Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Forbidden Island NEW Green Tiki Mug Release Party September 12th

Pages: 1 36 replies

M

Aloha!

All good things must come to an end, and so it is with some sadness that we bid a fond farewell to our brown signature tiki mug… Now an instant collectible!

BUT! Much as the spring brings vibrant new life from the musty compost of the fall, our mug is again reborn, in a vibrant and lovely rich shade of “Tiki Farm” green!

So to celebrate, on Wednesday, September 12th starting at 7:00pm we will be releasing our NEW GREEN Signature Tiki Mug to the Public! Be among the first to get you hands on the new glaze and experience it as it was meant to be: with a drink inside!

But first: we’re going to have a little competition: There are a handful of brown mugs left in boxes that will be stacked on the bar. Starting at 7pm- place your drink orders for drinks in a mug (ONE PER CUSTOMER!) and open the box to see if you’ve won the first green mug! Their might be one brown mug left, or twenty. But be there right at 7:00pm for the action!

Winner of the first green mug will win a $25 Forbidden Island Gift Card, the mug, and the drink inside!!! (And no- you can’t fill the mug with 30 year old rum!)

Rules:

-One mug per customer until the green is revealed.
-Mugs must be purchased with a drink (Mugs are $5 extra with a Forbidden Island, $7 extra with any other regular menu drink)
-Sorry, we still don’t ship mugs- they are intended as a souvenir of you visit to FI!

See you Wednesday!!

J

Yay!!! I've been waiting for this ever since I heard (a bit too early for Martiki's tastes) that the green ones were on their way! Do we get to pick which box we want to open from the stack?

S

Are there any photos of the new mug?

Suzanne

It's been a long time since I've paddled over to the island. No wonder why I am so damn thirsty.

M

No- the mug boxes will be in order, all the browns up front, then all the greens. You have to guess when the best time to order the drink is. Is there only one brown mug left? Are there 30 brown mugs? When the green one gets opened, that means brown is gone forever. Worst case scenario: you end up with one of the last ever brown mugs. eBay!

Knowing this crowd, this event should last about 45 seconds.

I have a picture, but I'm not posting it until after the event. If you want to see it first, you've got to come to FI on Wednesday! (Which I know isn't practical, suzanne!)

J

I'm coming tomorrow night, and bringing 7 FI newbies with me! Will that earn me a sneak preview at the mug? :)

S

No, it's not practical Martin. :wink: But can't kill a girl for asking anyway. :D I'll see it the weekend of the sale though!

Suzanne

M

On 2007-09-10 15:56, JenTiki wrote:
I'm coming tomorrow night, and bringing 7 FI newbies with me! Will that earn me a sneak preview at the mug? :)

That's great! But no.

Also, if there's anyone out there who thinks they might know how many brown mugs are left, they'd be mistaken since I found more and some were broken. :wink:

T

Our best detectives have put together a sketch of what they believe the green mug to look like. Remember, this is only a estimate of the true mugs likeness.

H

Martin,

How many of the brown mugs were produced?

M

The brown mugs were produced in a very limited series of 2000.

MT

On 2007-09-10 17:21, martiki wrote:
Also, if there's anyone out there who thinks they might know how many brown mugs are left, they'd be mistaken since I found more and some were broken. :wink:

Gee, I wonder who that comment was directed at? :P

On 2007-09-10 19:21, Mai Tai wrote:

On 2007-09-10 17:21, martiki wrote:

Gee, I wonder who that comment was directed at? :P

When CHUM was in town and played FI I heard mugs breakin' all night long!

Hey Mai Tai, check your PMs

As luck would have it...looks like I can swing by this event for a couple of hours. Will probably get there are 5:30pm and then leave around 8pm (long drive home...work night and all). Trying to see if moondog426 (Ken) can make it too, since I had to bow out of the Mojo event (sorry Ken).

BROWN MUG...BROWN MUG...GREEN MUG!!!!

Since I won NOTHING at the Chongolio event, my mana is strong and I surely will get the first green mug!!! :D See you all tomorrow night. Start without me, since I probably won't arrive until 7:30pm or so.

Aloha!
Myke

T

On 2007-09-11 10:29, tikiwinebear wrote:
Since I won NOTHING at the Chongolio event, my mana is strong

Contest TIme @ The Thor Stor! I'd say that wasn't too shabby

well considering that I haven't been up to FI yet,
I am glad that my Buddy Bill from the Lava Rats got me a Brown FI mug.
as I am not a huge fan of the Green ones, But Dark Green is way better than pastel blue or pink or yellow.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

M

oooo can't wait! I'll be there for sure and I've already got a brown mug so green for me.

S
Sgirl posted on Tue, Sep 11, 2007 6:40 PM

On 2007-09-10 18:32, martiki wrote:
The brown mugs were produced in a very limited series of 2000.

Yikes! This scares me a little. I assumed you had produced and sold many more of these. Now I think my husband and I have had a few too many signature drinks in the mug. We have nearly 1% of these brown ones, many still in their boxes!! My husband insists (and I have to agree) they taste better in the mug. They are his favorite drink at FI. I'm stocking my home bar so I can try to recreate something similar at home for him. And for me, I'd like something with more mint and less sweet, but adore the spice flavors. For now at home we drink water out of our Fi mugs.

Martin, I know the actual recipe is secret and understand that. However, is there any chance you'll share the ingredients sans proportions. I know there is pineapple juice, lime, curacao, rum, spices, mint. Am I missing anything key that you are willing to share?

We look forward to two more FIs with mugs (whatever the color!) tomorrow night.

[ Edited by: Sgirl 2007-09-11 18:46 ]

M

There is no chance I'll share the ingredients.

Keep guessing.

Martin: You Da Man!!!! Sgirl and I will continue to apply our palletes in researching the mysteries of the FI drink. I just love resarch like this. ;>)

S
Sgirl posted on Wed, Sep 12, 2007 4:12 PM

On 2007-09-12 10:09, martiki wrote:
There is no chance I'll share the ingredients.

Sigh...though that's what I expected you to say but you can't blame a girl for trying.

I hope I live long enough to learn the recipe in some future edition of a beachbum book. I can just see me telling my niece stories of our days at FI as we sip homemade drinks out of our brown vintage FI mugs (she's 4 now so I figure by the time she's 21 this might be feasible, lol)

See you tonight.

Got there early with a friend. As always, great service from Thayer...scored 2 brown FI mugs, several Monkeypods and yummy appetizers. Made it home to Sacramento by 9:30pm to recuperate just in time to join my working life again in the morning.

I'll be watching to see who won the first green mug!!!

J

I believe the winner was a non-TC person who didn't even know about the mug contest until Martiki explained it a few minutes after 7:00pm.

We got there at about 7:30 pm and I believe my friend bought the LAST brown mug! LOVE the green! I wish there was a date or a number on them though.

LOL...kinda like the lotto winners that don't show up...come on winners....look lively!!! I'll be back (Arnie's voice) for my green tiki mug. :drink:

I guess my mana wasn't so strong... car troubles kept me away from the Green Mug unveiling last night! Hope you all had fun. See you soon.....

Aloha,
Myke

I was wondering where you were, TWB!

It was really much more interesting than I thought it might be. And to be fair, the person who won was with a couple who are semi-regulars, albiet not TCers. She was absolutely thrilled.

Mahalo to everyone for showing up and participating. You guys made for a fun night.

~T

T

photos taken by Jentiki

Man was I off. Mine looks neon compared to the true color. I was thinking that the color was going to be the color that was used on Emeril Chop mug ( Emerald). But the picture here looks little more matte, more even, more mossy. Very nice color. I think other colors will look great in the future if choose to do so which would be smart. Every year the new color would mark that year and people would want to collect them all. Yellow bricks would be my pick, but a shiny red would remind me of the Chinese restaurant that I saw my first tiki mug in their menu.

On 2007-09-13 10:23, teaKEY wrote:
I think other colors will look great in the future if choose to do so which would be smart. Every year the new color would mark that year and people would want to collect them all. Yellow bricks would be my pick, but a shiny red would remind me of the Chinese restaurant that I saw my first tiki mug in their menu.

Well, you better get in here, then, because we won't get to the next color until these are are sold...

mmmm..... red.....

..like pie...

MT

Did someone say pie? :) Mmmmmmm......... pie!

S
Sgirl posted on Thu, Sep 13, 2007 2:44 PM

On 2007-09-12 10:25, faulknb wrote:
Sgirl and I will continue to apply our palletes in researching the mysteries of the FI drink. I just love resarch like this. ;>)

Research paid off last night. I learnerd two more ingredients for my home FI concoctions. We had fun and really enjoyed our Forbidden Islands last night. They were especially yummy and refreshing. Not as sweet as some I've had. Added a couple green mugs to our collection of brown. Kudos to Martin, Thayer and Jess for a fun time and delicious drinks!

And after reading this, I accept I'll probably never make a homemade FI.
http://www.sanfran.com/archives/view_story/1564/

On 2007-09-13 11:57, Haole'akamai wrote:

I think other colors will look great in the future if choose to do so which would be smart. Every year the new color would mark that year and people would want to collect them all. Yellow bricks would be my pick, but a shiny red would remind me of the Chinese restaurant that I saw my first tiki mug in their menu.

Well, you better get in here, then, because we won't get to the next color until these are are sold...

mmmm..... red.....
..like pie...

If you decide to go with yellow perhaps you might consider a lid. I am currently using one of my brown FI mugs to display an extra Orchids of Hawaii pineapple mug lid.

It doesn't have to be a pineapple lid, maybe a palm root ball or something else, but I think it would be cool and unique to have another covered mug! Blue would ultimately be my favorite.

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am, giving credit where credit is due)!

I smell...

...ROOT-BALL LID RELEASE PARTY!!!!!

On 2007-09-13 15:39, Haole'akamai wrote:
I smell...

...*ROOT-BALL LID RELEASE PARTY!!!!!*  

Have you ever smelled a root ball?

Got my green mug tonight -- woohoo! :D

On 2007-09-13 15:32, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

On 2007-09-13 11:57, Haole'akamai wrote:

mmmm..... red.....
..like pie...

If you decide to go with yellow perhaps you might consider a lid. I am currently using one of my brown FI mugs to display an extra Orchids of Hawaii pineapple mug lid.

It doesn't have to be a pineapple lid, maybe a palm root ball or something else, but I think it would be cool and unique to have another covered mug! Blue would ultimately be my favorite.

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am, giving credit where credit is due)!

God, I really hate quoting myself.

So I was told if I maybe started bugging someone maybe, just maybe we could finally see a new bar mug on the planet (preferably near my house) that would have a lid on it. C'mon, be the first new kid on the block to jump on board and offer a signature mug with a "lid" (in this case, a first, with a "rootball" lid)...I'm willing to pony up the extra cash, as I am sure many, many others would be! PLEASE!

PTD (I said please)!

Pages: 1 36 replies