Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Day !

Pages: 1 19 replies

I propose a national Holiday called Tiki Day. Among our knowlegeable members, I'm sure we can pick an important date in Tiki history and create another "fun" holiday, in the Pagan sense, like Halloween.
A time of year to surprise a friend or loved one with a Tiki Gift. We just need an occasion.
The day of the discovery of the Moai? Thor Heyerdahls Birthday?
Humuhumu's birthday?

I don't know about everyone else, but EVERYDAY is Tiki Day for me! :)

PTD

T

On 2007-08-21 09:36, HelloTiki wrote:
I'm sure we can pick an important date in Tiki history

The day of the discovery of the Moai?
Humuhumu's birthday?

I believe that the discovery of the Moais is already an important date. Thats why its called Easter Island. And I won't call Humuhumu's birthday an important date in Tiki history (no offense)

But I like the idea of it. MAybe it could be as big as Talk like a Pirate Day. Probably some date surrounding Donn Beach maybe.

D

we already have International Tiki Day since 2003, the Second Saturday of August.

I seem to be the last old timer that still hangs around here, and so I have to mention that this idea has been actively brought to fruition by the first generation of TCers already, once a bunch of lively characters from down in OC, like Bong, Baxdog, Sabu and Polynesian Pop, who unfortunately have faded away from this board in recent years:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1655&forum=1

I do miss them...-sniff-
Since they do not seem to be inspired to keep it up anymore, though, why not make a new one? :)

...well, well! There are some here who remember, Elicia was a little faster, more succinct, I would say :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-08-21 10:02 ]

I have hours video of the first and second international tiki days..... and it is some of the best footage I have.

They were fantastic parties......

2nd Saturday of August sounds great.
Did you say 2nd Saturday?
It was on the 11th?!
Crap. I missed it.

We need a reminder next year. I'm fairly new here.

[ Edited by: HelloTiki 2007-08-21 10:39 ]

On 2007-08-21 09:59, Monkeyman wrote:
I have hours video of the first and second international tiki days..... and it is some of the best footage I have.

MM, could you post the video? I'd love to see some of that.

On 2007-08-21 10:36, HelloTiki wrote:
2nd Saturday of August sounds great.
Did you say 2nd Saturday?
It was on the 11th?!
Crap. I missed it.

We need a reminder next year. I'm fairly new here.

[ Edited by: HelloTiki 2007-08-21 10:39 ]

How bout' someone makes a Tiki Callendar!?!

What's the hold up!!

H

Why do I feel like I am reading a Sci-Fi book where the Second Generation Tiki Newbies will be watching a video showing The First generation Tiki Borg and see what it was really like in the olden days....

Dang...I missed it too!!! We do indeed need to maintain the dedication to this event on an annual basis..keep the tiki torches burning. Swanky did a Google calendar. The calendar is really important for vendors, shop-aholics, drunks and the like, plus is a good reminder of historical (or in some cases hysterical) tiki events.

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-08-21 21:54 ]

over on http://www.surfguitar101.com there is a calander.
and it is a php based forum, or whatever just like TC is.

here is what it looks like.
http://www.surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=GCalendar

the forum users, weather bands or fans can post info/events there.
maybe someone can suggest to Hanford to work on this.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

SWEETMOTHEROFGOD.. USE THE &%#$@! SEARCH FEATURE!!!!!

swanky has a calendar

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 15:47 ]

On 2007-08-21 22:26, dogbytes wrote:
SWEETMOTHEROFGOD.. USE THE &%#$@! SEARCH FEATURE!!!!!

swanky has a calendar

You don't get my jokes by now???

On 2007-08-21 23:53, RevBambooBen wrote:
You don't get my jokes by now???

i was spazzing at btd.

D

On 2007-08-21 23:36, filslash wrote:

Double dawg dare responded.

This is great stuff. Perhaps Hellotiki did not bother to search, but I feel Bong's contribution to this forum is underrated.

I miss Kevin Bullat, aka "TikiBong" and ITD is a very important day to me. Much more than September 19th's "International Speak like a Pirate day."

I miss the contributions of many including (but not excluding) Sabu the Coconut Boy, Purple Jade, Rodeotiki, Dr.Z, Laney (eel,) Emspace, Fartsatune, Tikiguy...

I could list many more. Where is it them are visiting online NOW? You still see and party with them on occasion.

