Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

TIki Oasis vs Hukilau vs London Luau?

Pages: 1 17 replies

S
Sgirl posted on Thu, Sep 20, 2007 5:03 PM

I attended Tiki Oasis 7 this year and had a good time. Prob will attend next year, assuming the dates work. However, I am curious what the main differences and/or similarities are between Tiki Oasis, Hukilau & the London Luau. Anyone been to all three willing to offer their insights/experiences?

I have read thru some old posts (there were no direct comparisons that I could find) and browsed their respecitve websites, but it is hard to tell what each is really like. What is unique about each? If you could attend two or all three would you? If you could only attend one, which would it be and why (assuming location isn't the limiting factor, which may in fact be the main difference)?

I'm still fairly new here, so I hope this is the best spot to post this question. It didn't really seem to fit in events or travel...

Thank you!

[ Edited by: Sgirl 2007-09-20 17:09 ]

For me, there are certainly a lot of similarities in terms of types of events. But the locations certainly present new and exciting opportunites for each event. Hukilau is certainly quite unique in that it is in a town that is dripping with 60's retro architecture and is centered around a true tiki landmark (the Mai Kai). San Diego is different in that there is no landmark quite on the level of the Mai Kai, but it is bigger and has the fabulous Southern California weather.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

[ Edited by: Digitiki 2007-09-21 10:57 ]

S

Mai Kai is likely the big difference. There is nothing to compare. The good people and fun and entertainment is likely all alike to some extent.

P

King Kukulele has been to all of them multiple times.
Go to his website and send him an email and maybe he can shed some light on it.

Also, check the events sections of this site and use the search feature to check out photos, tales, etc.

I think people get the DRUNKEST at Tiki Oasis events....
just an observation....

C

About how far in advance do they set the date for Tiki Oasis? I have family trying to plan a cruise in August and I am supposed to put down a deposit soon. I am hoping it is not the same weekend.

On 2007-09-22 11:04, little lost tiki wrote:
I think people get the DRUNKEST at Tiki Oasis events....
just an observation....

I know of at least a few people who make that same claim for Hukilau......

Here is my observation about the differences.....

Oasis is on the Pacific Coast. Beautiful sunsets, all the Ohana, good fun.

Hukilau in on the Atlantic Coast. Beautiful sunrises, all the Ohana, an ocean you can swim in without the aid of a wetsuit, good fun.

London Luau, haven't been to one yet so I an offer anything other than an opinion. But, my opinion from what many have told is that has all the Ohana, and good fun.

Does that help?

Hmm...I'm gonna go Hukilau.

B

I'm afraid that the music and performers you'll see at the London Luau are most definitely NOT representative of the ACTUAL talent we have over here.
IMHO.

Have you "ACTUALLY" been to the London Luau.
You need to step up if you want to be counted.

V

Seeing Bo Axelzon and his orchestra was definitly a wonderful time and the best kind of music you can get at the last London Luau.
It's just different events with great people, and if you can, make them all.

I've only been to the London Luau's. But all have been great for different types of music, from tikipunk to old skool exotica. I feel tiki is not only about one type of music, art, islands, food or dress, so it's great to have a chance experience them all over one weekend.

I hope to get out to one of the big US events soon, but will be over to the tiki mag art show on Nov. Looking forward to soak up more tiki flavours.

On 2007-09-24 03:11, basilh wrote:
I'm afraid that the music and performers you'll see at the London Luau are most definitely NOT representative of the ACTUAL talent we have over here.
IMHO.

Sounds like a man with a claim worth checking out! POCKETIKI is after talented bands and individuals who can make the grade, for our second 'POCKETIKI Presents...' cd to be included in the limited edition copies of #4. Yeah, I know #3 ain't out yet Jamie before you ask! What you got my friend? We want to hear it!!! We'd love to be including as much British and European material as possible, especially from acts that don't already have records/cds out already!

As for the main thread? I'm afraid I can't comment on the Hukilau or Tii Oasis as I haven't been able to afford the trip across the pond, but I will..one day!

So what about Britain's offering of Tiki delights and delectation's?

