Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Disney In Hawaii

Pages: 1 2 59 replies

F

Saw this from the Associated Press tonight...

Disney plans to build a family resort in Hawaii,but it won't be an island Disneyland.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts announced today that it has bought 21 acres of oceanfront property on the western side of Oahu. It will use to build an 800-room hotel complex.
The resort will be Disney's first without a nearby theme park.
Disney Chairman Jay Rasulo says it will emphasize family-centered vacations while respecting Hawaii's culture.
Disney spent 144 million dollars to buy the land at the Ko Olina
development. The planned Disney complex is being called the Ko Olina Family Resort.
Construction of the resort is expected to begin next year, with opening set for 2011.

Thanks for that info...sounds interesting...wonder if they will have an Enchanted Tiki Room?

Video Announcement

From the Honolulu Advertiser...

Disney unveils plans for 800-room Oahu resort
By Robbie Dingeman
Advertiser Staff Writer

Walt Disney Parks & Resorts plans to break ground next year for a stand-alone luxury resort built on 21 acres at Ko Olina that the company is purchasing for $144 million.

Jay Rasulo, chairman of Disney parks and resorts, said this is the first mixed-use family resort outside of its theme park developments.

Rasulo provided initial details at a news conference in the fifth-floor state Capitol office of Gov. Linda Lingle. He said the resort is expected to open in 2011 and provide 1,000 jobs. He said the company plans to build a Hawaiian-themed family resort.

"We are looking forward to building a special family resort that honors the cultural diversity of Hawai'i and reflects the spirit of aloha that makes this location so unique," Rasulo said. Disney characters Lilo and Stitch — from the animated film of the same name — made the trip from the Magic Kingdom with Rasulo.

He said Hawai'i already is a very popular destination for members of its Vacation Club, the growing Disney time-share condominium developments and will provide "another way to visit a place that they've loved for many years with a brand they trust."

He said the 800 units will include both hotel rooms and villas for the resort and time-share.

"As the crossroads of Asia, it is your diverse culture that makes this place so special. we look forward to building a family resort that honors the spirit of aloha and welcomes guests from all over the world," Rasulo said.

The property is next to one of the man-made lagoons built in the Ko Olina area on the diamondhead side of J.W. Marriott's Ihilani resort.

The Disney resort will be built on the big bright-green field where the NFL Pro Bowl players have practiced in recent years. "There are absolutely no plans for a theme park," Rasulo said.

Lingle said the project fits well with Hawai'i's reputation as a family destination. "The Disney name brings that to everyone's mind, front and center," she said.

"We both have names that we want to protect," Lingle said. " It is in both of our interests and it plays to our strengths."

Lingle said the resort amounts to "a very courageous decision, one that can have tremendous social impact."

She said the project will add jobs and help the community. The Leeward Coast community has struggled with economic issues that include a shortage of affordable housing and a growing homeless population living on the beaches.

Rasulo said Disney operates 36 resorts around the world. "This project will tell a Hawaiian story," he said.

Wai'anae Coast community leader William Aila said the Disney group hosted a lunch with him and other community and cultural leaders after the formal announcement at the state Capitol.

He said they invited corporate executives, political leaders and cultural practitioners to share a meal at a Chinese restaurant in Waikiki and learn about their conceptual design for the resort, which has been under wraps until yesterday.

Aila said the Disney executives talked about honoring culturally appropriate concepts. "I think if they stick to Walt Disney's vision of these sort of theme resorts bringing hope and telling the indigenous story, they'll be fine," he said.

But he said the community will need to see that commitment. "If they stray far from that, there could be problems with the development as it goes on, he said.

As a native Hawaiian, Aila said he asked some very pointed questions, but got generally good answers and an open attitude about the process. "I felt positive," he said.

Ko Olina master developer Jeff Stone, who has seen other proposed partners come and go, said he was elated by the news. "It's a dream come true," he said.

"I grew up in Burbank and Walt Disney was my idol," Stone said. "I think it's a perfect fit for the community. I think they're sensitive and I think they know exactly what needs to be done."

He noted that the project would not use the tax credit that he had requested from the state Legislature to help spur the construction of a long-planned aquarium.

"I think it's going to fulfill all the promises that I made to the legislators," he said. Since the development won't use the tax credit, "it makes it even more exciting because we could hopefully reallocate that tax credit to the things we need it for, affordable housing, work force."

For residents not likely to work at the hotel or stay there, Stone says there will be another benefit — increased public access to the beachfront and man-made lagoons. "It will actually increase public access, make it easier for everyone to come and have a great time."

He said the resort already provides more than 200 free parking stalls and this development will add parking.

City Council member Todd Apo, who represents the area and works for Ko Olina, said the project appeals in many ways. He noted Disney's reputation as a firm dedicated to training and helping the community.

As current budget chairman of the Council, Apo said the prospect of a spike in property taxes looks promising as well. He said this kind of development should help in the larger plan of nurturing Kapolei as a secondary urban center or "creating the true second city."

Lingle said she welcomes Disney for the hotel and all its other companies: Touchstone Films, ABC, and other elements.

State tourism liaison Marsha Wienert said the Disney announcement should be a good fit. "To bring the name of Disney to the destination elevates that brand and image as a family destination," she said.

With more and more families traveling together, Wienert said that's an important and growing tourism trend.

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-10-04 05:35 ]

Wow. Just because of its name, Disney will have to walk a tight rope of political correctness on that one. I don't think we are gonna see one Tiki there. They are gonna be watched with hawk eyes by all the native interest groups, and any missteps will be treated in a most unforgiving manner.
While I personally would like to see the re-occurrence of Polynesian pop on the islands, I would not put myself behind Disney as a facilitator of it, they have lost their way.

We purchased a Condo in Ko Olina two years ago that will be open in April of 2008. Construction takes a long time.

I setup a site called http://www.disneykoolina.com to advertise our condo. I hope that fact that Disney will be our next door neighbor will make our property values go up!

We may end up purchasing DVC points also so that we will be able to enjoy the giant pool structure that will be installed. We will have three pools at the Beach Villa but the pools at disney look like they are millions of gallons!

The Disney Ko Olina Resort layout is as follows, think of a square piece of land. One side of the square is the beach, the other three sides all have tall vertical hotel structures in a horseshoe shape around the perimiter. Inside of the horseshoe will be a giant pool structure and everything will look out over it towards the beach. It's going to be pretty cool.

I am old surfer who grew up in Haleiwa. The Ko Olina resort is turning out very nice. I remember when I was younger when the lagoons were there in Ko Olina without any buildings. It was really peaceful.

On 2007-10-04 05:30, VampiressRN wrote:

Aila said the Disney executives talked about honoring culturally appropriate concepts. "I think if they stick to Walt Disney's vision of these sort of theme resorts bringing hope and telling the indigenous story, they'll be fine," he said.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 15:53 ]

Mrs. Lurker and I were there when this was announced. The images I saw were sweet, like a giant tiki room resort. But after the announcement and for the rest of last week the local news was interviewing locals for their take on this resort. It was 50/50 most though not wanting to see something in that location, so I am very interested to see how this unfolds in the future. I'm already trying to convince the Mrs. to make the 2011 trip even if we cannot get a room there at least be able to scour the grounds.

This picture was in Disney's 2007 Annual Report

M

If it looks like that I might go.

I

I wonder how native Hawaiians can even afford to live on the island anymore. Trump, now Disney...I hope Oahu doesn't turn into one huge, sterilized, plastic mall. For example, Waikiki...Much as I enjoy Waikiki, I don't think it's really representative of true life there. The locals I know there say they avoid Waikiki like the plague.

Don't all expensive Hawaiian resorts look like that?
In my experience they do.

Mmmm... Mrs. Bungalow and I are going to plan a trip to Hawaii. (In other words, no planning done yet, but we will go.) I don't think I'd want to go to a Disney resort. It wouldn't feel right. Disney's whole thing is to create the illusion of a location... we want the "real" thing. So we are fooling ourselves, right? What is the real thing in Hawaii?

V

On 2008-02-11 18:09, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
What is the real thing in Hawaii?

This is the moment where I shamelessly plug my parents lovely Bed and Breakfast :wink:

http://www.akamaibnb.com

Mahalo!

There has been one new design element added to the new Disney resort on Oahu...

On 2008-05-15 17:06, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
There has been one new design element added to the new Disney resort on Oahu...

Pissed off natives?

The funny part is Disney hasn't had a decent imaginative idea for a hotel since the Polynesian Resort at WDW.

M

Other than the relatively few jobs that will be generated, it will have nothing to offer the residents of Oahu, except things like even more traffic congestion.

And, if developer Jeff Stone is involved and happy with it, then forget it. Automatic thumbs down.

Our Hawaii politicos have always gotten it wrong and for all the wrong reasons. They originally took a gem like Waikiki and totally ruined it. Now, they are doing it wherever else they can, while residents only watch as it never ends.

I'll shamelessly plug VanTiki's shameless plug for his parent's B&B in Kailua. A much better deal.
But, anybody who glarringly misspells Oahu as Ohahu in thier main web page ad should be dangled over the Pali until they fix that!

P

Want to know more about Maui weddings in Hawaii that are exclusively romantic. Mauius.com offers Romantic Maui Weddings at your budget cost. For more details please log on to our website http://www.mauius.com/

Disney should pull their heads out of their butts and go tiki. People love tiki. Nice addition to the drawings angry tiki duck hahaahhah.

T

With the current depression in tourism on the island (for nearly 2 years now) I expect this may not be completed.

D
dcman posted on Sat, Jul 25, 2009 6:00 AM

While Disney could still pull the plug (with the recession, Hawaii hotels are averaging about a 50% occupancy rate, pretty terrible), I doubt they will. They may be building in Hawaii at least partly because of the downturn, everything is cheaper as a result. It's a good time to buy and build anywhere if you have the capital.

If I'm correct, the resort will be part of the Disney Vacation Club, which means it will only be available to their time share purchasers. It's very possible it won't be open to the general public.

I do disagree that the Walt Disney company doesn't do original hotels. All their theme park hotels are very themed and original, from the cheapest to the most expensive, though their DVC resorts are much less so.

Walt Disney, like many folks of his generation, was fascinated with Polynesian culture and the tiki scene. His favorite attraction was the Enchanted Tiki Room, which he originally envisioned as a restaurant. Kind of like of decent version of the Rainforest Cafe.

While I'm not sure I love the Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck tikis, neither do I discount the Disney company and their relationship to tiki culture either. It's interesting to me that Disney historians tend to overlook the Walt Disney/tiki connection, tiki folk tend to not miss the Disney connection. I like being part of a group that sees the complete picture.

Dan/dcman

T

my lord, that concept art on their website is atrocious.

when you look through the books of disney's concept art for early disneyland and walt disney world, the art gets you excited and gives you an emotional response for the subject matter.

the art in the "GALLERY" section of their site looks like a bad saturday morning television show.

from the looks of the art and designs, the hotel hasn't a cohesive look or theme that would set it apart from any other stucco and sheet rock monstrosity.

oh well.....

CJ

I thought the lobby was nice..reminds me of Coco Palms

More resort monstrosities on Oahu, YAY! As much as I do enjoy things that Disney has done, this is completely unnecessary. I guess when developers have completely blocked off all of the island shoreline they can start building more exclusive resorts in the actual ocean. Just move a reef here or there, as long as tourists are happy. This is a turd of an idea.

Here is the latest video of the Disney project, featuring many cute mice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg3W-vVX1kc

I am always amazed by the mealy mouthed, negative people who crawl out from under the slimy place they exist and spew their viscous rantings, spread their venom and loathing over something new.
A turd? For gosh sakes, it's a hotel. A Happiest place on Earth hotel in a beautiful place.
A video of rats in Honolulu?
Damn, lighten up.

On 2009-07-24 15:49, TikiPhil wrote:
Construction has begun

http://www.yesterland.com/disneykoolina5.html

I love the classic "outrigger" architecture.

This will probably be a success. If one does not want the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, the only places to stay are at Turtle Bay in the North Shore, the Kahala just outside of Waikiki or the Marriot at Ko Olina. These are all very expensive, and limited in number.

I look forward to staying there so I can have the best of both worlds.

On 2010-01-23 08:22, bananabobs wrote:
I am always amazed by the mealy mouthed, negative people who crawl out from under the slimy place they exist and spew their viscous rantings, spread their venom and loathing over something new.
A turd? For gosh sakes, it's a hotel. A Happiest place on Earth hotel in a beautiful place.
A video of rats in Honolulu?
Damn, lighten up.

Wow that sure if a mouthful you spit up. Though everything you vomited sounds more like a description of yourself. In my post I talked about a bad idea for an island that has been inundated with bad ideas from corporations who have simply gone overboard. If you had any connection to the islands you might feel the same way. But hey, enjoy your vacation at the new Disney Resort.

