Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

TikiDiego's Tiki Mug Shelfs! New boat shelf on page 2!

Pages: 1 18 replies

I finally finished my latest tiki mug shelf. I'm pretty happy with the overall look and how it turned out. I tried to make it match with the turtle tank stand that I made last year. I opted not to use more Melina fabric, and instead used up the rest of the thatching that I bought for the turtle tank stand.

This was also my first attempt at wiring up tiki torches with flicker bulbs. After a lot of trial and error I learned that the Dremmel tool worked best for opening up the tins at the top of the torches.

As my wife calls it, it's another "Caltrans" project, because I was already way over capacity long before the project was even finished. Now I gotta go back to the drawing board and design a new shelf (and find a new wall) for even more mugs. Oh well, I guess there's worse problems to have in life. :)

So here it is, I hope you like it.

[ Edited by: TikiDiego 2007-11-19 21:50 ]

[ Edited by: TikiDiego 2008-01-08 20:59 ]

That turned out really well...nice design and blends in well with your other decorum. Now the turtle has some mug friends to hang with. :)

C

Nice!

Alrighty... so now I'm on to my next mug shelf project.

This one started over the weekend, after an awesome find at Kobey's Swap Meet. My wife spotted this weird item hidden behind a bunch of junk. Turns out it used to house some sort of Musak speaker system, which had been plundered out of it some time ago.

We instantly knew this had the potential to make a kickin' tiki mug shelf so we bought it. Only $15!

This is what it looked like when I got it home.

Plans are to repair the wood, install lighting in the wicker speaker housings, and put some sort of fabric background behind the center portion.

So tonight was my first session of work on it. I got the lights wired up. The coiled flourescent lights were for testing only. The lights I have installed right now are a sweet pair of globe lamps that give a nice warm glow.

I also installed some quick and easy mounting brackets so I could hang it up on the wall. Looks like this guy has sat on a floor for it's entire life.

I'm really pleased with it so far, and I can't wait to do some TLC on the wood and finish up with some nice fabric.

I hope you like it too!

By the way, other then a vague story about it housing some Musak speakers, I really don't know anything about this weird lookin' thing. My assumption is that it is handmade. I know it's old and it's awesome. That's about it. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

[ Edited by: TikiDiego 2007-11-19 21:58 ]

On 2007-11-19 21:57, TikiDiego wrote:

SAWEEEEET!! :drink:

Great idea.

Gorgeous! It's like it was meant to be lighted.

-cool-...maybe putting some colored bulbs in place of the white ones my add more ambience...those squiggly bulbs now come in colors too, as do the regular "party lite" bulbs

On 2007-11-20 07:50, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
-cool-...maybe putting some colored bulbs in place of the white ones my add more ambience...those squiggly bulbs now come in colors too, as do the regular "party lite" bulbs

I've Seen them at Walgreen's and CVS.
That is an awesome idea for a shelf & light system!!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Nov 20, 2007 7:15 PM

Both of those shelves look awesome, great job :D I really like the use of the $15 speaker mounts, great imagination :D

Thanks for the postive comments!

For the next step, I'm going to order a pair of small custom Bosko masks to mount on the front of the wicker speaker/light housings.

I'll post pics when the masks arrive and I get it all together.

T

this is sweet, great idea to put the lights inside.

H

Keep up the good work homie!

I'm glad you guys like it!
Hodadhank, my El Bastardo mug on the shelf came from the Boutiki! I love that place!

So I finally got my new custom Bosko Moai's on the shelf, and they look awesome! Check it out:

And of course, I've loaded it up with a bunch of Tiki mugs. It's pretty much as full as it can be right now, although I think I can fit maybe two more on the top shelf.

Hey TikiDiego, You did a beautiful job on that mid century shelf. The Bosko heads perfectly send it over the top. I wish you were manufacturing these- I'd definitely need one.

That shelf is absolutely awesome. One of the best mug shelves ever. Great imagination.

T

Thanks again for the positive feedback, I'm really glad that the crew here likes the silly shelves that I've put together so far.

So as always, with Tiki Mug capacity at overloaded, I'm always on the lookout for new mug shelf options.

Here's the new one I am working on. I found this boat shelf at the Swap Meet two weeks ago, and got it for a steal. I love bargaining! It was pretty well beat up. The nose of the boat was totally smashed in.

A little spackle, wood filler, paint, and some netting material later... it's on it's way to turning into a what I hope is faily respectable mug shelf!

The boat as it started. I've already made the repairs to the nose here.

With the green paint done, and starting the prep work with a little pinstripers tape to mask for the brown portion.

As it is tonight!

Next steps are to add two small glass floats on the sides that my wife picked up at the Freaky Boutiki, maybe some small lettering with it's name, and then hang it up on the wall. I'm still debating some sort of rope decoration on it, but I'm not sure what I want to do. If anyone has some good suggestions for ways to improve it, I'm all ears!

My wife has christened it the "SS Kobey" in honor of the swap meet we love so much. :)

[ Edited by: TikiDiego 2008-01-08 21:01 ]

[ Edited by: tikidiego 2008-01-08 21:15 ]

Another winner! I'm feeling inspired by your creativity. Everything is now looking like a possible mug shelf.

Alrighty... I think I'm about done with the boat shelf. It's upon on the wall and looking good. I might add some interior lighting to it later in the future, but for now I'm pretty happy with it.

Cap'n Holdfast looks like he was made for this shelf:

And finally, a shot with all three of the shelfs that I have made, and how they look all together in the living room:

Pages: 1 18 replies