Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Hinky Drinks will be pouring Sat. 9/22 11am (Oakland)

Pages: 1 31 replies

Aloha!

TofuJoe and I are giving all our out-of-town Ohana a little extra incentive to come up to the Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale (on Sunday Sept. 23) by hosting a party at Lund Manor on Saturday Sept. 22, starting at 11am. Come up early and make a whole weekend out of it!!

We'll have an evite up soon. PM if you'd like to be included.

Here are photos of the fin time we had earlier this year at TikiBocce(tm) II.

Mahalo!

~T

We have just booked a room at the Marina Village Inn for Saturday night in anticipation of a fun weekend starting at the Lund's and finishing it off at the Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale. Thayer and I will be sharing a table at FI!!! Maybe this year I can find a partner for the big bocce tournament. :wink:

Anyone else staying in Alameda for the weekend? After spending a night at the Days Inn in June (okay place but not great), we decided to try another inn in Alameda, and opted for a view and a little more plushness. Hopefully I will make lots of money at the Parking Lot sale so I can cover my expenses!!

See you soon, Thayer and Scott!!

Myke

S

Yay!

J

Yipee!
Hey Myke, if Midnite doesn't show, I'd happily be your bocce partner!

CL

We'll be in Nevada City on Friday. Same day birthday celebration (Bill and his mom)...so we'll be getting out of there as soon as possible on Saturday and hopefully catching the mid to tail end of the festivities. :)

Cool, JT! You're on! Isn't Midnight supposed to be moving someplace that weekend?? :wink:

MT

Donde esta Il Papa, Ray? Donde esta Il Papa?

CL

Si, dove è il papa? Dove sono Midnites??? Sono nella California? Si sono mossi? Speriamo non! Speriamo non! Opinione non è così, Joe!

Chiamata del Midnites! Ciao fuori là!
Chiamata del Midnites! Ciao fuori là!

Hey TikiWineBear.....Panda, KimtheCanuck and myself are also staying on the beautiful island of Alameda at the Marina Village Inn on Saturday night too. Should be a fun tiki-filled weekend!!!

ROOM CRAWL at the Marina Village Inn on that Saturday night!!! :D See you all in a week (if not sooner).........

Myke

I don't have to Bocce it up do I? I'd prefer to just sit in a chair and yell at people, I'm good at that. :)

No worries, we have lots of chairs. You can sidle up to the bar, grab a refreshing beverage, take a seat and go at it...

Sono in modo da eccitato! Mi sono sentito che il Midnites sta andando essere là!!

Translation: I'm so excited! Rumor has it that the Midnites will be there! :D

J

Yay! I love the Midnites! Unfortunately, he will have to find another bocce partner as my BFF will be in town and wants to play.

Bocce at last! Who needs a partner?

So, I was thinking if anyone wanted to preview the vintage clothes I have for the FI Parking Lot sale, they can check them out whilst at Lund Manor. Just ask about 'em. :)

Mahalo!

J

Hey Gang! Looks like I'll need a bocce partner after all. My friend has family issues to deal with and will be unable to attend any of the festivities this weekend :cry:

M

Donde esta Il Papa, Ray? Donde esta Il Papa?

Like the Pygmies tribes in darkest Congo I am the last to know...and the first to forget. I'd pay better attention but the shiny things always distract me.

Quicksand? Si. Blue drinks? No!

Security,
midnite

On 2007-09-20 10:56, midnite_tiki wrote:

I'd pay better attention but the shiny things always distract me.

Shiny things like this?

...edited for spelling error...

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2007-09-20 15:31 ]

MT

No, more like his shirt.

Have a favor to ask:

Is there anyone who's coming to our place on Saturday and then the FI sale on Sunday that would have room in/on their vehicle to transport a card and a banquet table? PM me, if you have the ability to do so.

Mahalo!

S

If this is my behalf, I have a car so it's okay!

I'll pm you!

