Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Frostee Glass Chiller? [photo]

Pages: 1 12 replies

*** JUST WHAT EVERY WELL-STOCKED HOME BAR NEEDS!!!!***

I found this *Frostee Instant Glass Froster-Chiller *, but can't find any info on the web.

Other than Frostee, I can't find a maker or manufacturer info on the box. Nada. I'm thinking mid-60's. Anyone know of this product/line?

I haven't tried it out, because it doesn't even say what's in the CAN of FROST (other than, "Can of Frost is a special formula liquid gas. It is non-toxic, tasteless, odorless and harmless - non-toxic AND harmless!)). I assume it's the same stuff as the modern cans of compressed air used for dusting computers; does that "go bad" after time?

The box is in beautiful shape and the typeface is really fabulous, I think.

Any help is appreciated.

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2007-07-27 10:44 ]

My parents had one of those when I was a kid. I don't know where they got it and they didn't use it all that much. That was the 60s and my guess is that they probably got it as a wedding gift, which would have made it late 50s. But the time frame would be late 50s, early 60s. I don't know if they still have it. Given that they have moved twice since then my guess is no. It would have probably been thrown out in the second move.

The way it worked as I recall was that you put a glass upside down over the top of the thing and then pressed a lever that released the gas, and that frosted the glass. I thought it was really cool. There have been many a time in recent years that I wished that I had it.

MT

Wow, that thing is really cool, Thayer!

My guess is just like yours, that it has compressed air of some type, like the stuff to clean computers. That stuff comes out cold! Anyways, I'd be leery of using it after it's sat in the can for over 40 years!

Tee Hee!! I found the maker! The Frostee was made by The Regalia Gift Corp, out of North Bellmore, N.Y.

I couldn't find any web presence and I looked up their old address (1331 Newbridge Rd.) and the building now houses The Nassau Gymnastics Center. So I guess Regalia is long gone...

Here's a film clip of a glass froster in action. Unfortunately not the same brand, but it is the same process.

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2761977

MT

After watching that video, and seeing how quickly that the glass is instantly frosted, I'm 99.9% sure that the can is filled with carbon dioxide - C02. Carbon Dioxide comes out cold, damn cold - much colder than the stuff used to dust off computer parts. Anyone that has ever used a CO2 powered bb gun as a child can attest to that. Plus, I believe that carbon dioxide is odorless, tasteless, and non toxic, at least in that small of quantity. CO2 baby, yeah!

Awww.... you mean it's not releasing R12 into the atmosphere with every frosty chilled glass? And here I thought it was a perfect accompaniment to my making my "Clubbed Seal Cocktail" :D

Chris

I agree with Mai Tai, probably uses Co2. Bicycle tire inflaters use Co2 and they get frigging cold when they discharge.

On 2007-07-29 12:52, Rum Hunter wrote:
Bicycle tire inflaters use Co2 and they get frigging cold when they discharge.

The bicycle inflaters do?

The metal Co2 cartridges get cold

So not to drag up an old thread from the deep, but this was just too weird. Some dipshit named Rod DeShano evidently saw my post/joke from above recently, and felt the need to copy out the text and send it to me with the subject "your a tree hugging little pussy!". WTF?!?! What the hell kind of person decides to email a complete stranger to insult them about something that was obviously written as a joke - 3 years ago!

Chris

Bizzarooooooooo!!!

Pages: 1 12 replies