Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

John, vibes from Clouseaux + Squid - July 28, 29 at Milano's

Pages: 1 15 replies

S

Yup, you heard right. John Best the vibraphonic wizard from Clouseaux will be performing this Fri and Sat with Squid and the Aaron Stroessner trio. If you dig straight-ahead jazz and standards and good Italian food, this is the deal for you.

6:30-9:30
Fri and Sat
Milano's Italian Kitchen
21550 Oxnard St.
Woodland Hills, Ca 91367
(818) 340-8400

eatatmilanos.com

Sounds cool man. Maybe it would take a fellow drummin bruddah to get a pic of you beatin the skins. :wink:

Might make it out to support a fellow Jazz head if things don't get too busy around the ranch.

Peace.

[ Edited by: GiantRobotTiki 2007-07-27 16:42 ]

S
squid posted on Sat, Jul 28, 2007 8:30 AM

[ Edited by: squid 2007-07-28 11:45 ]

Squid, we all had a great time. I finally got pictures, this time I was smart -- took pictures while there was still light!

The Squidster in his groove....

Break time!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jul 28, 2007 9:31 AM

Somebody turn off the damned TV so Squidster isn't distracted while he plays!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jul 28, 2007 11:26 AM

GROG not able to make it last night because GROG was at a Simpsons Movie screening, but GROG going tonight if anybody want to join GROG at Milanos to see and hear these guys play. GROG has to work all day today, so it will be nice to get out and hear some tunes, eat some Italian food, and drink some alcoholic beverages.

Hi everybody,

Thanks to all who came out and supported the gig this weekend! Squid, thanks for the invite! It was great fun jammin' this weekend with you.

Can I put one of these pics on my website? I need to do a serious overhaul on it anyway... including a link to Tiki central!

take care,
John

Great pics Cheeky!!

John? Do you know Billy Hulting or Roger Burns by anychance? Both are good friends. Would have loved to have heard your vibe playing. Not enough vibe players in this town.

Sorry Squid. Ended up gettin busy myself. Usually always show up & support my drummin bros/musos. Had a CD release party for an artist I recorded with. Too bad youz guyz don't play the whole evening (till 1 or so). I would have been able to make it then. Is this a steady gig?

Is that a Yamaha maple absolute kit?

Here's a pic I thought you might enjoy. Me and the Vinster at NAMM last year.

[ Edited by: GiantRobotTiki 2007-07-29 13:34 ]

TM

Squid rocks!!!!

I , too , am a drummerboy . That is a sweet Yamaha set Mr. Squid ( ee-ka in Japanese ) .

Currently I'm not in a band , but have my own little drum house next to our main house so I can play whenever I please . Now playing a Gretsch Broadkaster bop kit . Also own a round badge 20/14/12 . Here is a pic of the bop Broads .

Did anybody happen too sneak in a mic under their Hula skirt or fez to record this jam? I would really like to hear the souful stylins this eclectic collection of exotic hepcats were layin' down.

Dig!
Chongolio

Grog, didn't see you were going until late...otherwise, I would have joined ya! And Yes, I agree, we didn't need to see that episode of Star Trek in the background!

JohnVibes, of course you can use the pictures! I'm not sure if I posted all of them, but I will check through and if you'd like I can e-mail them to you.

Chongo, damn, next time I'll sneak in a recorder!

[ Edited by: CheekyGirl 2007-07-30 18:02 ]

S
squid posted on Mon, Jul 30, 2007 7:57 PM

On 2007-07-29 22:57, sushiman wrote:
I , too , am a drummerboy . That is a sweet Yamaha set Mr. Squid ( ee-ka in Japanese ) .

Currently I'm not in a band , but have my own little drum house next to our main house so I can play whenever I please . Now playing a Gretsch Broadkaster bop kit . Also own a round badge 20/14/12 . Here is a pic of the bop Broads .

OOH. I'll have some of those!!! Don't ever let those sweet Gretsch babies go. Actually my kit is Legend. They were made by Kaman in the Ovation guitar factory in the mid 90s.

S

Hey Squid ,

A Legend kit ? First one I've even seen . I had a couple of Legend snare drums but sold them . Not that they were bad sounding or anything , just wanted something else .

The badges on that Legend kit resemble Yamaha's , so I assumed ...Now , upon closer inspection , I see that the lugs are not Yammy's .

Actually , I have two Gretsch Broadkaster ( with Jasper shells ) bop kits , both in the burnt orange satin finish . The other one has a factory tom mount/holder on the bass drum . I bought it to get the matching snare drum for the kit pictured . Thought I could quickly move it over here in Japan as Gretsch jazz kits are much sought after , but I've had it on action for months at a nice price and no bueno . Guess they don't dig the gunmetal finish on the hardware - got to be chrome . Personally speaking , I deeply dig the burnt orange / gunmetal combo .

What are you using for a snare drum in the pics ? Can't quite make out the lugs .

Sushi

Nyyyycceeee kit there Sushi!

I tried getting a stopsign badge Gretch kit for months on Ebay, but kept getting outbid on them at the last minute. Something about those gumwood jasper shells. Guess that's why Vinnie went back to using them over Yammies.

Sorry Squid. Thought your kit was a yammy bop kit. They look nice! The lugs look like the lugs on my Maple Absolutes.

Cool to see there's other drummin bro's here on TC.

BTW? Do you play traditional grip? (noticed the angle of the snare).

You'd like this spoof video from the guys at house of drumming about traditional grip (he's an actual character in the vid).
http://www.houseofdrumming.com/media-test.htm

Peace.

S

On 2007-07-31 05:59, GiantRobotTiki wrote:

I tried getting a stopsign badge Gretch kit for months on Ebay, but kept getting outbid on them at the last minute. Something about those gumwood jasper shells. Guess that's why Vinnie went back to using them over Yammies.

Peace.

Love this Broadkaster set . 18x14 ; 14x14 and 12x8 . To my ears the best sounding kit I have ever played/owned , and I have played tons over the years . Last year I sold my Sonor Phonic bop kit , and my two Sonor Signature bop sets , and bought the Gretsch round badge 20/14/12/matching snare ; the Broadkaster bops ; and a tangerine sparkle Gretsch USA Custom 18/13FT/10 club kit . Don't listen to the detractors who say there is nothing special about the Gretsch shells and their sound . Vinnie knows the score , as does Stanton Moore and many others who are hip to Gretsch .

Pages: 1 15 replies