Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis Show: Rare glimpses of hidden Tiki temples from bigbro's recent expeditions

Pages: 1 11 replies

I am happy to finally firmly and formally confirm ( :) ) my slide presentation at this year's Tiki Oasis in San Diego, on Saturday the 18th, 4:30 pm!

I will share some images from my most recent and farthest urban archeology expeditions, among them views of the Trader Vic's at the Havana Hilton:

which is now called The POLINESIO at the Habana Libre:

...plus I will throw in a few other mid-century Havana locations frozen in time, like the Nautical Club:

Also shown will be pictures of the lost treasures inside the long closed Chin Tiki in Detroit:

.....among them rare Witco artifacts such as this "Witchdoctor" lamp:

I am also very hopeful that I will have with me one or two ADVANCE COPIES of TIKI MODERN, to carefully hand around the audience so they can caress it's cloth cover! IF the copies make it, they will arrive a mere day or two before the show. Words can not describe my anticipation. :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-08-06 14:26 ]

A
Al-ii posted on Mon, Aug 6, 2007 1:39 PM

I got my ticket. See you there Sven.
Mahalo,
Al

Hi Sven, when do you start leading groups on tiki tours to far away places? We would follow you anywhere! See you soon, Wendy and Dan

i'm stoked! i'm sure your presentation will be the highlight of my first tiki oasis.

King, please introduce yourself since we never met. Al and Wendy, looking forward to seeing you again.

Which reminds me that I am already worried again over all the Ohana that will be there that have met me over the years but that I will not be able to remember by name or face...PLEASE do not take it as arrogance or as shunning you, these events are just a little overwhelming for me, and there are several possibilities of insufficient social interaction that I am paranoid about:

A.) I know you from somewhere, but can't remember from where, and can't associate you with a name

B.) I know you from somewhere, but can only remember your Tiki Central name

C.) I do not recognize you at all, even though we might have met!

I ask forgiveness in advance for any of the above sins, they are not a reflection of YOU, but of MY socially inept nerdiness.

TL

Dear Sven,
Of course you can't remember everyone; none of us mere mortals could either.

As one of the high priests of Tiki Island, it is to your credit that you don't pretend to a politician's flim-flam.

It's rather our duty to appreciate your pioneering attitude, and take courage in our own forays.

Tiki Lion defends your right not to remember our faces - the ohana shares one heart.

And speaking of the heart of the matter: Pupu Platter and Mai Tai's anyone?

F

Crap- wish i could make it.

Whats up Sven?

The pics above are great

[ Edited by: fatuhiva 2007-08-07 21:23 ]

O
Otto posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 3:25 AM

On 2007-08-07 10:45, bigbrotiki wrote:
. . . I am paranoid about:

A.) I know you from somewhere, but can't remember from where, and can't associate you with a name

B.) I know you from somewhere, but can only remember your Tiki Central name

C.) I do not recognize you at all, even though we might have met!

Sven, I feel your pain!
Thanks for sharing that with us

Krikeee....I am lucky if I can remember myself when I look in the mirror!!! Nobody can be expected to remember everyone they meet in life.:) I am bringing my BOT and hope to be able to meet you and snag a signature. Thanks for posting those great pictures above. This will be my first Oasis, and I am excited about all the wonderful events that are offered, including your presentation.

I will make sure to carry a supply of fine point sharpies with me, so anyone can hit me up anywhere to sign the BOT. I am glad you found it :wink: , and am looking forward to meeting you.

that sounds like something I might need to see !

Sven,
thats pretty funny, as a few people at last years Oasis, thought that I was you, just because are TC names are kinda close.
I said oh no, i'm just a very part time tiki fan, not a tiki god like Sven,
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)
p.s. I am looking Forward to your show.

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2007-08-08 09:50 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies