Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Cars - and one for Hewey

Pages: 1 25 replies

F

Just a thought, what do people drive and are there any Tiki / Surf vehicles out there.
hewey here are my pride and joy
1966 Split Screen Devon Camper

interior shot

And my daily drive, a beast of a 1961 Bug (1641cc) very quick and very loud

Regards
Flynny

Those little V-Dubs were really a blast to drive. Wish more of them were still around.

You need to check out Hotrod Tikis cars, The Tahitiian and The Headhunter

I drive a '73 Ford Pinto, Gold-Green, w/green/white interior. It's mint, 27k mi. for pix, go here: myspace.com/timmayer

Nice :wink:

Love the van....does it do zero to sixty in 2 hours? :)

It looks like it is in good condition though. So many have lower body damage, plus the insides ripped out. Yours looks pretty well equipped and the paint job looks nice...is it the original?

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 10, 2007 9:15 PM

Nice rides mate :D here's a shot of my bug:

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-09-11 03:30 ]

My daily ride is a '02 MINI Cooper S. I also own three operational Checkers, one a 15 passenger Areobus.

Checkers! Marathon or Superba?

The president of Checker was aproached as Studebaker was in it's last days, as they had many orders for the Avante, and hoped that Checker might wish to take over production. The reply from Checker was that the Mgmt would have no part in the construction of such an ugly vehicle.

On 2007-09-11 07:01, Gigantalope wrote:
Checkers! Marathon or Superba?

The president of Checker was aproached as Studebaker was in it's last days, as they had many orders for the Avante, and hoped that Checker might wish to take over production. The reply from Checker was that the Mgmt would have no part in the construction of such an ugly vehicle.

Ha,ha! Ugly?! To some maybe, but not to collectors of tiki! Both of the four doors cars are Marathons A12's. I have them logo'd for my restaurants. I should post some pictures when I remember how.

On 2007-09-10 12:38, flynny wrote:
... what do people drive and are there any Tiki / Surf vehicles out there ...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20804

On 2007-09-10 12:38, flynny wrote:
... what do people drive and are there any Tiki / Surf vehicles out there ...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20804

or here in beyond tiki (this is page 4 as the previous pages lost their pictures):

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=3894&forum=6&start=45

What caught my eye was the double doors on the left side, then I re-looked and saw it's right hand drive! How cool, here in the States, I have never seen a right hand bus, bugs, yes, but not a bus. Had a few VW's in my time, around 35 at last count, all pre 68 until my current Jetta. I think a bus is the ultimate Tiki car. There are so few bugs left here, between Baja bug and dune buggy kits, they got used up. Rust and accidents killed the rest. My 61 bus in this photo had Coco Joe tikis on the dash, Hawaiian print curtains, Coco Joe jeweled eye tiki necklaces on the mirror and that was 1972. I was parked at my secret spot just above County Line, I wish PCH was that empty now...

K

My 54 Ford Customline. I had a pic in the old thread, but it's not showing its face anymore. Here's a more recent pic at last year's Paso Robles show. Boo hoo, no more Paso Robles :(.

TC member (and tight bro) Notch painted it.

And another in Vegas. Boo hoo, no more Shifters car show at the Gold Coast :(.

Custom Tapa Swag Lamps and Sconces Built By Kahaka

[ Edited by: KAHAKA 2007-09-12 17:55 ]

Nice cars all, and that is surely one bitchin' Ford. (and your lamps rock too..we'll talk some day) I am just in the process of reviving my 63 Ford Galaxie. I'll post a pic later, rust and all. Keep 'em coming.

george

On 2007-09-10 15:46, cheekytiki wrote:
You need to check out Hotrod Tikis cars, The Tahitiian and The Headhunter

..."As seen in POCKETIKI Magazine #2!", might have been a good way to have finished that sentence!!! BRITIKI my arse!

And don't even ask about Issue three you young upstart! It's coming...alright? It's coming!

Trader Jim - Make mine a Grumpy Ol' Bastard! Is that a cocktail? Bloody should be!!!

H

Gave the bug a new identity today flynny! :D

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Sep 19, 2007 4:39 AM
H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 19, 2007 9:20 PM

On 2007-09-19 04:39, Paipo wrote:
1953 Polynesian custom car?

Not very Polnesian at all Paipo, unfortuneately...

K

heres my old daily

and my old furniture truck

a bit of my pinstriping second attempt

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Oct 6, 2007 4:53 AM

On 2007-09-19 21:20, hewey wrote:

On 2007-09-19 04:39, Paipo wrote:
1953 Polynesian custom car?

Not very Polnesian at all Paipo, unfortuneately...

I found the actual car from that magazine - still not particularly Polynesian or Tiki, but it would still look nice parked outside a tiki lounge. The mag is '53, but the car is a 1950 Olds:

Here's what it looks like today after being fully restored:

Tiki or not, it's pretty damn sexy. There's a whole heap of pics and a scan of the article from the mag here. One of the folders has a couple of ink drawings of Hawaiian/Island scenes in the background of the detail shots.

Amongst a ton of other cool cars on that site, there's also a 1951 custom called "The Tahitian":

Interesting background....plenty of bamboo, tropical plants and "BAR-B_Q TO TAKE HOME". Someone here might know the place with the help of the street signs - maybe a pre-tiki Polynesian palace?

Edit: OK, did a TC search for "Fairfax" and it appears this may well be the early incarnation of Kelbo's...have bumped the corresponding thread!

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-10-06 05:01 ]

Sooo...WHAT does the car culture community think about my discovery of the fact that besides the PELE (see BOT p. 212), there were two more Hawaiian named Kaiser concept cars (TIKI MODERN p.132) proposed in 1959 ?:

I was of course thrilled to be able to ad to my first find. Mahalo to my friend Moritz R for finding these in a German Hobby Magazine.

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Oct 7, 2007 6:28 AM

Ooooh, this is a fun thread! Nice ponies all! Marcus and wplugger, you guys should jump in here too...

Well, this 64 Divco (milk truck) is my log and board hauler. She needs a tiki make over.

When I'm not hauling logs, I roll this 68 Cougar.

That milk truck really is a given for being tikified! The front end reminds me of Moritz R.s early "Tiki Bug" painting:

My own good ol' '60 Buick Le Sabre isn't doing so well...

I have driven it for more than 20 years as my only ride, but now there is so much wrong with it, it's languishing in the garage. I like to think of it in its heyday, depicted here in a splendid collage (by Moritz, again!):

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Oct 8, 2007 6:58 AM

Big Bro...

Cool collection of tiki with cars. I'm intrigued with the Moritz image you posted...the way he/she used the Abstract (Mondrian) in the horizon, and surrealism (Dali) with the ear wheel, etc is interesting...It falls into a "Camp" area for me, but I like it.

PS, just noticed that it looks like Moritz took the Abstract area of the painting and combined it with Cubism. :)

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-10-08 07:37 ]

Divco...that's fantastic!

If you choose not to go with a tiki theme for it, you might consider Ried Flemming, the worlds Toughest Milkman.

[ Edited by: Gigantalope 2007-10-08 08:34 ]

Pages: 1 25 replies