches and/or her car gets stolen I won’t hold you accountable. :wink: Not to imply the area isn’t safe either, just some rough guidelines, I’ve actually never been there.

Suggestions for getting from our hotel to TV to the Kona Club to FI that doesn’t involve us operating our motor vehicle...cab?

Swanky bay area jazz clubs? Like the one in “Anchorman”. :) I read something about Bix’s? Anything casual we can walk in wearing flip flops for a drink and take in some tunes?

The traffic from Monterey to the East Bay on a Friday is not bad in that direction. However, Forbidden Island is extremeley crowded on Fridays, usually with local beer drinkers. You'd be better off saving FI for Sunday afternoon (they open at 3:00 on Sundays). Plus Bamboo Ben says he's gonna be there on Sunday. And a few of us will be there celebrating my birthday as well! You'll get better service, a better view of the room, and a better feel for the vibe, on a Sunday.

Another good reason to see Alameda on that Sunday, instead of Friday, is the Alameda Point Antiques & Collectibles Faire that takes place on the old Naval base the first Sunday of every month. I've only been once and got there late, but still found a few mugs and other cool stuff. Others who've arrived earlier have had great luck with their finds.

The best places to stay near Forbidden Island are the Days Inn on Webster Street in Alameda, and the Marina Village Inn. Both clean and safe. The Days Inn is cheaper.

Transportation between the east bay tiki spots is not easy without a car. Cabs will get expensive between the locations. You would also need to transfer between more than a couple buses between each location. Your best options are to take the car and modify your alcohol intake, or spend a lot of money on taxis.

As for Jazz clubs, I'm not sure what you're looking for. You mention "swanky" but then say you want to walk in wearing flip flops. Your definition of swanky is probably not the same as mine if flip flops are appropriate. All the jazz clubs I know of (and I know about the jazz scene in the city) are a little more dressed up than flip flops. You might be able to find one or two in Berkeley that are a little more relaxed. Bix is definitely not a casual flip flop kind of place. You'd have better luck finding a casual Blues club.

That's about all I can answer for you. Maybe Mai Tai or The Jab can give you info on record stores.

Thanks for the info JenTiki!! FI Sunday it is! I read something about that Faire on here and realized it would be the weekend I am up there. Sounds good! Is the Kona Club OK to keep on the schedule for Friday night? Or do you think I should just bump the East Bay adventure all together, including dinner at TV, over to Sunday?

As for my definition of "swanky"- hah ha no I definitely don't consider flip flops swanky. :) I didn't type that out too well. I was asking about different types of places, as in- what are some cool swanky jazz clubs? And are there any places that are more casual that flip flops would be ok in (non-swanky jazz type places), like maybe a coffee shop or something like that.

Thanks again!

-John

R

Also in Monterey, I'd heartily endorse a meal at HULA's... their fish tacos are amazing and I regret not ordering them myself when out there.

Enjoy!
~Rupe

J

I've only been to the Kona Club once, and if it were half as cool as the mug Crazy Al created, I would go back. Unfortunately, the vibe and the music ruin it for me. It looks great, but it's basically a rocker bar with lots of fantastic decor. So in my opinion (and it's just my opinion people) I would skip Kona Club altogether. The only problem with moving the whole east bay leg to Sunday, is that the Conga Lounge in Oakland is not open on Sunday. It's small, but it has great atmosphere, drinks, and food! It is also owned by some of the same people who own Forbidden Island. If you go there on Friday, you should try to get there when it opens or you might have a hard time finding a seat. As for TV's, some of us will be starting my birthday celebration with lunch there on Sunday before heading over to FI, you and your girlfriend are welcome to join us. PM me if you want the details.

As for swanky jazz clubs, you could start with Jazz at Pearl's on Columbus, but they usually get busy on the weekends, so you'd probably need to buy tickets beforehand for whatever show they have that weekend. There is also a very good show at the Plush Room in the York Hotel that weekend. A friend of mine is doing his Tony Bennett tribute. Also, the Plush Room is known worldwide as one of the best intimate cabaret/jazz clubs in the country, but there are rumors that it will be closing its doors this fall. So catch it while you can. Oh, you'll probably need to buy tickets in advance for that show as well. It is expected to sell out. The Octavia Lounge and Rassela's also have some great jazz acts and are probably easier to get into at the last moment. As for casual "flip-flop" places :wink: in SF, I'm not sure I can answer that part for you. They're not the places I usually hang out. Maybe The Jab could help you out with that one.

