Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Bar Sign...

Pages: 1 4 replies

Hello, I've lurked on this board for a while mainly reading up on a lot custom pieces and sign work. I was a big fan of the AkuAku sign from Tipsy McStagger.

I mainly collect Funko Wacky Wobblers and have done so for just about 7 years now. There's a good group of folks over there and we get together yearly for an event known as Funday. They started doing contests for custom wobblers and it just grew from there as every year the stakes were raised and we had to work harder to surprise everyone.

I decided to do a piece called Tiki Bar. Now, Funko over the years has produced some tiki wobblers and vinyl pieces like Freaky Tiki, Glow Freaky Tiki, Kiki the Fashion Tiki, mini-Tiki's and Bamboo Lou among others.

I got a lot of positive feedback about it, and wanted to see what everyone here thought about it, since you folks are big enthusiasts.

So, here they are:

Because I had to ship it all out to San Diego (our event was held in conjunction with ComicCon) I had to assemble it when I got out there. I used mostly hot glue and clear gel. There was a problem with the one palm tree near the bottom of the sign (as you can see with the glue marks) but I'm going to sand that down and redo it. I will also be taking more pictures soon when I set it back up at home.

This was only my second try at doing a sign (the first one was a bowling themed one featuring a bowling devil called "El Diabowl".) But I'm getting more comfortable with it and I'm getting better tools to do them. So, I'm hoping to only get better at this.

Anyway, thanks for looking and I look forward to talking to everyone here.

TZ

Very nice work - especially the little tikis on the sign. The only thing better might be little tikis drinking from little tiki mugs.

But then, that might be a little creepy too, like BBQ places that advertise with a pig cooking the BBQ.

Hey Swobobafett, welcome to TC. Fun sign...good job for an early project. Keep up the great work and post the pictures of your projects...we love em. :)

Thanks!

Tiki Zen, I tried to find mini tiki mugs, but I was on short notice at the time and the only place I could find them was Party City and they were too big and cheap looking.

VampiressRN, thanks for the welcome, I'll start work on something new soon. Something bigger I think.

M

Extremely fun. I like the folks that approach tiki with a "let's have fun and be creative" attitude. This was a cool project.

Pages: 1 4 replies