Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

tikiyaki orchestra live debut !!!! - nov 2nd

Pages: 1 9 replies

T

Yes, you read that right.

The debut performance of the Tikiyaki Orchestra.

Nick from Tiki Magazine was kind enough to help us make our first live performance a special one, by adding us to the TIKI MAGAZINE "TIKI ISLAND AT THE BALI HAI" art show, November 2nd at the Bali Hai in San Diego.

Naturally everyone in the orchestra is excited to be part of this event, with so many great artists, including our main man Brad parker, who did the artwork for the cover of "StereoExotique". Brad will be there in person, as well, so this is a big deal for us.

Our lineup :

Me (Jim Bacchi) : Guitar, Organ etc
Squid : Drums and percussion
Mark Riddle (aka DIGITIKI) : Keyboards
John Best ( aka : JohnVibes) : VIBRAPHONE
Robin SanJose (aka slapbass) : Double Bass
Chooch : Bongos, Percussion
DEL REY : Lap Steel Guitar
Keith : Bongos, Percussion

We look forward to seeing everyone there and celebrating our live debut.

http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com
http://www.tikiyaki.wordpress.com
http://www.cuefactory.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-09-05 20:26 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-09-05 20:27 ]

C

YES!!!!!!!!! This is the kinda newz that makes me go BUZZZZZZZZZZ!

very very radical!

Chongolio

Thats great news, I was gonna suggest that but.......
I thought that Martini Kings were playing.

is it going to be both bands?

not that I don't want to see you guys.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I think its the Smokin Menehunes isnt' it?

T

As far as I know, it's the Smokin Menehunes and the Tikiyaki Orchestra.

I'm hoping to Hook up with the Martini Kings for future shows....if they'll have us :)

my bad, it is the Smokin Menahunes

that'll be a great pairing,

to see the Marinti Kings go to Sven;s book release party at Farmers Market in LA tonight 6 to 8 pm.

Im out the door soon,.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TM

It will be an awesome night indeed, and I am looking forward to it! I have been chomping at the bit to see the Tikiyaki orchestra, and now I will get the chance.

How often does a pure exotica band come around, and with so many professional musicians in it? I mean, you got Squid on drums-that's an "E" ticket just by itself. I hope that a lot of tiki central people in socal make it to this show, because as Paris Hilton says, "that's hot!"

People have to support exotica, and especially well done exotica-this is not just some surf/garage/jam band with a few tikis in thier artwork-this is the real deal. (apologies to Bigtikidude-I know you are a surf king!) Not that I don't like surf music, I actually do-but I prefer exotica and Polynesian bands, because I think there are enough surf rock bands out there. This is something different, and unique, and I am wishing them all the success they deserve. Tikiyaki has quite obviously worked very hard on this project, and I think we are all going to be very pleased with the result! Gambatte!!

As for the menehunes, we play pure hawaiian swing from the old days-nothing fancy-I think it will be a really good complimentary sound-

Now if I can just discover who is posting on talkbass in the rockabilly section-slap bass, is that you?

On 2007-09-13 17:49, lucas vigor wrote:
It will be an awesome night indeed, and I am looking forward to it! I have been chomping at the bit to see the Tikiyaki orchestra, and now I will get the chance.

How often does a pure exotica band come around, and with so many professional musicians in it? I mean, you got Squid on drums-that's an "E" ticket just by itself. I hope that a lot of tiki central people in socal make it to this show, because as Paris Hilton says, "that's hot!"

People have to support exotica, and especially well done exotica-this is not just some surf/garage/jam band with a few tikis in thier artwork-this is the real deal. (apologies to Bigtikidude-I know you are a surf king!) Not that I don't like surf music, I actually do-but I prefer exotica and Polynesian bands, because I think there are enough surf rock bands out there. This is something different, and unique, and I am wishing them all the success they deserve. Tikiyaki has quite obviously worked very hard on this project, and I think we are all going to be very pleased with the result! Gambatte!!

As for the menehunes, we play pure hawaiian swing from the old days-nothing fancy-I think it will be a really good complimentary sound-

Now if I can just discover who is posting on talkbass in the rockabilly section-slap bass, is that you?

I'm pretty sure the guy posting on Talkbass is our guy. We were discussing his string setup at rehearsal last week. Flatwound E and A, gut d and g.

He's on here too under the name "slapbass".

I'm looking forward to playing with the menehunes, and many mahalos for the many kind words you've said about the T.O. I quoted you on a poster I did for record stores...hope you don't mind :)

I hope the live version lives up to your expectations. It'll be our first performance, so go easy on us :o

Anyway, this event is gonna be great !

On 2007-09-13 23:52, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2007-09-13 17:49, lucas vigor wrote:

I'm pretty sure the guy posting on Talkbass is our guy. We were discussing his string setup at rehearsal last week. Flatwound E and A, gut d and g.

The profile incriminates him...Long Beach etc....

He's on here too, but I'll let him introduce himself. :)

I'm looking forward to playing with the menehunes, and many mahalos for the many kind words you've said about the T.O. I quoted you on a poster I did for record stores...hope you don't mind :)

I hope the live version lives up to your expectations. It'll be our first performance, so go easy on us :o

Anyway, this event is gonna be great !

This is gonna be one INCREDIBLE time! Smokin Menehunes (with the infamous TikiBong!) and the Tikiyaki Orchestra with SQUID doing the percussion! What a Night to see some GIANTS! (including Doug Horne!) :lol:

Pages: 1 9 replies