Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Help... Turning a room into a tiki lounge

Pages: 1 3 replies

S

I've got a room in my basement, 13x25, that's currently used for storage. It should make a darn nice Tiki Lounge, and it HAS to happen because I already picked the name - The RumbaTiki Lounge, which goes well with my rum-drinking habits...

Anyway, I did some searching and got some ideas and places for materials so I'm mostly set. But I'd like to light the room with Christmas Lights hanging from the ceiling, but of course I'd like little Tiki lights. Any ideas where to get these, anyone?

Next... The whole process of doing this decorating is what I'm a little lost with. And I'm particularly lazy and have little free time, so I want the easiest way to do things at the expense of some extra cost. That is, I can't afford the cash to hire someone and I can't afford the time to do it all the right way myself.

The plan is basically to do all the walls 4' up with small bamboo fencing, with the upper 4' of the walls being matting. Currently the room is mostly 1967 dark wood paneling - you know the type - nailed directly onto studs. To make it easy and because I hate visible nailheads, I'd like to use Liquid Nail or something to attach everything to the walls. Good/bad? Seems like it should be OK for the fencing, but will that stuff soak through the matting? Anything better to use?

Paneling is 40 years old in a room with a fireplace. I figure it will be best to paint it to match the color of the bamboo since it will be visible through the cracks. But I don't want to wash the paneling with TSP because that's too much work... Should I prime the paneling first? Or just do two coats of paint? Should I use a particular paint?

The room needs a new carpet. Would you do that first or last?

One 25' wall goes up about 3.5' to a 6-inch shelf and the rest of that wall is wallpaper. Having all 4 walls the same (bamboo fence + matting) would be too much, so I'd like to just paint over this wallpaper and make this the main wall for tiki decorations. Painting over old dirty wallpaper... Can it be done? I know it should NOT be done, so what's the best way for a lazy man to do it?

I need to make a bar. This isn't too much of a problem at all, and what will take a lot of my free time. I have plenty of woodworking gear and some knowledge.

But I simply have no idea what to do with the inside of the bar, so I'd love to hear any tips for the inside... Shelving arrangements, things to have, etc, etc. This may be the place to put a "slop sink" since I will not have running water in this room. I will have space behind the bar to add narrow shelves to hold liquor, etc, so I think the bar itself is the place for big stuff.

I plan on having an 8' bar. Any tips, tricks, suggestions, or pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Any pointers, tips or suggestions appreciated.

You already got floors AND walls in your basement? You're 75% done!

Carpet LAST.

Wash the paneling with a sponge at least before you paint it. If you use flat paint (and why not), I don't think you'll have any problems. Why not put matting over the wallpaper too?

I think the layout of your bar is the most important decision in a young man's life. I don't think anybody can really tell you how to do it.

My best advice is to get a plan before you start and buy everything at once. I was always needing to go to the dang store alla time. You'll never have everything but you'll be happy when you find you actually have those extra nails or staples or whatever right when you need them.

Lemme know if need grunt help.

Also check out the photos of others' home bars here on the TC. Those will definately give you some ideas

I think spending time in the room will help you get a good feel for it. I agree, search around for home bars on this board....there are some really awesome rooms. Many folks do their rooms on a budget too with great stories. I am just now to the point of wanting to do something to my walls and ceiling and it is a big decision, so take your time and

Check this post out...there is a great on-line tool you can get for free to design your room layout on-line.

Post pictures as you move through your project and have fun!!! :)

Pages: 1 3 replies