Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Would you call this a Tiki?

Pages: 1 9 replies

Aloha,

Trying to find out if someone has seen this style of carving. It has been suggested that this may be a tiki done in more of a modern style. Any help would be great.

After reading the subject line and seeing the picture without reading the body, the first thing I thought was post-modern. Could be 70s post modern. Could be 90s post modern.

Looks good. I like it.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Aug 30, 2007 7:57 PM

It's based on a traditional Hawaiian tiki - someone with the Hawaiian Sculpture book might be able to chime in with the name. I like it!

It's either post Poly-Hip Hop Pop or...

Hawaiian based Aumakua?

That would make it pre-Modern Poly Pop?

I need a soda pop
Buzzy Out!

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Aug 30, 2007 8:06 PM

I need that book!

I need that tiki brain power....but doubt if I will ever get it. :(

I really like that carving too. For some reason it reminds me of those big robot-beings on the Sixth Sense....OK just slightly in looks but a lot in attitude. Did I say that out loud?

Great modernist piece! My guess is that it is not Poly pop, but a "modern art" interpretation by a Hawaiian carver.

Buzzy, what IS the title of that book? I love the old fashioned double exposure photos, and the very dramatic old style of lighting!

Thanks for checking this out. The collective knowledge on TC is amazing. Those photos are great. This was found here in the Mid-West in an antique store for $45. The lady in the store was more than happy to get rid of it since it had fallen on her foot once. I'll let the owner know.

Great Find for that price!

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Aug 31, 2007 1:33 PM

On 2007-08-30 21:59, bigbrotiki wrote:

Buzzy, what IS the title of that book? I love the old fashioned double exposure photos, and the very dramatic old style of lighting!

On 2007-08-30 19:57, Paipo wrote:
It's based on a traditional Hawaiian tiki - someone with the Hawaiian Sculpture book might be able to chime in with the name. I like it!

:)

Pages: 1 9 replies