Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki bicycle needs home

Pages: 1 40 replies

Von Franco Taboo Tiki bike,it was upgraded to a 7 speed by the builder.The bucket thing is a tiki cup holder. it is located in San Diego, CA
I will be riding it to Over The Line this Sat 7/12/08

[ Edited by: sesparza 2008-07-11 18:47 ]

[ Edited by: sesparza 2008-07-11 19:02 ]

Man, that is an awsome bike! Too bad I'm so far away.

Wouldn't that match your car?

T

it was upgraded to a 7 speed

Was that something that you did? I like that idea alot. The back were the gears are look to be in the orange hub. It looks factory an not aftermarket.

What is the bucket looking item on the handle bars.

Wish I could still buy one retail locally. Love that Bike!

D

On 2007-09-15 15:58, teaKEY wrote:

What is the bucket looking item on the handle bars.

That would be a drink holder.

On 2007-09-15 14:22, The Granite Tiki wrote:
Wouldn't that match your car?

Those were, indeed, my thoughts!

I've always wanted that bike, I wish I lived less than 3500 miles away from you!

C
Chub posted on Sun, Sep 16, 2007 10:22 AM

What's your opening bid?

I'm in the dark... is that a toatal custom job, or was there a production tiki bike?

C
Chub posted on Mon, Sep 17, 2007 11:08 AM

So is the bike sold? How much do you want for it? How to contact you?

Bongo, It's not custom.
I saw one at a local Bikeshop about 5 years ago. Not sure who makes it. It is a bit over the top. I would feel like the Pee Wee Herman of the Tiki World cruisin' on that thing.

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2007-09-17 13:58 ]

if those things were brown or Tan I would have nabbed one up in a second.

is there a amount that you want to start at?

I offer $200.oo

not as an insult, but just because of the green.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

C
Chub posted on Mon, Sep 17, 2007 10:12 PM

I'll bid $201.00 then. Hah hah.. Just kidding, no really is this bike still for sale or what?

V

What's the size of the frame, is it a 19 or a 21? I'm interested.

Were they the original handle bars that came with yours? Mine are black and a different shape.

FYI-
Produced by Dyno (GT Bicycles) in 2000, this rare and hard to find cruiser is still highly sought after to this day! Kustom Kulture artist Von Franco designed the colors and graphics for this masterpiece! It features: original artwork from Von Franco, flashing tiki statue and a headlamp, Dyno cork grips and saddle, orange powder coated rims, and an incredible tropical green paint job with taboo tiki artwork!

T

$210

Yee Haw....the bike is mine!!! My apologies to fellow bidders...but that baby is going to look great hanging off my ceiling in the lounge. I love those psychotic colors. :)

Be sure and post a picture!

Will do...but it will be a while. :) I am in the process of getting grasscloth and finding a paperer to do the walls. Probably won't get my ceiling done till next year. This bicycle purchase has been inspiring to me though as it is helping me to envision what I want my lounge to look like eventually. Tiki Modern :D

Next thing I am looking for is a small surfboard with some magenta colored flowers on it...thinking Hawaiian decor. :)

On 2007-09-23 17:18, VampiressRN wrote:
Yee Haw....the bike is mine!!! My apologies to fellow bidders...but that baby is going to look great hanging off my ceiling in the lounge. I love those psychotic colors. :)

Vampiress:

Are you still enjoying your tiki bike?

I need that bike for Burning Man it's prefect.

On 2008-07-10 23:36, Tigerlily wrote:
I need that bike for Burning Man it's prefect.

Sorry Tigerlily, VampiressRN has rendered that bike useless. It is now hanging from her ceiling over a refrigerator in her 'Tiki' lounge/bar. I'm sure though that if you are in her lounge/bar the bike really helps to create the illusion that you are in the South Pacific.

Actually the bike that was offered in this thread was not rendered useless by me...it may still be available. I ended up purchasing one off eBay that belonged to someone else and was still in the box and not altered at all. Who knew there were so many of these floating around!!! I seriously doubt that it will conjure up images of the South Pacific as my "Tiki" lounge is not traditional in any way.

Tiffany...that would be a great bike to cruise Burning Man on. I always thought a cutesy Vespa scooter would be fun too. Come gawk at my ceiling decor next time you are in the area. October is too busy for a party this year so thinking of an early November or December event...I'll email ya!!! :)

Chris...yes..I love the bike...the green is so intense. I didn't like the orange rims on the tires at first, but it grows on ya and it is a beautiful piece of art. Planning on getting a Clysdalle surfboard for my ceiling next year....another art-piece that won't conjure up images of the South Pacific, but will meet my "Tiki" needs. :lol:

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2008-07-11 06:02 ]

On 2008-07-11 00:46, Hakalugi wrote:

Sorry Tigerlily, VampiressRN has rendered that bike useless. It is now hanging from her ceiling over a refrigerator in her 'Tiki' lounge/bar. I'm sure though that if you are in her lounge/bar the bike really helps to create the illusion that you are in the South Pacific.

Ouch! whatthehelldoesitmattertoyou? sour grapes? What gives?
I took a perfectly good Schwinn Stingray, rendered it "Useless" in my TiKi bar/office, why? BECAUSE I WANTED TO!
(VampiressRN...you go girl!)

You should ride the bike not hang it. On the 4th of July the Tiki bike was taken out for a cruise. Here is a picture of the bike and a vintage 1948 Schwinn cruiser.
Take the bike down and enjoy it. Ride Ride Ride :)

K
KuKu posted on Fri, Jul 11, 2008 2:23 PM

So What's deal?!? Is it for sale or not? I really like the green and is the bar bouy still on the handle bars? VRN leme know...:D

One day, there will be a cure for tiki,
That's the day I'll throw my rum away...

