Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

A moment of silence for our astronauts

Pages: 1 7 replies

C

I'm saddened this morning. A prayer and a drink in memory of these brave people. I know all you guys born in the 60's all wanted to be astonaut's instead of cowboys.

On 2003-02-01 08:46, Caber-Net wrote:
I'm saddened this morning. A prayer and a drink in memory of these brave people. I know all you guys born in the 60's all wanted to be astonaut's instead of cowboys.

Not only did I want to be an astronaut, My uncle worked on the Apollo Program. His uniform missions patches hang in my bedroom.

And nothing beat the nightime launch of Apollo 17 for pure impact.

Drink raised in memory to those lucky and brave enough to tread among the stars.

TG

D

i am a girl, and "couldnt be an astronaut" (cough)..so the next best thing was to train my youngest brother be one.

to do this, we convinced Stephen (the kid who put Campbell Soup Cans on his arms as a space suit) that he had to withstand G Forces. secret training could begin after mom and dad left the house. Doug and I put him into the dryer and turned it on.

after much screaming.. we let him out..and swore him to secrecy..

he told mom and dad before they even got out of the garage. ratfink. he never was an astronaut, but he did turn into an engineer.

T

Sadly, today we experienced what will become another one of those "Where were you when...." days in our Nation's history. Our thoughts and our prayers go out to the astronauts' families and friends, and those at NASA who are left with the most unpleasant task of re-living this day over and over again for months, maybe years.

The tragedy will continue to live on here in Texas as clean-up and salvage efforts continue.

In the immortal words of Charles Dickens' Tiny Tim, "God bless us, each and every one."

Dude, you're gettin' a Tiki!

[ Edited by: TikiMikey on 2003-02-01 17:58 ]

Had a friend visiting from Texas over this evening. He had spoken to folks back home earlier this afternoon to hear of fragments of the craft being found. We hoisted our mai-tais and said a prayer for those most deeply connected. The mai-tais, of course, will not continue very far into the Work-Week. The Prayers, though, will continue forever.

L
laney posted on Sun, Feb 2, 2003 4:27 AM

As a Mother, I had to turn the TV off after hearing the proud Mother of one of the astronauts say it was her son's dream to be in space and he died with honor fulfilling his life's dream. She thought of him every moment he was gone and she seemed more proud and strong than hurt, like she knew he was happy. Really makes you think about what you're doing with your life, huh?

[ Edited by: laney on 2003-02-02 04:30 ]

7TiKiS posted on Sun, Feb 2, 2003 7:26 AM

So sad...
I spent 21 years at KSC, yesterday was a bad, bad day. Sometimes I wonder if the risk is worth the benefit.

TT

I've always had good luck with the number 13, just like the Apollo13 astronauts did.... Whew! But wasn't that a close call? They should have skipped from Apollo 12 right to 14, just like they do with building floors. I never wanted to be an astronaut. Claustrophobia loves me, besides, HIGH school in the 70's got me spaced enough.....

Pages: 1 7 replies