Suzanne

M

Throughout our shared history of sports competition there are teams of legend. Powerful, dominating, awe-inspiring assemblages of talent and skill. Teams so overwhelming and successful they make up the fabric of sporting lore. These teams live on in the pantheon of athletic glory like no others:

1927 New York Yankees
1995 Chicago Bulls
1984 USA Basketball
1972 Miami Dolphins

And now, a new team knocks on the door of immortality. Two seasoned warriors have joined together and formed a powerhouse duo of bombastic bocce brilliance. They will take on all comers and spare none in a no-holds barred display of rolling expertise. Mai Tai and midnite are:

Team Quicksand

Served!
midnite

mahalo to my ohana that braved the weather to frolic on our little patch of land!

Only took a couple of photos

...anyone else?

Sorry I missed your event...looks like you all have fun!!! :)

M

Good times, good times.

Fine food, swell company, and excellent beverages. Hinky Drinks knows how to pour some superb libations.

In a stunning upset, Team Quicksand was defeated in the finals by a band of heretofore unknown bocce players. In a suspense-filled, slightly damp, raucous exposition of clutch bocce rolls, those fine reasonably young cannibals took down the mighty Q, 5-4. Once again, the Quicksand boys are relegated to bridesmaid status. This keeps up and Avis will be our new sponsor.

We'll be back, bigger...stronger...better medicated. No one puts Quicksand in the corner!

midnite

S

Mahalo for such a fabulous party! I took heaps of photos and promise to post them sometime this week.

Off to class!

Suzanne

MA

Mahalo to Hinky Drinks!!!! I am still in awe of the amazing set up of that backyard. It's the best backyard I have ever seen in Oakland. Great drinks, delicious food, super-friendly people, and BOCCE!!!! Oh I almost forgot, Tom Jones over the speakers and other cool tunes.

I too have to agree with Midnite that the bocce playing by the Cannibals was for want of a better term, unbelievable. I still don't believe that the Cannibals won and I'm one of them. I should mention that great sportsmanship during the games as well as after was demonstrated by Team Quicksand and the other teams. The bottomline...it was a lot of fun.

Brian (still in search of a cool tiki name)

S

I just posted a lot of photos in the FI Parking Lot Sale thread. Check them out!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25221&forum=17&start=45&59

Suzanne

The Diva Pinup Exquisite Hair Flower Accessories - http://www.thedivapinup.com

[ Edited by: suzanne 2007-09-27 20:59 ]

The Nui Nuts were not victorious this time -- this West Coast sand rolls fast! But we'll be back, with some new and delicious homemade liquer!

S

Huzzah to that!

Suzanne

S

On 2007-09-28 15:33, RikiTikiTavi wrote:
The Nui Nuts were not victorious this time -- this West Coast sand rolls fast! But we'll be back, with some new and delicious homemade liquer!

I didn't even get to play bocce this time : ( On the way over Brian insisted he didn't want to play cuz he/we are so bad at it. It must have been the magic of the Voodoo Priestess and beginners luck that lead to the surprising upset!

I just want to add my appreciation and thanks to our wonderful hosts for sharing their amazing backyard and yummy libations. I had a great time and loved meeting you all.

Are/will recipes be available for the homemade liquer? And any other food/drink recipes? I've already got the Voodoo Priestess from SF gate
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/27/WIG3TLV2J11.DTL&hw=voodoo+priestess&sn=002&sc=902

Ironically, I had just looked it up week or two before the party, the cold weather reminded me of it from last year's FI drink specials, I'd bought the ingredients, but hadn't gotten around to making it.

In case anyone wants it, here's the recipe for the Black Bean Corn salad I made (I doubled the recipe for the party)

Black Bean & Corn Salad
3 cups black beans (or 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed & drained)
1 15-ounce bag or can of yellow corn (or 2-3 ears) ( if frozen defrost or cook the corn)
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup salsa verde

Put everything in a bowl and stir. Add more salsa verde as needed.

[ Edited by: Sgirl 2007-09-29 13:01 ]

Pages: 1 31 replies