Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Holy Crap Sven!!!!

Pages: 1 16 replies

G
GROG posted on Sun, Aug 12, 2007 1:12 AM

GROG saw a copy of Sven's new book tonight at the Farmer's Market when we went to listen to the Blue Hawaiians play and GROG just has to say HOLY CRAP SVEN!!! The book is AWESOME!!!!
It is GORGEOUS!!!!! Two semi-opposable thumbs up.

Sven is having a book signing at the Taschen store at the Grove September 13 and YOU HAVE GOT TO BE THERE to get this book!!You will NOT be disappointed.

IF GROG could've stolen this book from Sven tonight, then GROG would've. Damn, was it ever worth the wait. You lucky bastards have no idea how much you are going to like this book when you see it.

GROG can't wait 'til GROG has a chance to get a copy. Holy Shit!!!!

(Oops, fixed the date. Thanks Sven)

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-08-12 10:15 ]

EEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeee! I cant wait!

Cowabunga! If Grog likes da book, its gotta be dope!
I'm excited to have a new book on the bar....
When will it get to the east coast, Sven?

Ouuh, am still "groggy" from last night, that was a nice concerto, should not have had those sake Mai Tais (I didn't, really)....but Grog, you once said you didn't like Witco? :)
And wasn't the 15th YOUR special something day? Tell us about it. MY book signing will actually be on the September 13TH, a Thursday, at the new Taschen store in the Farmer's Market clock tower:

I received my advance copy from Hong Kong on Friday, and have been pouring over it...so far I found one spelling mistake, and one image with a digital hick-up....I immediately ordered the whole first printing run to be destroyed, and now it will be six more months til....only kidding, friends :)

Man, this thing is bigger and thicker than the BOT. I must be mad. For those who cannot wait to behold the book at my slide presentation at Tiki Oasis, there is another advance copy lying out at the Farmer's Market Taschen store to peruse. I have long gone past my frustration of not being able to have the whole shipment here in time to sign and sell at the Oasis, it is a mere replay of the mishap of trying to get the BOT out for the big Kahiki farewell party in 2000.

I'll do a preview thread here soon...

This feels like that Harry Potter craze all over again. Very exciting!

Yeah, I am waiting here with my digital camera and P2P software ready to go...

Totally kidding of course. :)

Bigbro, I look forward to adding your latest masterpiece to my collection. If it's half as good as the BOT, we are all in for a treat.

-CMC

G
GROG posted on Sun, Aug 12, 2007 10:17 AM

On 2007-08-12 08:10, bigbrotiki wrote:
but Grog, you once said you didn't like Witco? :)

Converted.

Hey PC29: Harry who?

(chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp...)

Actually, I totally agree with you, as does my current 12-year-old house guest, who also wants to make a Fairfax pilgrimage to view the new Scriptures.

BigBroTiki: what sort of time of day will your 09/13/07 event be (morn, after, eve)?

By the by, and just out of Puckish curiousity, I wonder what else we can convert Grog to...

I think they said 6:00 to 9:00 pm, but I will post specifics in a seperate thread in Tiki Events once it is all sorted out.

Thanks BigBroTiki!

I'll have to leave the Marina some early (still no outrigger diamond lanes on the 10...)

I had a great time last night and Tiki Modern blew my expectations away KaBOOM!

I knew it would be good but WOW! THANK YOU SVEN!

Cheeky Girl displays Tiki Modern.

Also exciting was watching Grog armed with only his wits and his bare hands kill a Saber Toothed Tiger that had wandered over from the La Brea Tar Pits. Someone in the food court even cooked it for him. Nice!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Aug 12, 2007 4:45 PM

GROG been fighting sabre tooths so long it become second nature to GROG, glad you enjoyed that. The trick is to get a very big rock and have it at the ready. Then you let the sabre tooth lunge at you and you hit it with the rock, knocking one of it's long canine tooths out. As the lion lands and is shook up from the blow, you grab the broken tooth, jump on the lions back, get a good grip under it's jaw with your forearm, lift its head and stab it in the jugular with the tooth. The same move could be used on mother-inlaws, but over the centuries they evolve so that they no longer have huge canine teeth, so GROG not able to give advice on how to handle mother-inlaws in modern times.

But, battling sabre tooths still not as exciting as seeing the TIKI MODERN book.Ooo baby!!

Having seen the paste-up at Hukilau 2006 I second all motions..it is an incredible book. The scope is at least as deep as the book of tiki and in many ways more advanced. Just a quality, quality piece of work.

Hi Grog (heh, heh, heh) Tiki Lion here - not one of them always grinnin' Smilodon sabre tooth kitty-cats!
You makin' me nervous...

Tiki Lion not much into fighting Grog.
How about a Mai Tai instead?

Yes, I had to keep from droolin' all over the book. It's truly amazing. I'm so there for the book signing.

Sven sharing his treasure with JonPaul.

Grog got his hands on the book and gave it the thumbs up.

I wrestled it away from him.

V

Sven, I hope you'll do a Taschen store tour, and come to the one in Paris ??

Do you know if the european will have the book at the same time as in the US ?

Nic, I don't think that is in the cards. Looks like I will have a book launch at their new store in LA, and a Swiss friend of mine organized a couple of dates in Germany and Switzerland end of September to promote his stores and website. Taschen is too frugal to invest anything in book tours. Even for LA, Mr B's directive was " come up with a great concept on lowest budget"....How about a great budget for a low concept !? :D

But I can't really complain, they put it all into the book, and there is nobody else that gives that much book, and with that kind of distribution. Book tours unfortunately don't really make their expenses back for the publisher.

P.S.: I do think it'll be in the stores around the same time in Europe than in the US, beginning to middle of September

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-08-14 09:01 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies