Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

What exotica covers would you want to hear WAITIKI play?

Pages: 1 15 replies

MH
Mr. Ho posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2007 6:23 PM

Okonkuluku folks!

Just curious, what types of covers would you ask WAITIKI to play if you could pick anything? Obviously, we're talking about stuff in the exotica/tiki vain primarily (or tunes you'd like us to adapt to that style). Ideally, you'd keep in mind we are a quartet so doing entire les baxter pieces etc. requires arrangement (not out of the question but aside from the special Orchestrotica, we only have 4 folks on stage!)

Quiet Village
Taboo
Caravan
Poinciana
Bali Ha'i
Yellow Bird
Misirlou
Pearly Shells
Jungle Drums
Beyond the Reef
Pagan Love Song
Eden's Island
The Enchanted Sea
Similau
Hawaiian Eye
Baia
Exotica
Tiki
Firecracker
Chant of the Moon
Voodoo
Enchantment
Jungle Fantasy
The Hukilau Song
Aloha Oe

J

While this is not Exotica but it will pass for lounge a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away. What I'm talking about is the Cantina Band songs! The second one was always my favorite but either would do nicely. Maybe you could get a Wookie to dance to it? I hear they're cheaper than Pandas.

One from the Exotica genre: The Left Arm of Buddha

F

Diga Diga Doo! One of my favorite Martin Denny songs. I love how it starts so oddly and mysteriously and then eventually breaks into a swing song. You guys could really do it justice. :drink:

B

Play freebird man!!!

lol

Seriously, I think you guys would rock Caravan, although its a little overplayed (it seems to be on every 3rd exotica album I have)...and almost anything from Drasnin's Voodoo....and Lyman's Hawaiian Sunset.

I also think The Wizard by Black Sabbath would be pretty cool with woodwinds & vibes. Think about it.

How about Latin/Exotica type versions of Kraftwerk songs ala/Senior Coconut!! :)

Cheers,
Jeff

K
Kenike posted on Fri, Sep 7, 2007 5:06 PM

I've always loved "Bangkok Cock Fight", both the Gene Rains & Martin Denny versions. I can picture Waitiki tearing that one up!

Jeff you sicko! You have to be German to be able to do that, anyway!
I would like to see you play around with the Primitiva cover. Wait, I am thinking visuals again, -sorry!

No really...how about the OTHER multi covered classic, "Adventures In Paradise", soundtrack to the same named Tiki TV show from the 60s?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-09-07 19:08 ]

W

The Brady Bunch Theme... C'mon Greg,hook up with Marsha and lay it down.
Aloha to the boys in the band for me...
Joe/Haole kats

G

Koko Head from Milt Raskin's KAPU (Forbidden). Great percussion in that.
Myna Bird, Eden Ahbez.
Ritual of the Torch, Frank Hunter.
And I'll second the request for Hawaiian Eye.

Play those and I'll be your friend for life.

MH
Mr. Ho posted on Sun, Sep 9, 2007 6:41 PM

Lol, man, some of you really need to come hear a show sometime ..... we already do a whole bunch of these tings! Tiki, Adventures in Paradise, Voodoo , Firecrackers, etc etc :wink: But it was great to see some new suggestions on there. the transcription list is already pretty long in our heads - mahalo for the ideas!

Great suggestions so far. I am fond of that Latin rhythm too, so will add my two favorite songs "Brazil" & "Girl from Ipanema" (of course anything by Martin & Les is wonderful in my book). :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0liP9Ghe6Y (a nice rendition)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmV0TcTNJ3o (ahhh...so nice)

G

There's this obscure little ditty called "Pineapple Lilt". Not sure if you've heard of it. Something about Barrels and Skulls and whatnot. The dude on carinet is aces. Okay, well, the vibes player ain't too bad either...

:P

MH

oh vampiressnessesnnesesen....you hit my weak spot with those vids! MAn, i love brazil. i even speak portuguese! i've been down there three times...the first time was to study percussion in Salvador da Bahia...most recently a year and a half ago to the south - Florianopolis - for a friend's wedding. The traditions down there are intense - such a wonderful and exotic collection of people, music, and haha - wahine of course :wink: If you listen, there are little brazilian blurbs throughout waitiki - the berimbau on Tiki, the pandeiro and non-cha-cha bossa groove on Manila...hoping to work some maracatu' into some upcoming tunes. I just gave a tambourine and percussion workshop to a bunch of high school kids and tried to explain to them why the pandeiro (brazilian tambourine) is my favorite instrument. i think they probably thought i was wack.

they were right!

S

I never get to see you kids play live, and this is a standard and not Exotica, but one of my all time favorites is Autumn in New York. I'd love to hear you play that. :)

Mr. Ho, the first time I heard your new CD I got all excited when I heard the berimbau at the beginning of Tiki! I don't know a lot about Brazilian music, but you can't miss that. That track is really hands down fabulous in every way though. It's a gem.

IZ

I've been playing (over and over again) Don Tiare's "The Music of Les Baxter." And this morning driving in to work I remembered this post, so I've got two suggestions:

Girl Behind the Bamboo Curtain

and

River of Dreams

Both are amazing tracks.

glen
http://www.jetsetplanet.com

Pages: 1 15 replies