Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help Me ID this mug

Pages: 1 5 replies

I found this mug awhile ago and I can't seem to find any information about it.

Front, back and bottom views.

Bottom has "Ceramica Mendez Ruiz 7a. Av. 15-24, Zone 11 Centro Americano Hecho In Guatemala Hecho A Mano Sin Plomo".

Thanks for any help!

PTD

I can't tell you anything about the history of this mug, but here's a translation of:

"Ceramica Mendez Ruiz 7a. Av. 15-24, Zone 11 Centro Americano Hecho In Guatemala Hecho A Mano Sin Plomo"

"Mendez Ruiz Ceramics, 7a. Av. 15-24, Zone 11 Centro Americano (the address), Made in Guatemala, Made by hand without lead."

• SV

....it's just a guess but maybe it's based after an Aztec or Inca design?
I've never seen this mug before, I'm curious to find out more info as well, good luck!

Okay, take this for what's it worth. I Googled for the name of the maker and found an article in Spanish highlighting inventors in Guatemala. Not sure if it's the same place, but given the "without lead" notice on the mug I suspect it is.

Here's my translation of the portion of the article that seemed relevant. I think my translation is pretty close, the original article is not that well written which may explain why the flow is awkward.

"THE PRINCIPLE OF SULFUR
The subject of scientific research always attracted Robert Méndez-Ruiz (1923-1992). His interest in physics and chemistry took to him to create a product in benefit of health: the Sulfur Glass. Also he created the formula of a ceramic glass free of lead and resistant to changes in temperature.

Along with his brother Javier, he launched a laboratory with the money that they had inherited from their father. They studied minerals and the Earth during 20 years.

Robert spent many hours in the laboratory to establish a formula of colloidal sulfur, but he had to stabilize it. “After several sulfur explosions in the laboratory he obtained it”, tells Claudia, his daughter. The glass is made from a sulfured porcelain and contains sulfur flower (small lumps). The investigator found the method to provide the water with 500 milligrams of the product without it being toxic and without secondary effects. “Of course it's not magic, the certainty is very important” comments Claudia when speaking on the use.

In 1966, along with his wife Esperanza, Robert founded Ceramics and Laboratories Méndez Ruiz. The product began to be used, first in Guatemala and later in other countries. After the death of Robert, their children Claudia and Estuardo took over the laboratory and jealously guard the discoveries of their father. They say that they have known of people who have tried to deceive buyers with plastic glass and make them think that it has medicinal properties. Nevertheless, the authentic sulfur glass already is sold in several countries of the world."

-SV

I

I own the exact same mug, although mine is generally more scuffed up. Thje color, markings, and bottom text (and the placement of the text) are practically the same.

I was curious about this mug, as it does have a complete different look and feel than the other mugs. The inside of mine has a much smoother texture than the lightly coarse outside coating.

Vern

Wow, already much information! Interesting history on the maker and orgin.

This one also has a smooth white glaze on the interior but needs to be cleaned as it looks like someone used it as a planter or vase.

Thanks for the replies, this is great.

PTD

Pages: 1 5 replies