On 2007-07-18 14:07, Aloha John wrote:
Thanks for the info JenTiki!! FI Sunday it is! I read something about that Faire on here and realized it would be the weekend I am up there. Sounds good! Is the Kona Club OK to keep on the schedule for Friday night? Or do you think I should just bump the East Bay adventure all together, including dinner at TV, over to Sunday?

As for my definition of "swanky"- hah ha no I definitely don't consider flip flops swanky. :) I didn't type that out too well. I was asking about different types of places, as in- what are some cool swanky jazz clubs? And are there any places that are more casual that flip flops would be ok in (non-swanky jazz type places), like maybe a coffee shop or something like that.

Thanks again!

-John

Rupe - Hula's IS on the itinerary up there, "dinner thursday". Thanks, I like fish tacos.

Thanks again JenTiki- that gives me a LOT of ideas to think about!

AND how's this for timing?!? I just got this from Otto's mailing list! Cool!!!!

TIKIS & BOOK SIGNING AT SAN FRANCISCO ALOHA FESTIVAL
AUGUST 4-5, 2007

Come to San Francisco's Presidio Parade Grounds Sat & Sun, Aug.
4,5 for the BEST ALOHA FESTIVAL in the mainland since the
historical Hokule'a sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge in 1995. TUI
COMMUNICATIONS' (Booths #1-2: first tents west of the HUGE stage)
WELCOMES THE INTREPID TIKI COLLECTOR!

Admission is FREE! Enjoy a VILLAGE OF ISLAND-STYLE BOOTHS, FOOD &
ALOHA SPIRIT.

SHOP at Tui Communications for VINTAGE TIKIS, HAWAIIANA & PACIFICANA
COLLECTIBLES, TIKI MUGS, TIKI BOOKS, TAPA/SIAPO ARTWORK, Old & New
HAWAII & ISLAND BOOKS, CRAFTS, VINYL RECORDS, EPHEMERA, POSTCARDS
& MORE!

PLUS, get your signed copy of the long-awaited PACIFIC VOICES TALK
STORY: CONVERSATIONS OF AMERICAN EXPERIENCE, VOL. 4, featuring 15
amazing Islanders from across the US. VISIT
www.tuicom.com for more information & a taste
of what you will find at Tui Communications' tapatikitext unique
booths!! See you at the SAN FRANCISCO ALOHA FESTIVAL!

Aloha Aloha John,
Moving your TV and FI adventures to Sunday is a very sound idea, as JenTiki suggests. I also received notice about the SF Aloha Festival and got excited until I saw it was on that same weekend as Jen's birthday. (I live a little over an hour north of SF, so I would basically have to spend the entire weekend away from home to do both.) The Presidio is a wonderful place to hold a festival, but it can be very difficult to get in and out. Most people attending the Aloha Festival will make it an all day event. You could spend 30 minutes on the approach road to get into the festival site, then finding a parking place may take another 20 minutes. Once you have fought traffic and found a place to park, spending less than a few hours at the festival just doesn't seem fair. The music and dance are continuous all day long, and there are LOTS of food vendors to keep you happy. Families usually bring a big blanket and a cooler and stake out their territory in the grass in front of the stage. If you are planning other events on either day of the festival, you will need to review your schedule. Last time we went, we spent 4 hours hanging around the booths and listening to the music, and just didn't want to leave. Also, make sure you wear clothes in layers, as it can be very chilly in the morning and then get very warm in the afternoon. I highly recommend this event, but please allot sufficient time if you do go!!

