Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Party report from Monterey open house - Unbelievable!

Pages: 1 2 replies

What a time we had at Hula's in Monterey. I never expected so many Tikophiles to show up! But I guess I shouldn't have worried about it because once the drinks started flowing, we all really got into the aloha spirit.

My long time friend, and co-conspirator, Harry opened the night's festivities with a dramatic reading of the lyrics to Hawaiian Cowboy. It was too much! That guy is a riot.

Jack brought a couple of his drinking buddies along. They got a little out of hand later that night. "Hey Haoles", he shouted as he stood up on the bar,"Just because the bar is closed, doesn't mean we're done drinking"! Of course with that the bouncers decided they had had enough.

The Shermans made an appearance late in the evening. Robert at the piano(or was it Richard - I can't tell them apart) and his brother entertained us with some of their classics. They had us rolling on the floor denying that they ever had too many spiked Dole Pineapple Whips and that they ever floated air biscuits back behind Tangaroa.

Reuniting with Hattie after all these years was an emotional experience for me. She's such a great gal. Always so gracious and full of the island spirit. Of course with the millions she made selling her chain of stores, she's not for want of anything. She's stilling trying to get her teaching credential back though - the law suit goes to court in September. We all wished her good luck.

Thor came and went early that evening. He's working on a new boat and plans to set sail sometime next spring. He's trying to prove his theory that vikings came to the Americas via the pacific.

Vic came for awhile to work the bar. He's got a new drink called the Alonga Waika made with 7 types of rum, 40 year old okolehao, and a cherry Jolly Rancher. Man, two or three of those and you're messed up! Take my advice, KAPU!!!

But the big surprise of the evening came when Don, fresh from his gig at Forbidden Island, came swaggering in with his posse in tow. With a grand flourish, he ordered drinks on him for the entire party. What a great guy!

Don's a wealth of information about Tiki's hey day. Over a pu pu platter he told us a story of him performing in the Coco Bowl at Kelbos back in '69 and having to help get people out when one of the Flaming Kava bowls set the tapa cloth on the walls on fire. In thanks the owners promised him a lifetime supply of their Hawaiian ribs. He used to get a case of them flown in every month to the Hilton. He'd eat a few every night before going on at the famous 'Kaiser Dome'.

The night was just unbelievable. After Guitar Bob, The Amazing Randy, and I polished off 3 Mai Tais, 2 bottles of warm saki, and a Zombie, all while watching Endless Summer on the TV behind the bar, you could have told us anything and we'd believe it! Wouldn't you? :)

Aloha,
Okolehao

U

Dude... you rock!

Sorry I missed Stevo...I love it when he flashes that badge. :lol:

Pages: 1 2 replies