Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Our Back Yard Tiki Bar in PA

Pages: 1 24 replies

K

2 1/2 months ago we stumbled upon this inspirational website and decided to build a tiki bar in the back yard... Well, 2 1/2 months later we're sharing it with fellow TC'rs.

Any feedback is welcome. I also collected a great list of suppliers for thatch, bamboo, etc...

Thanks for looking!

-Lyn & Karl-

I like that Johnny's bartending. I'll bet he makes a good pirate grog. :)

:lol: Yeah, that is some classy bartender. Your bar looks great and I am sure will be an inspiration for others too. Let's see a picture of that baby fully stocked and in party mode. :)

Welcome to TC. :tiki:

T

Assume you used plans for your Tiki Bar? Any reaction from Mr. Nextdoor? Ejhoy!

Thortiki

K

The neighbors love the bar! They were our first customers. Still some more decorating to do with masks and lights. I'll post more pictures later of the bar in full swing and fully stocked!

K

Pirate Grog:

1 can of Lime Aide (frozen)
Fill that same can up with tequila and poor it over the lime aide
Add one bottle of Corona
Add one can of Sprite

Got this recipe from someone... Have not tried it out yet though they rave about it...

Don't do it.

A solid bar like this should be christened by a concoction from Beachbum Berry's Grog Log, Intoxica, or Sippin' Safari recipe books.
The magic potions contained in these scriptures will open your eyes (and those of your neighbors) to the true meaning of Tiki!

On 2007-08-05 18:40, karlmbar wrote:
Pirate Grog:

Add one bottle of Corona
Add one can of Sprite

Got this recipe from someone... Have not tried it out yet though they rave about it...

That sounds like a great way to find yourself "giving the old heave ho" at the end of the evening, in either the bushes or the "porcelain pirate throne". :D

Chris

H

On 2007-08-05 18:40, karlmbar wrote:
Pirate Grog:

Add one bottle of Corona
Add one can of Sprite

Ha! Very funny! Next time you make such a joke PLEASE post a smiley or else some unfortunate clueless newbie will actually take you seriously and make (and drink) that retched concoction.
On the other hand... it would probably serve them right.

K

O.K. for those of you looking to build your own bar... I first offer my condolences... Just kidding!

Listing of suppliers / materials:

Calibamboo.com for the 2 inch bamboo fencing used to surround the outside of the bar.
Thatch from ebay - Don't pay more than $150(including shipping) for 30" by 60' rolls of braided thatch.
The Plan - This is a "Tiki-Kev" plan but... don't start building using this plan without emailing me first. I can share the do's and don'ts based on that plan.
Bar Top - I used Oak plywood and sealed it using West System Epoxy Resin (Check your local marina or marine supply)
The roof is contstructed from cedar 2x4's. The facia board for the roof is 1x6 cedar decking.
Cabinet doors are plywood painted with two coats of oil paint.

Good luck!

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Aug 6, 2007 8:39 AM

It looks good, but, it also looks a bit top heavy and might act like a sail in wind. If it is not anchored down, I'd think about doing it. I might be off here, but it seems like a strong wind might topple it.

You might consider a couple of nice upgrades in there like mounting fans inside for those hot days and speakers inside there too. One of these days I might get something like that in my yard and these are ideas I had.

T

Very nice job!

I want whatever is behind door #3 on the right... :)

How many electrical outlets did u put in? Seeing yours makes me think I would want to put at least four outlets on the inside the easily plug in table lamps, blenders and such.

thanks!

K

Hoping the wind won't topple it. The base is seriously heavy. It has a layer of t-111 siding under all that bamboo and lot's of plywood. Ya never know though.... Good advise. Might add a water mist system in it. Think there's a $200 kit you can buy. Either that or just get a bunch of kids with water pistols... :)

The bar has 3 outlet's in it. It is hardwired to a sub panel in the garage. The outlets are run starting with a GFI and then two more regular 20 amp outlets. The GFI will react to the other two outlets.

Karl,

Great tiki bar, congrats! It looks like it was well worth the effort. Where in PA do you live? If you guys can make it, I am having an "Aloha Summer" luau on Staurday 1 September in Allentown.

Matt

i was wondering where you live too. PA is a big place, eh?

my roots are near RugbyMatt's stomping grounds.

..sb

K

I live near Quakertown, PA so... not far at all.

Quakertown qualifies as part of the Lehigh Valium, so that's cool.
Matt, you got another local!

And perhaps I have another person to send me tastykakes. :wink:

--sb

O

On 2007-08-07 08:58, karlmbar wrote:
I live near Quakertown, PA so... not far at all.

Welcome! I'm in Emmaus, Matt's not far from me.. how "near Quakertown"?

no freaking way. I grew up in Emmaus.
well, actually Lower Macungie Township, but I went to Emmaus Schools and had an emmaus address.

T

Hey, Karl good job on the bar, looks like a great start. Remember a tiki bar is NEVER finished! I thought it looked like a "Tiki Kev" bar. One thing, it needs mo' tikis, bruddah!

Check out some of the threads under Creating Tiki and Locating Tiki for some great ideas and pictures of others home bars.

Also, good to hear so many PA guys around on the list I thought I was the only one. I'm in "Historic" (tikiless) Bucks County, not too far from Quakertown.

Thanks for sharing!

T

Don't live in Emmaus, but my sister did, for over 12 years. She just moved to Nazareth Township two years ago. Nice town, Emmaus. What was the name of the hot dog place there?

O

Yocco's.

Ugh. Nasty things, those...

We bought our house in Emmaus two years ago.. Hmmm.

R

Don't start Yocco bashing on TC.

K

Let's put it this way... Not far from Q-town. Live just outside of Perkasie, PA in N. Bucks County. Rt. 309 is in easy reach. In fact, used to work up on Allentown off of Tilghman Ave.

I'll try to post more pictures as I decorate the Tiki Bar. Have one really cool wooden mask and I'm sure with all my trips to Mexico that I'll be picking up some cool stuff!

I'll be starting Friday Happy Hour shortly. The liquor is not fully stocked yet so it might be beer and coolers to start with........... Have to find the extra few hundred bucks to start stocking it up with all the right stuff.

Karl,

When you have your "grand opening" party or start the happy hours invite the TC Ohana and you'll quickly see the rumm stock for your bar increase.

Matt

Pages: 1 24 replies