Hope to see you soon!
Myke

CL

*Traffic driving from Monterey to the East Bay on a Friday afternoon will be…? *

Drove Monterey to Alameda on a weekly basis for several years....If you leave around 2, it'll take you about 1.5 - 2 hours. After 3pm it may take 2.5 - 3 hours. Reason: You'll hit several traffic areas, heavier Friday traffic, and requisite accidents and stalls. Sadly, both 101 and 880 are subject to delays. Southbay traffic dies down around 7:30 pm (the route you'll be going through)

*Hotel suggestions close to FI. Safe parking for girlfriend’s new car. *
The Days Inn is okay...but at times it can get kinda sketchy. We had a New Years eve post FI party there and it was sketchy in terms of hangers about. We dropped TikiCleen and DHat off last night and it seemed fine. The cars in the parking lot were nice and no sketchy hangers about.

In terms of Alameda safety/vibe, FI and Days Inn are on the rougher side of the island, which relatively speaking (ie. other cities) isn't that rough. Alameda's generally fairly safe with a diligent police force. Just don't drive over 25 on the Island. You will get a ticket. Also, if you're into architecture, just driving around Alameda and Oakland will be a treat. Alameda has distinct zones of architecture from Victorian, to Craftsman, to early century Mediterranean, to a few mid-century moderns.

The cab service in Alameda (there are literally 2 cabs - not service, cabs) is iffy at best. Takes forever for them to show if at all. Rent a car. Everything's within a 15 minute drive of each other. If you don't want to drive, you might want to consider renting a limo for a flat fee for the evening.

I would highly recommend Bix's...but it's dress up. They probably won't admit you in jeans or flip flops. My guess for laid back flip flop Jazz club acceptance would be Yoshi's in the East Bay.

• Music stores for old Exotica albums? Or have you guys picked them all clean? :P I have enjoying hacruising the Amoeba's up there on past trips*...Amoeba is good. The independents are drying up here...but a really great place is also the Alameda Antiques Fair. There are several vinyl vendors in usual attendance there.

I am really looking forward to getting back to the bay area and this time seeing these cool tiki places I’ve read about and seen on TC/Critiki, and hopefully meeting some of the regulars…

The locals are usually at FI on Weds and/or Thursdays. :)

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2007-07-19 13:52 ]

B

I will probably haul the family down for the Aloha Festival on the weekend---Look for the frisky family of four!

AJ

Well what can I say, I love the Bay area, so much so I can see myself moving there someday. We had a great time on our trip. We did some touristy stuff, to relive some childhood memories, and we saw some great tiki sites! I didn't even come close to fitting in everything I wanted to, but isn't that always the case? Better to go with too many possibilites than to come home and find out about something cool after the fact. On our way up we stopped in Cambria to hit an antique store or 2 and left with an OMC black moai mug, a Tiki Gardens swizzle stick, and a concrete moai statue!

First time tiki spots included- Hula's in Monterey, Trader Vic's S.F., The Tonga Room, the Hukilau, and last but certainly not least, Forbidden Island. I have never felt so welcome in a place I've never been. I was welcomed by many TCers, most of which I have never met...JenTiki, Coco Loco, Conga Mike, Haole'akamai, Mai Tai, and I believe I met Tikiwinebear and Tikitastic, right? The bar itself is amazing, the drinks were tasty, and the company was great. We didn't have much time to spend there, but I can't wait to make it back! Thank you all again for the advice on this post and for the hospitality at Forbidden Island!

At Hula's-

At T.V. S.F.-

Tonga Room-

Hukilau restaurant in S.F.

Former site of Tiki Bob's...

At Forbidden Island!

Some of our souvenirs-

Some of my favorite NON TIKI scenic pics from the trip-

We stayed a night here, at the Opal.

Looking for the Forbidden Island! :wink:

Down at the Wharf...

Cool sign at the Dirty Martini.

View from Coit Tower.

Typical tourist dorks-

Great pics John...esp the Dirty Martini. Sepia rocks!!

Hey, it was great meeting you and your GF. Thanks so much for seeking us out. FI is always happy to have a TCer visit our shores.

Here's to seeing you guys in the near future!!

Yep, we did meet at Forbidden Island. Great pics....sounds and looks like you 2 had a great trip!

Glad you guys had a blast, Aloha John! Yep, we did meet up at Forbidden Island. You are good people... come back again soon! And, great pictures too. Makes me want to be a tourist too!!

Myke

Pages: 1 12 replies