Did they change, or did we? Is it Balihaijinks splintering the tribe?

Every situation is different but I feel loss. Nothing about the new members (and I appreaciate your contributions.) It's the way of the world, in the same way old tiki gets demolished without a sense of history.

What can be done to bring them members ALL back to the fold?

What finds did they get in the last month? What new info do they know? Why are they just lurking? Is it me? If so, I am sorry.

I perfer a solution, perhaps even amnesty for the banned and the disenfranchised.

What can be done?

I come here because I like US in general. YOU are the people whose company I seem to enjoy. You are detectives, historians, collectors, and much more. I find this forum stimulating or I would not return.

When I get to actually meet you, I (almost) always count you among my real friends. (OK. I will never be friends with the Lanaikai aka the "The Tikitrader." I don't like ripoff artists.)

We are the sharps, and most people will never understand our passion.

Again, what can be done to bring more old members (and new people) under the umbrella, not less?

What can be done here is amazing and I do not wish to squander the opportunity.

I will take your comments off the air...

heh.

Hi Fil ~ I loved your post! It was very sweet and touching and I agreed with it all. I don't know what the answer is to bring folks back to TC, I hardly ever post anymore either. Not for lack of interest in tiki, but my focus isn't as intense as it once was. With a new baby on the way you tend to rearrange your lifes priorities. But I do check in a couple of times a day still. I don't think I'll ever be completely rid of TC not unless I get locked out myself, which may happen, you never know. I miss all the old TC clans (the folks you did mentioned and all the ones you didn't) contributions to TC too, very, very much. They brought, and gave so much to this forum that you can't help but notice how much the place has changed since they left. But what are you gonna do, it is how it is. All in all I agree with you and think it was wonderful you had the nerve to bring the topic up. Take care and I hope all is well with you ~ DawnTiki

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2007-08-22 06:27 ]

T

How bout' someone makes a Tiki Callendar!?! -BB

Hey, what if some of your favorite calendars like say the vintage hula ones, or the Mai Kai one, what if we write to them to add it to their calendars. Could only improve them.

I feel Bong's contribution to this forum is underrated. -F
(Hate that picture you keep posting but you already know that) But why not bring Bong back (if he wants back). The reasons for him having to leave would pale to the wants of him back. If it was because of one or two people, they are probably not even around today, and we could probably find that if we made a list of people that would have him back there would be plenty. A petition. If he was angry at the time, probably wouldn't be the case now. But Bong should still be at the events and involved with tiki in other ways, if he still wanted to be.

Hey where is the creator of :shecky: I don't think she has even posted once since before the second Munktiki mug contest.

T

JUMBO975SHRIMP!

On 2007-08-21 23:36, filslash wrote:

Double dawg dare responded.

This is great stuff. Perhaps Hellotiki did not bother to search, but I feel Bong's contribution to this forum is underrated.

I miss Kevin Bullat, aka "TikiBong" and ITD is a very important day to me. Much more than September 19th's "International Speak like a Pirate day."

I miss the contributions of many including (but not excluding) Sabu the Coconut Boy, Purple Jade, Rodeotiki, Dr.Z, Laney (eel,) Emspace, Fartsatune, Tikiguy...

I could list many more. Where is it them are visiting online NOW? You still see and party with them on occasion.

Did they change, or did we? Is it Balihaijinks splintering the tribe?

Every situation is different but I feel loss. Nothing about the new members (and I appreaciate your contributions.) It's the way of the world, in the same way old tiki gets demolished without a sense of history.

What can be done to bring them members ALL back to the fold?

What finds did they get in the last month? What new info do they know? Why are they just lurking? Is it me? If so, I am sorry.

I perfer a solution, perhaps even amnesty for the banned and the disenfranchised.

What can be done?

I come here because I like US in general. YOU are the people whose company I seem to enjoy. You are detectives, historians, collectors, and much more. I find this forum stimulating or I would not return.

When I get to actually meet you, I (almost) always count you among my real friends. (OK. I will never be friends with "The Tikitrader." I don't like ripoff artists.)

We are the sharps, and most people will never understand our passion.

Again, what can be done to bring more old members (and new people) under the umbrella, not less?

What can be done here is amazing and I do not wish to squander the opportunity.

I will take your comments off the air...

heh.

peace,
fil/

[ Edited by: filslash 2007-08-22 10:24 ]

Pages: 1 19 replies