Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Tony in the News

Pages: 1 15 replies

Congratulations to Tiki Tony, for the very nice article about him in the Ventura County Star newspaper.

It is good to see a positive headline: "Craving Out His Craft: Camarillo man makes, teaches, respects art of tikis" and not one mention of the word 'kitsch' or 'freaky'

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2007/aug/16/carving/

Congrats Tony... on the article and the new job! Your talent will inspire plenty of young minds!

Reading the article, I kinda tripped out on a sentence...

"Personally, he credits his former middle school art teacher, Dave Hansen, for inspiring him to teach others."

That makes 2 Dave Hansen's that you know!

Great article Tony!!!

I absolutely love your unique twist on the Tiki art world!

Congratulations and keep up the good work!!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

There are a lot of parallels in the paths that Tony and me are on, but it just seem like Tony is on an accelerated one. I have to say that my favorite thing about Tony is all the recycling going on.

Congrats Tony!!

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2007-08-16 18:23 ]

Nice article...You da man, Tony! Congragulations.

I

The video accompanying the article is pretty cool too.

Middle school? There is no higher calling. A hip, talented, surfing, nice, Jr. High art teacher? We should all have been so lucky. This is a proud day for TC. Good job!

Tony! This is awesome. Great article and congratulations!

Congrats tOny & ALeNe on a great article! very nice write up indeed. Always best wishes! HiPhiPaHulA!!

Wow! That was a grate VCS article I had no idea there is a local Tiki artist.

Very nice article indeed. So great to know tiki art will be taught in school by a true tiki lover. Way to go!!!

TL

Man! Talk about finding your bliss and following it!

Great article Tony; Congratulations on that and the academic career.

Keep honest though: ya gotta continue with the chop-chop an' stuff to teach what you practice...
Besides, it's good art.

I was really glad to meet you this weekend.
However: when I called your car a french-fry car I had no idea it ran on used tempura diesel and sushi oil (?); please accept my apologies.
Clearly an entirely superior grade of grease.

Hey friends, thanks so much for the kind words. I will definitelly be continuing with my work while teaching, but probably mostly paintings and mugs!

Lake Surfer... that is crazy, I didn't realize your last name was Hansen!

I was a little nervous with the video camera and two reporters on me, so sorry for the word "like" about a hundred times on the video.

It was all shot in Bongofury's Rincon Room and backyard Polynesia for anyone wondering. His yard is more attractive than my driftwood studio and carving area, so I knew it would make for a great setting.

aLoHa

Accolades that couldn't happen to a nicer guy... :D Keep on keepin' on tOny! :D

Rock on Tony!

Pages: 1 15 replies