I've been to all three LONDON LUAUs so far and I'll definitely be attending the rest!!! Great value for money and a chance to hook up with the tiki ohana from Good Ol' Blighty and our neighbouring cousins...France, Germany, Belgium, Holland, Italy....yeah, you got the picture! Great that the LONDON LUAU has even attracted some of you guys from way out west! How you doin' King Kukulele, Capt. Midnight and Hukilau's own Christie! Then there's the London based Samoans, Maoris, Tahitians, Fijians to name but a few who were at this years LUAU who for me personally added a whole new dimension! I was reduced to tears by their involvement, but that's a story for the next POCKETIKI!

The variety of the entertainment has been fantastic! Our favourites HULAPUNK from Hamburg, played at the LUAU last year, the one and only KING KUKULELE from the good ol' US of A (his LIVE AT TRADER VIC's cd was recorded there!), and TERRI NUI, back again by popular demand! The first year had FISHERMAN from New York, ukulele eccentric, CYRIL LEFEBURE from Paris and TERRI NUI and his TAHITIANS!

This year the tiki ohana were treated to the delights of KING KUKULELE, again back by VERY popular demand!!! Sweden's premier outfit, THE BO AXELSON ORCHESTRA, more ukulele delights from the due from Japan via Munich, COCONAMI, and Britain's own BIKINI BEACH BAND who played agreat set of cover versions from PULP to Kylie, NEW ORDER and bak again in a great surf instro style! This act really had the crowd entertained with its...oh! Don't tell me...I know this one, fun!

Sorry if I got any of that wrong but a lot of MAI-TAIs passed my lips during these events, and that, coupled with the 'Old Timers' kickin' in, means my memory ain't what it used to be...and that, coupled with the 'Old Timers' kickin' in, means my memory ain't what it used to be...oh, did I just say that?

As for next year? Who knows...maybe your band or just plain YOU, may be playing! Any which way, it's bound to be a 'GREAT TIME HAD BY ALL!'. SEE YOU THERE FOLKS!

All the Best from Tiki Towers - Trader Jim (Make mine a Mai-Tai at the lONDON LUAU 2008!).

Not sure about the differences, but how about similarities:

It's all about the RUM RUM RUM (Oh...and the Tiki I guess)

It's put on by the 3 hardest working individuals/ teams in Tikidom. Folks who go well beyond the call of duty, to put together a forum for all of us to meet, network and partay!!

Organizing events such as these must be mind-boggling. Burn out is a very real possibility. Hopefully the future will find others who will fill these immense shoes and ensure that these events go on forever!!

Viva Otto, tiki kiliki and Cheekytiki!!

This past Oasis was pretty tiki god damn cool.

Based back around the pool! ( where it belongs!!)

(Jaime/Cheeky, you have to come back for more woofull ball! :)

Never been to London Luau. (Got a passport but never used it.)

Hukilau 05 was da kine!!!! ( still in shock!!)

Any event is cool. Do what you can. It's all good!

B

You need to step up if you want to be counted

Are you asking for my credentials ?

B

Sounds like a man with a claim worth checking out! POCKETIKI is after talented bands and individuals who can make the grade

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25712&forum=11&19

Also regarding my worldwide album sales on EMI, see this :--
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/011671.html

Maybe some of the performers at the London Luau WERE adept, but methinks not the UK contingent, too much 'George Formby' and not enough Otah San
IMHO FWIW.

[ Edited by: basilh 2007-09-27 16:33 ]

S

These comments have been helpful. Thanks everyone!!

It sounds like the consensus is to go to what you can, they are more similar than different. Yet, if you have a particular interest you might find it at one of the events and not the others (eg bands are different, some seminars, some artists, etc) Wish I could attend them all, but not likely. But maybe someday!

Chip and Andy - yes, your descriptions did really help to crystallize the similarities and help me see that the differences are based on what I am looking for and my perspective. I am happy to swim in the ocean in San Diego in Aug w/o a wet suit. The water is quite warm when you compare it to the water in Point Reyes, Pacifica or Half Moon bay.

BambooBen, I'm impressed you have a passport, sadly, most Americans don't. International travel is one of the most interesting, fun, eye opening, life changing experiences to be had in my opinion, esp if you go with an open mind/heart. And as I learned at Tiki Oasis in Beachbum Berry's workshop travel is what inspired Don Beachcomber to start his polynesia themed bar/restaturants. Ironically, our path to tiki started in Tahiti, well really after our return home . I hope you get to use your passport soon!!

Pages: 1 17 replies