Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

TikiKirby's tangaroa shower

Pages: 1 29 replies

hello,
been following vantiki's awesome bathroom remodel and it inspired me to post some pics of my bathroom remodel. specifically, the shower... it was my first time working with tile, but i felt the urge to create a tiki in mosaic. here are some pics of the work so far (still needs grout and to be cleaned). hope you fellow tiki fans appreciate tang's placement. the reason i went with tangaroa is because i've named our backyard bar the tangaroa room ..

WOWIE ZOWIE....I love it. TC is definitely an inspiring place. Your shower is looking awesome, the crossed palms are wicked, the tiki is great and the colors are perfect. Thanks for posting the pictures. :)

Wow! That is incredible! Nice placement of the handle too! Hilarious and yet so appropriate! Excellent work!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Sep 22, 2007 11:46 AM

Excellent!! GROG like.

N
NOTCH posted on Sat, Sep 22, 2007 1:24 PM

Very nice! Notch like too

mahalo everyone for your kind comments, this home remodel has taken me away from my art work. i felt i just had to do something tiki with all those regular tiles... :D

aloha,
TikiKirby

T

Love the design and the color choice. It's looking great already.
Can't wait to see it with the grout. This is the coolest shower.

V

Hot damn! That is sooooo nice! I just walked the laptop over to Ms. VanTiki so she could peek at your cool stuff while she grouts the tile in our bathroom. I see you used kerdi waterproofing too! good times. Do you guys have a second shower to use while you do the tile work?

Henrik "VanTiki"

mahalo vantiki, i've been following the progress on your bathroom here and on that tile site, and i have to say it looks fantastic!! yeah i'm doin the whole kerdi/ditra thing cause it seems like the best way to keep everything sealed and not have to kill yourself with cement board. this is our small bathroom, and i did what you guys did tear everything out and start new. luckily we have another bathroom so it wasn't a major crisis but we plan to redo that bathroom also (different colors but similar). i just figured i'd make my mistakes and learn on this small bath before i do the main bathroom. but having done this, i have alot of appreciation for the work you guys are doing on top of the tiles you created, keep up the good work... i'll be grouting this week and i'll post more pics then..

aloha tikikirby

You must have mad skills or the pateince of a saint to make those tile cuts. Either way, it looks like you worked really hard. Awesome!

the grout is in, almost ready to shower...:D

Simply beautiful. :tiki:

S

How fantastic. Really nice work, and how clever! I love it.

Suzanne

Awesome!

The tap is the best! Beautiful work!

Now, all I have to do is buy a place here, and fly you out and have you do the shower!

If you are interested in doing more of these showers, e-mail me, I have clients that would order them today.

mahalos for all the kind comments, it's nice to know tiki's work just about everywhere... as for doing more of this, my boss (mrs. TikiKirby) has the next two commissions (another shower, and a kitchen backsplash)!! here are some finished pics...

before..

after..

before..

after..

Looks awesome. That tile work in the shower is top class, and the way you wrapped it around the bathroom has a nice retro look to it. Love the color. Someone needs to produce some high-quality Egyptian cotton tiki towels. :)

C

Wow, Kirby - beautiful work!!!!

So, what's it like showering with a Tangaroa!?!? :wink:

love the tang!! i tell you what, it hard not to smile turning the shower on :D

T

This is beautiful work. I love the color choice too.

GREAT WORK!! Really great design, excellent choice of colors, and excellent craftsmanship. I LOVE this!.

excellent!!!!!!!!!!! looks cool1

Amy

Thats really nice. Great job!
Old school colors always look the best in bathrooms. How many other projects has she booked you for? once they know you can do this sort of work the requests never end.
Trader Bob

T

A couple years old but was an awesome job!! Came out great!!
Actually makes me want to have a shower!!!

TabooDan

I can't believe I missed this thread the first time around. It is truly awesome.

I'm so glad the pictures are still posted. I lusted after this tile job when I first saw it but only just recently bought a house that will support something like this!

I love the shower and I read all the posts. So how many times have you turned that shower on? Wendy

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jan 15, 2011 1:36 PM

On 2011-01-15 10:00, danlovestikis wrote:
So how many times have you turned that shower on?

Now that a loaded question, seeing as where you have to grab it to turn it on!

M

Very Beautimus! Glad you got rid of that blue color! What a peaceful place to take a shower and being watched over by a tiki!
mymo

Mahalos for the compliments, this was a fun project... I learned a lot on this. It's funny how only the fans of tiki made comments on the handle placement, it really flew under the radar with everyone else... Unfortunately, I sold the house, but the new owners are tiki fans and have told me several times how much they love it. So at least it went to a good home.

I have drawn up a couple of ideas for my next tile project, I just have to find the time. I liked working on such a large "canvas" and I can't wait to do it again.. :D

Pages: 1 29 replies