Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hanalei in it's Heyday Photos... New Pics Added! 8/24/07

Pages: 1 17 replies

Aloha!

Inspired by Bosko's all too brief symposium of cool SD Architecture at T.O. 7, I just tried searching for old pictures of The Hanalei pre-destruction/Red Lion/Crown Plaza, but came up with alot of red x's.

Could all you great collectors of images please post some? I'm dying to see the great old building, the interior waterways in the lobby, and especially all the tikis that came from the Luau!

Mahaloz!

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2007-08-23 23:33 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2007-08-23 23:34 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2007-08-24 13:35 ]

Come on, now....

No hoarding photos! :)

You saw the ones about 1/2 way down the page in the "gutted" thread, yes?

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21689&forum=1&start=75&hilite=gutted

It looked like this guy in the hall was gone this year.

Hey Lee there is a post here somewhere that had Hanalei/Islands photos, Sven posted alot of great shots in there, I used one of them in my talk.

Bosko

Bosko, Haole kuddl muddl posted that threat above. Buzzy, that OA "I gotta pee" Tiki is now precariously perched on a ledge inside the skylight of the restaurant, above that godugly contemporary chandelier that replaced the fishnet floats...sittin' there for nobody to see!

I posted a lot of my pics in the above thread, but here are some more.
(Note the Chinese red doors in the back left, which are still there, now leading to the coffee bar):

The above photo really shows the river that flowed from the entrance waterfall (which is the only thing still there of the original installation, [including a Luau Ku Tiki]) all the way to the other side of the restaurant, which also had a Tridacna clam waterfall. This lava rock river bed surrounded the center of the restaurant and was crossed by several bridges, of which now only the Tiki railing posts are left.

The railing posts were stock OA items, but these ones almost certainly came from the Luau. We can see them in the postcard below:

But what else do we find at the Luau? When zooming into the back wall on the right, A.) the spear fence, which ended up under the entrance A-frame of the Islands (see above link) , and B.) this yellow Tiki, which I am certain we all know and love....now folks, get involved, WHERE is that one at the Hanalei, and who will post a picture of it in situ? :)

It based on New Ireland Uli figures such as this one:

I have not yet found the specific carving that the Luau one was based on...

A

A couple pics for bigbro's comments...

Here's the "gotta pee" tiki on its current perch in the Islands restaurant, which we only spotted due to a strategic breakfast seating on Sunday.

Here's the yellow Luau tiki "in situ", with an admirer elevated to a viewing position on the left.

-Randy

T'anks Ohana! I've seen those "gutted" thread pics before and I love 'em! Well, the old ones... you know what I mean. The new pics from BigBro are great; mahaloz!

I took a bunch of shots of "stuff" around the interior of the restaraunt last year, and since I don't see any of 'em have ever been posted before, here ya are...

First is/was the main dining room:

There was also a "private party" room that had a bunch of fun stuff in it, alot of which was from Oceanic Arts, and an AWESOME carved ceiling. Here's just a few shots of many that I took:

And lastly, our old pal Mr. PNG Tiki survived the onslaught, but alas, his two pals on the wall did not. At least, I couldn't find 'em this year...

Well, there ya go! Tons of wonderful stuff that is "M.I.A". I know that, according to the "gutted thread", that it's all supposed to be in "storage". But I was witness to the destruction of "Taboo Cove" out here in Vegas, and like "Taboo Cove", I just KNOW that alot of decor went home with the employees. How can I be so sure, you ask? Well, it helps to have a wife that speaks Spanish so you can talk to the Gardeners about what REALLY went on during demolition of The Islands...

So, anymore shots of Luau tiki's and stuff that made it down to the Hanalei? I noticed the remains of the spear wall ended up on a gate just outside the East entrance to lobby building. And naturally, people had broken off several pieces of it. Sad.

A
Al-ii posted on Fri, Aug 24, 2007 3:03 PM

I know this thread is for old pics of the Islands Resturaunt.

But when I see them it just makes me sad.
I am so glad that I got to eat there one time last year.
I just had that feeling that I needed to do it, before it was gone.
glad I did, and glad there are pics of how it used to be.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff,

This thread is for comments too, brah. Everyone's comments are welcome here!

8T

Lee, I thought I'd add this postcard I just found to your thread. 8FT

Although it's not as neat as the actual photos taken from this angle, the artists rendering is impressive too.

N
nuKKe posted on Mon, Jan 5, 2009 1:16 AM

My first Tiki-find is a Hanalei postcard, which Kick_the_Reverb posted here.

found one...

...was reminded of this:

Thanx for bumping this thread Sven...looking back at these old pics of the place I'd never seen before...what an abomination that a place as well kept as this was remodeled. Really incredible, this place was.

HT

Indeed. We were there for the first time last year, and I kept running around comparing what I remembered from the BOT to what was still there.

At least it's not all gone.

Pages: 1 17 replies