Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Any Tiki Burners in the Tribe? BURNING MAN 2007

Pages: 1 13 replies

Hukilau Brown is celebrating his 10 year Burniversary.

The Tiki Tour Adventure Van is headed to the playa!
It's kinda like a luau. Theres booze and lotza things on fire.

any tiki tribe gonna be there?

What are the dates again?

last week in Aug.

check out

burningman.com

I'll be going for the first time. I'm trying to figure out what to take etc. We need to meet up.

A
Al-ii posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2007 6:59 AM

You need a bike, sunscreen, bottled water, some warm clothes, it gets cold on the Playa, a tent, a chair, some food, clothing is optional. make sure to see the fashion show and the opera. Fuck!!! I'm not doing anything else? It is worth the drive.
From 99

THUNDERDOME!!!!

[ Edited by: Al-ii 2007-08-07 07:00 ]

Over 500 clams for 2 people? Don't have it.

Al,

thanks for the cool photos... great costumes, looks like a blast.. i'm getting excited. i've wanted to go forever and lost interest after so many years went bye. so this is the year.

H

Hey, I was there in '99 too! As well as '94, '95, and '96. In fact my music project performed there in '96. Those photos from '99 look positively quaint compared to what's been going on recently. Expect 45 to 50 thousand people. Reverend Al (ex head-honcho of the LA Cacophony Society) said in '96 that Burning Man was not fun for them anymore because they were no longer allowed to use dynamite in their performances. I have to agree that it ain't what it used to be, but given the right mindset it is still a great time. Nevertheless, if I ever go again, it will only be with an RV.

K

I went in 1999 and had a blast! My friend and I had one tent for ourselves, and
one tent just for our costumes and props. We decorated our bikes which were really
necessary for covering great distances on the playa. I do recall hooking up with
some tiki people drinking cocktails....

I survived my first Burning Man with a record number of more than 48,000 folks, extreme weather conditions including white outs that lasted for hours with zero visibility and massive destruction to the tents and shelters and temperatures during the day of over 100. The evenings were unusually warm and gorgeous. The photos don't do it justice. The Playa comes to life at night completely lit up with art cars and fire effects every where. It is completely indescribable, like nothing you can imagine and surreal. I had a blast. Anyone up for a TC camp next year?

BigRigJig

Temple of Foregiveness (This was really moving and somber- Burners made tributes and wrote messages to their loved ones that were deceased. It was burned down on Sun. night)

Homouroboros - At night it appeared snakes were climbing down and grabbing the monkeys. It was powered by folks riding the stationary bikes set up around it.

Freedom Ride 700+ women letting it all hang out

Crude Awaking - Unbelievable - the metal sculptures were lit at night inside with fire breathing out of their hands and groins etc. This was burned down on Sat. night

a friend's art car

Dayum girlfriend...thanks for those pictures. Looks like you had a great time. I have wanted to go to this event for years. I am a wuuus, so would have to do an RV and my electric GEM to get around. I have vacations planned for the next couple of years, but could do this in 2010....seriously.

http://www.burningman.com/

Thanks Vamp, I think a TC theme camp would be a lot fun. Keep it in mind.

The very first theme camp at Burning Man was in fact Tiki Camp which when the gig first moved from the beach to the outskirts of Gerlach was quite the oasis.

This was before there were any comercial ventures there, and everyting was free...it was pretty sweet.

I was there in '98 and '99. Was that really 9 years ago? Anyway, I remember going to a tiki themed camp. Anyone got pics?

Pages: 1 13 replies