[ Edited by: KuKu 2008-07-11 14:25 ]

[ Edited by: KuKu 2008-07-11 14:38 ]

That's a good question...the person only posted once on TC so the status is unknown. I woud suggest emailing the original thread author to find out [email protected]

Best of luck in finding your bike...if it doesn't happen now, keep an eye out on eBay for one. :)

TS

This thread's post dates to September of 2007. Consider it dead, sold, gone.

K
KuKu posted on Sat, Jul 12, 2008 12:06 PM

On 2008-07-12 07:18, Tom Slick wrote:
This thread's post dates to September of 2007. Consider it dead, sold, gone.

Yeah, I was under the impression VampiressRN already had it under her hot lil seat, got another and was lookin' to unload the extra...

[ Edited by: KuKu 2008-07-12 12:07 ]

S

The bike is still for sale, it is in San Diego .Price 425.00? or best offer

K
KuKu posted on Sun, Jul 13, 2008 11:05 AM

sesparza, I just PM'd you about the bike cuz I gotta have it...

On 2007-09-17 14:46, bigtikidude wrote:
if those things were brown or Tan I would have nabbed one up in a second.

is there a amount that you want to start at?

I offer $200.oo

not as an insult, but just because of the green.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff, what do you have against a Metalflake Booger Green frame with Orange rims?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like this bike has gone to a good home but if anyone has one they want to part with and are willing to ship to the uk i'd love to own one!!

i sell tiki items at Vw shows in the uk and have a low rider which i sit out front my stall but a von franco bike would be so much better.

come on guys help me out

mahope
richi

http://www.tonamwrtiki.blog.cpot

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 17, 2008 8:09 PM

On 2008-07-16 16:26, tonmawrtiki wrote:
Looks like this bike has gone to a good home but if anyone has one they want to part with and are willing to ship to the uk i'd love to own one!!

i sell tiki items at Vw shows in the uk and have a low rider which i sit out front my stall but a von franco bike would be so much better.

You could always tiki-fy your own cruiser mate :D This one features twine on the upright tube, and a wooden 'tank' insert, cork grips and seat detailing etc

My suggestion would be: candy green paint, bamboo coloured grips and seat, copper rims, whitewalls. Just keep it simple and cool :D A nicely done custom bike will stand out better than a standard bike. Even better if you can incorporate some of your tiki items (like using a tiki pendant as a headstem badge)

Wtf after posting last time my buddy philly (partime striper) gave us a call said he was selling his lowrider ha got it for 80 pounds running 144 chrome spoke wheels continental kit on the back sprayed with grey primer then lacquerd with a zebra skin seat and chain guard and too top it off lowrider white walls.

So spents the last hour working out how to lay some bamboo on the new ride gona leave the traditional fake tank thing alone and fill the other areas and run some bamboo wheel guards and possibly tail pipes!!!

then poped on here and well thats spokey Ae

thanks for the pic and inspiration
mahope

K
KuKu posted on Tue, Jul 22, 2008 5:26 PM

On 2008-07-17 20:09, hewey wrote:

On 2008-07-16 16:26, tonmawrtiki wrote:

You could always tiki-fy your own cruiser mate :D This one features twine on the upright tube, and a wooden 'tank' insert, cork grips and seat detailing etc

My suggestion would be: candy green paint, bamboo coloured grips and seat, copper rims, whitewalls. Just keep it simple and cool :D A nicely done custom bike will stand out better than a standard bike. Even better if you can incorporate some of your tiki items (like using a tiki pendant as a headstem badge)

That sounds cool and you have put together a nice ride but this bike offered is a Von Franco, so it would be like Jonesing for a Shag or Bosko tiki mug and just settling for a "Mighty Putty" version of your own you put together on a coffee mug you had in a Goodwill box in the garage. And if I was gonna go that route I would get Bamboo Ben to create something collectable for me.

Anyhoo, the guy has not contacted me back so not sure if this bike has gone to a good home or if it even exists for that matter. Anyone else here from the guy yet?!?

I did find an entire collection of Von Franco bikes (10 in all) for sale but I only want the tiki bike so if any of you out there are interested in a Von Franco cruiser let me know and I just might buy the whole lot and unload the others.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 23, 2008 8:32 PM

On 2008-07-22 17:26, KuKu wrote:
That sounds cool and you have put together a nice ride but this bike offered is a Von Franco, so it would be like Jonesing for a Shag or Bosko tiki mug and just settling for a "Mighty Putty" version of your own you put together on a coffee mug you had in a Goodwill box in the garage. And if I was gonna go that route I would get Bamboo Ben to create something collectable for me.

Shoulda clarified, that isnt my bike :wink: It was just the first pic I could find on hand of a neat tiki themed bike. :D I like your idea about the 'Boo Ben bike - that'd be arrrrsome!

K
KuKu posted on Thu, Jul 24, 2008 2:53 PM

YEA!!! THE BIKE IS MINE!! Pickin this bad boy up the day after Oasis... :D

Con Grats on the bike purchase and thanks for the heads up for the cruiser cept i'm doing a lowrider i've decided as i aint gona ride it much.

You can see the lowrider and a sweat VW bay window woddie just appeared at bug jam 08 on http://www.tonmawrtiki.co.uk or http://www.tonmawrtiki.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: tonmawrtiki 2008-07-24 16:00 ]

Pages: 1 40 replies