Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mug Collecting

Pages: 1 16 replies

Hey Gang,

Being fairly new to mug collecting, I was wondering what are some of the "holy grails" of mug collecting. What should I be looking for? I belong to Ooga-Mooga, and check this out regularly. I already have about 30 mugs, with about 20 of them from Tiki Farm. Just looking for some guidance, and the challenge of those hard-to-find mugs.

Cheers!

Rick

Try looking at other Ooga-Mooga user's wishlists. That's a quick and easy reference to what people are longing for.

The only mug I ever really obsessed over was the Mainlander mug. But then I managed to trade for one with Tiki Matt.

N

Tiki-Kate hit it on the button..
Also look for Limited Edition numbered mugs and Vintage Resturant/Bar Mugs
(Steve Crane,Frankoma,Hawaiian Village,Don the Beachcomber,Pub Tiki,etc)
And go get a book called TikiQuest by Duke Carter.
Its got over 180 pages of Exotic Collectables.. Good Luck

[ Edited by: notch 2007-09-28 11:50 ]

Frankoma War Gods, definately MY holy grails!

OK, just bought TikiQuest. Keep those holy grails coming..

.......careful Rick, you might catch the fever!

IMHO, you're going about this ALL WRONG!! Why start chasing all the rare, pricey mugs everyone ELSE wants???????? That's nuts! Go after the ones YOU like and screw the herd--and save some dough!

Well spoken Pappy! This was just one of those questions I had to throw out as a semi-newbie.

Cheer$!

Rick

Actually, that's not to say you shouldn't have a working knowledge of what people want... I got that Luau 400 mug for nearly no money and just sold it quite some. And because I wasn't emotionally involved, it's easy to send him off to his new home.

I'm with Pappy... Collect what you like.
Here's a good thread though Holy Grail. It goes waay back and has a lot of good reference. For me it's all about the hunt.
Aloha,
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale 2007-09-28 15:25 ]

K

The two mugs that usually fetch the most on Ebay is the red Frankoma War God and the Ren Clark Severed Head.

Personally, I'm after the Steven Crane Ku and Tongue mugs...which, by the way, I'm willing to trade a Voodoo Grog glass for. Check my wish list on Ooga Mooga

[ Edited by: Kenike 2007-09-28 15:51 ]

T

Well I'm sitting here looking at the new, the vintage, the limited editions, the cool ones that TC artists have done and some dust. I have to say that I prefer the hunt out in the wild but I also like to get a bargain on eBay or get a Poptiki, Cammo, Ocea Otica or Crazy Al mug to name a few. Having fun that's what the "mugs" are all about for me. So Ooga Mooga's a great resource and so is Tiki Finds. Keep searching the mugs are out there! Ooh & my holy grail right now is a Kowloon mug!

Tikisgrl

TM

I'm partial to the limited edition BarTiki Mug.

T

On 2007-09-28 21:46, Tiki Matt wrote:

Shameless Fluff...

Oh & by the way my favorite mug also a Kowloon Mug!

:lol:

I am pretty new to collecting mugs too. I will never have the great collections that so many people have, but if I had the money...I might. I would like an original Mr Bali Hai...I have a repo so at least I have a little solace.

Ooga Mooga is amazing to look at, there are so many fabulous mugs it is bind-boggling.

T

On 2007-09-29 06:03, Tikisgrl wrote:

On 2007-09-28 21:46, Tiki Matt wrote:

Shameless Fluff...

Oh & by the way my favorite mug also a Kowloon Mug!

I always figured you were a fluffer...

Thanks to all who recommended picking up TikiQuest. It arrived in the mail today, and I've been drooling all over the pages checking out all those great mugs.

Cheers!

Rick

Pages: 1 16 replies