Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Looking for Tiki bar ideas...

Pages: 1 21 replies

Hey Gang,

Looking for Tiki bar ideas for a small 8'x12' apartment room. The bar would have to be small, but cozy. I have a nice beginner mug collection, lots of Tiki Farm. Just looking to put the whole room together. Any decor ideas would be great, cheaper the better. I can always upgrade.

Thanks in advance...

Rick

A

Well, you're working with a fairly small space, so obviously you don't want to crowd yourself. Use space wisely and don't over do it with a lot of stuff on the floor. Cover or paint the walls, use masks and pictures, hang stuff from the ceiling in the corners. Is this in a bedroom with big rolling closet doors? If so, remove the doors for more space. Make it your own, make it comfortable, make it a place people want to come back to. Good luck!

Mirrors also make a small space look larger and if you are displaying bottles and such it is a nice affect. Lighter colors keep a small place more open and there are so many great tan grasswallpapers and thatch, that you should be able to get something going with bamboo and such. Do you have an IKEA store where you live...there are lots of storage display options through them.....or Pottery Barn has some nice wall units, and I like Cost Plus too. There are tons of great pictures of personal bars/lounges on this board, just use the search option and you will find lots of neat ideas.

Don't forget to post pictures of your project as you move along. :)

For a Tiki Bar in a small space Inkylouise has a great example with her closet bar.

T

Bogielocks,

Search the threads under "Home Bars" there are numerous examples of what people
with spaces of all sizes have done to create their Tiki space!

Thortiki

TM

It'll fit perfect in the corner of the room (and shameless plug).....

D

Matt do you offer the TC dicount on the bars? (shamelees plug # 2)

To bulid on the closet idea, if you do have the type of closet with the double sliding doors remove the doors as said before and build the bar in the closet. Kinda like a recessed book shelf only bar. you could add a mirror to the "backbar" something that could come down easy(if your renting)to give a feel of depth to the small room and maybe some type of colored lighting to get the mood right. Above all go with what feels right to you.

B

Hey Bogielocks, TikiHula did an outstanding job in an apartment room... check out the Kapili room pics here: http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/main.php/homedecor/ going to his place was like walking into a tiki paradise... walking back out of the room left you wondering if you had just gotten back from a vacation.

Holy Sh*t!!! The Kapili Room rocks.. That's great inspiration...

Not sure if this could be Tiki, or just geeky.. LOL I have one of these in my movie collection... Whatja think?

Rick

TM

On 2007-09-10 14:49, dibroc wrote:
Matt do you offer the TC dicount on the bars? (shamelees plug # 2)

Sure, why not...

On 2007-09-10 23:08, Bogielocks wrote:
Not sure if this could be Tiki, or just geeky.. LOL I have one of these in my movie collection... Whatja think?

Rick

Triolgy of Terror?? Karen Black??? No Sleep???

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-09-11 17:54 ]

oops

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-09-11 18:07 ]

Check out the living room of my 1,100 sq ft home here...you can make it work!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24875&forum=1&vpost=319023&hilite

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and it's not how big it is, it is how you use it)!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-09-11 18:04 ]

Oh yeah...the Zuni would look great...maybe a nice little tapa background so he can blend in. :o

MT
S

On 2007-09-11 17:58, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24875&forum=1&vpost=319023&hilite

Wow! Gorgeous!

[ Edited by: Sgirl 2007-09-11 23:18 ]

accent lighting. Keep it dark with strategically placed colored accent lights.

Thanks gang! Great ideas.

Hey Mai Tai- Ask anyone about the Trilogy movie and all they remember is that piece of the movie, "the doll". Which kind of sucks for my friend, who wrote the other two stories...

Once again, thanks for your help. Keep them coming and I'll keep you posted on my progress. It will never look like the Kapili room, but I'll try. My wtw carpet is a burnt orange sunburst shag. Now, there's a start... LOL

Cheers!

Rick

By best advice might not be popular. NOT displaying your mug collection would be a great way to save space. Everybody has their own ideas about the ideal tiki bar so with in mind, there's really no advice anyone can give you as to what makes the best bar. TO ME, the Mai Kai Molokia Bar would be the ideal. Look around the Mai Kai--see any tiki mugs? Any at all? But if part of your ideal bar is to HAVE a place to display your collection, you obviously want to not only make space for it but feature it. Look at every postcard and bar and home tiki space you can. Figure out what you think is the best features you can actually re-create in your space. Write them down. Make a plan specific plan. You don't have to stick to it but you should have a specific plan of the whole shootin' match before you start. When you go for it, go for it; be bold.

On 2007-09-11 23:17, Sgirl wrote:

On 2007-09-11 17:58, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Wow! Gorgeous!

[ Edited by: Sgirl 2007-09-11 23:18 ]

Why, thank you. Thank you very much!

PTD

Pages: 1 21 replies