Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Moving to Denton, TX on Saturday - any local TX Ohana?

Pages: 1 26 replies

S

As I have posted in a few other places in various ways, I am moving to Denton, TX this weekend in order to attend grad school at UNT. Are there any other tiki enthusists in the area that wouldn't mind showing me around? I can't seem to find any evidence of many tiki lounges, save Trader Vic's in Dallas (although I'll have to go and try that new drink!). I'd love tips on anywhere to go!

Thanks!
Suzanne

H

Make sure you check out Brave Combo, the best polka band in the world!

They're based in Denton.

S

Yes, yes, yes. Denton will surely be the Home of Happiness! hahahah

I'll just keep looking for Tim Curry.

:D

Suzanne

R

The Tejas Ohana are a dedicated bunch but outside of the awesomeness that is Trader Vic's there isn't much in the way of Tiki. Rumor has it that Houston is the next target market for a new TV's though. I lived just south of Denton '88-'91 and played rugby for the local club. Good luck!

S

Sounds like I'll be building that home bar up and putting out the beacons next to the tiki torches.... I know I won't be alone. Eventually we'll find each other!

Suzanne

K

I'm a regular Trader Vic's bar fixture. Let me know when you're going and we'll share some pu-pu's.

As Rugbymatt mentioned, not much else tiki in the area. I think there's a few good antique stores in Denton.

[ Edited by: Kenike 2007-08-10 06:02 ]

Neely Pritt

You'll find happy hearts, and smiling faces
And tolerance for the ethnic races - in Denton
Harry Weiss

You'll find a rambling rose and a picket fence
Emily Weiss

Tenderness and innocence - in Denton
Vance Parker

You'll find conference rooms
And a children's playground
Denton is a real OK town
Civic pride and civic duty
And Denton girls are
(wolf whistle)
Full of beauty
Cheerleaders

You may call us the goody goody two shoes
We're here to cheer you with the good news
That D-E-N-T-O-N gets T-E-N
That's ten out of ten!
Ralph Hapschatt

If you're looking for a life of leisure
Macy Struthers

You're going to get a whole lot to please ya
Ralph Hapschatt

Again and again
Macy Struthers

And again and again
Ralph and Macy

And again!
Studio Audience

Denton, Denton, you've got no pretension
You're where the heart is, you're OK
Denton, Denton, I'd just like to mention
You're the home of youth
You're America's truth
You're Denton, Denton, U.S.A.
Emily Weiss

This is the Mecca of America
Harry Weiss

The Bethlehem of the West
Emily Weiss

This is the birthplace of the virtuous
Harry Weiss

The home of happiness
Macy Struthers

Leisurewise, we're you will adapt
Ralph Hapschatt

Enjoy your stay, have a happy holiday
Cheerleaders

And we'll all put Denton, Denton, on the map
Studio Audience

Denton, Denton, you've got no pretension
You're where the heart is, you're OK
Denton, Denton, I'd just like to mention
You're the home of youth
You're America's truth
You're Denton, Denton, U.S.A.

Denton, Denton, you've got (clap) no pretension
You're (clap) where the heart is, you're OK
Denton, Denton, I'd just (clap) like to mention
You're (clap) the acceptable face
(clap) Of the human race
You're (clap) Denton, Denton, U.S.A.
Betty Hapschatt

And now for a commercial break

never could leave things alone

S

This has completly made my day!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Love it.

Suzanne

P.S. In the non-Richard O'Brian world, I will let you folks know when I head to the Dallas TVs (Trader Vic's in this case, and not transvestite as we might mistake from other mentions in this thread).

P.P.S. hahahahahahahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaa!

S

are you there yet???
Oh my!!! I hope you had a safe trip!
I'm thinkin' bout ya.
hmmm, guess I better look up Denton and book some plane tickets sometime.
PEa

I

I will also chime in and praise Brave Combo, my favorite band from Denton. They are hosting a CD release party this Friday, so definitely check them out if you haven't done so already

The following is a link to a journal page by Carl Finch, one of the leading forces behind Brave Combo - he praises the charms of Denton, and slams developers for tearing down old historic buildings to build chain drug stores

http://www.brave.com/bo/scrapbook/pump/jan07.htm

S

she's not there yet, but somewhere in the mojave desert!
Hopefully she gits to stay at The Shady Dell...
http://www.theshadydell.com/

The Rubber Glove rehersal studio is a great dive to see alot of bands up close and personal. We played there a few years ago. I liked Denton when we were there, pretty laid back. I'll be living West of you (a few hours) when you get settled in. There are a few other TX TC's that live in the Dallas area, but they seem to forget to come by and check in. So I'm not sure of their where-a-bouts these days.

Perhaps when time allows from class and study, you could search Denton and surrounding area for tiki. I would start looking in the yellow pages under restruants, bars, apartments, etc. Report back when you find something. And you are most welcoem to email any Texas Ohana.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-08-16 08:24 ]

Suzanne!!

So excited for you to start school there (she's going to North Texas State, THE music school of the entire South, rivaled only by the likes of Berkely, New England Conservatory, Indiana and the like)!! Wish there were more going on tiki-wise in the vicinity, but you'll find it if it is.

Or create it if it isn't.

Looking forward to the next meeting of the Texas Ohana, most likely at Dallas TV's again.
You're always welcome in Houston, too, girlie: spare bedroom and a home bar worth getting drunk in.
Good luck on the next phase of your life!
F

P.S. And another hearty here-here to Brave Combo too!

Welcome to Texas!! I hope to be able to attend the next gathering. I wasn't able to attend because I was working. Sorry,all. But I'm definitely down for the next one!!

I'll be in Big-D Labor Day weekend, but I'm not sure If I can work out a meeting with anyone. LD weekend is like a huge b-day and wedding anniversary for myslef, my wahine and ohana. If I can get away for the day I'll email you all in the Dallas area (I think I have your phone # Dennis). We should plan a fall gathering in Dallas so we can meet our new TX ohana.

My wife and I just moved to McKinney, not too far from Denton. Have seen no Tiki, besides our own, thus far. There is a real nice Downtown-Old Town area with some cool bars though. When we get settled, I'd love to have some people over for a good old fashioned Texas Tiki drink fest!!

Swampcreature,

Get ahold of Kenike (Dennis), he and his wahine live in McKinney as well.
You can find him at TV after work sometimes. Here's a reference pic:

(he's the one on the left, next to the handsome drunk)

I'm just a few hours from Big-D. Name the time and date and I will try to make it... possibly a crawl over to Kenike's joint as well? :wink:

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-08-23 11:33 ]

Sounds like a plan. Almost have all the boxes emptied, kids are just about to start school, and our '63 T-Bird just arrived, so we're just about set. I am a musician(you might rembember me from such gems as: Dr. Beer, The Bermuda Triangle, Visitors From Space, or The Blue Panthers. Maybe not), an artist, and a drunk as well. I'm a pretty decent theremin player, too. I'll be in touch as soon as we get rid of all these damn boxes.

Sweet, I play theremin (& washboard) in my band Outhouse Moan

S

How did I space out on this thread?!

First of all, YES, Pea, get a ticket and come and see me! I've already laid plans for the home bar! I didn't get to go to the Shady Dell, but you and I will have to make a special trip there one of these days.

Formakahini: Yay! Thank you for posting and so good to hear from you! I am already thrilled about the music that is being made here - the Baroque and Classical opera opportunities I get to take part in are making me giddy, and just walking around in the halls and listening to some of the amazing jazz sneaking out from under studio doors is enough to make my heart flip, as it is really my second love. So far, also, it really seems as if the environment is a lot more positive and competitively encouraging than was my experience at Indiana. THANK YOU for the offer of your spare room and the adventure into your home bar! I'd be honored to even see it. We'll have to talk more when I find myself near Houston. :D Mahalo!

Unkle John: I didn't know there was a message board JUST for TX Ohana - that's fabulous! I'll swing over there for sure and I'll let you know if and when I locate any Texas Tiki that isn't already accounted for. :D

Diesel Tiki: Thanks for the welcome!

SwampCreature: I was just in McKinney yesterday.

To All: I would LOVE to meet you all in person. I am completely in for a local gathering! Please keep me updated! PMs here are great. Also, as soon as I manage to get my little bungalow furnished with something to sit on and I get my little bar built, I'd love to have an open house. Maybe we can plan a sort of home-bar crawl? (Give me a few months to get it all done, though! - Maybe we can shoot for the beginning of next year?)

YAY! Thanks for making me feel welcome!

Suzanne

Good to see you Suzanne!

You missed the May 5th Gathering didn't you?

S

May 5th? I just got to Texas a few weeks ago. Actually I arrived on Aug 15th, went back to CA for Oasis on the 16th, and didn't really get set up in Denton until the last few days of the month. Let me know when the next get together is though and I'll be there!

Suzanne

K
Kenike posted on Tue, Sep 4, 2007 5:51 PM

Take 35E south
East on 635
South on Dallas North Tollway
Exit Mockingbird, turn left
Trader Vic's is a couple of miles down on the right
Should take you about 50 minutes (on a Saturday)

Let us know when you're going and SwampCreature and I will see you there!

S

Awesome. Will do. I'm broke now but hope not to be soon and I'll let you know!

Suzanne

S

Attention Texantikiohana*!

I built my bar, and I'm planning on having a stock-the-bar party-- come over and enjoy the new Waitiki album as well as lots of other great tunes, have a few Beachcomber's Zombies or maybe a Puka Punch, and crash the bottle on the ol' new bar! I'm thinking sometime in the next few weeks as I don't want to wait too long to inaugurate her.

Let me know if you are interested in coming by and when might be good for you (I'm shooting for Oct 13th or 20th but that may change if I get picked up to work faire in Hillsboro).

Here's a photo of the bar:

Small, but the first time I've ever built a bar!

Suzanne

The Diva Pinup Exquisite Hair Flower Accessories - http://www.thedivapinup.com

[ Edited by: suzanne 2007-10-01 16:36 ]

S

P.S. The * was to indicate that Texantikiohana, if not already a word, is one now!

Suzanne

Pages: 1 26 replies