On 2010-01-23 09:04, christiki295 wrote:

On 2009-07-24 15:49, TikiPhil wrote:
Construction has begun

http://www.yesterland.com/disneykoolina5.html

I love the classic "outrigger" architecture.

This will probably be a success. If one does not want the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, the only places to stay are at Turtle Bay in the North Shore, the Kahala just outside of Waikiki or the Marriot at Ko Olina. These are all very expensive, and limited in number.

I look forward to staying there so I can have the best of both worlds.

Inside rendering of the above structure:

It just needs some Tikis from the defunct Hawaiiana Hotel.

On 2010-01-23 10:27, Hakalugi wrote:

Now that would be nice, but I doubt they're ever gonna do that. Though I am sure that many Disney artists wanted to have Tikis in there, they, Disney, because of who they are, will have to tiptoe around the political incorrectness of Tikis in their resort in Hawaii. It would simply be a slam dunk for native Hawaiian organizations to find Disney messing with their ancient religious icons on their "own turf", at least in Disney style, it's like asking for protests.
If at all, they will have them as authentic reproductions, museum style, with politically correct descriptions. (Kinda like the Hawaiiana Hotel ones :) )

This is not a value judgment for either side, just a theory on the realities of the situation. Then again, I might be wrong. But I am very curious if even the word "Tiki" will get mentioned.

...AS I just remembered I had already remarked on Page 1 of this thread. :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-01-23 12:14 ]

H

On 2010-01-23 12:12, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2010-01-23 10:27, Hakalugi wrote:

If at all, they will have them as authentic reproductions, museum style, with politically correct descriptions. (Kinda like the Hawaiiana Hotel ones :) )

Exactly! Notice I didn't say Tikis like the ones at the Hawaiiana, but actually from the Hawaiiana. It could be a loophole to avoid complaints. But then again, I suppose some sourpuss would still object.

Most likely, the resort will have Tiki.
However, the Tiki will be Lilo & Stitch Tiki:

I think that this quote from the press release:

Disney Senior Vice President Joe Rohde said Tuesday that "aulani" means "the place that speaks for the great ones" or "the place that speaks with deep messages."

We want this resort destination to reflect the vibrant culture that surrounds it. The name ‘Aulani’ expresses a connection to tradition and deep story-telling — and its roots are here in this land,” said Joe Rohde

gives you some insight into what approach they're taking with this hotel. It's not called Disney's Hawaiian Vacation Club or Disney's Old Hawaiian, like most of their Florida hotels are named.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2010-01-23 16:06 ]

Ah, how nice it must be to live in a bubble!

Hanford, as I assumed, that sounds like extreme cultural correctness. I am very curious if they take their efforte "to reflect the vibrant culture that surrounds it" as far as displaying Tikis, or if it will be all feather cloaks, fish hooks, gourds, and other arts and crafts stuff that has been mostly utilized for representing Hawaiian culture in the islands over the past 30 years.

If they will have god heads, they will certainly be called "ki'i", not Tikis. :D

Place looks awesome!!!

( my new years reso. is working! be positive :wink:

On 2010-01-23 16:04, hanford_lemoore wrote:
I think that this quote from the press release:

Disney Senior Vice President Joe Rohde said Tuesday that "aulani" means "the place that speaks for the great ones" or "the place that speaks with deep messages."

We want this resort destination to reflect the vibrant culture that surrounds it. The name ‘Aulani’ expresses a connection to tradition and deep story-telling — and its roots are here in this land,” said Joe Rohde

gives you some insight into what approach they're taking with this hotel. It's not called Disney's Hawaiian Vacation Club or Disney's Old Hawaiian, like most of their Florida hotels are named.

If the "Great ones" are the Kahunas, and disney is attempting to focus on tradition, hopefully they will simply emulate Pu'uhonau o Honaunau (Place of Refuge):

After all, the Tiki on the right has a happy smile!

H

Water park, under construction between the resort's two towers.

More updates here:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/9366/Aloha_from_Aulani_the_newest_Disney_Vacation_Club_property

We recently went to both Mickey's Surf's Up breakfast and the Disney Hawaiian Resort Time Share Presentation...
it looks like it will be a really cool resort...
Here is blog I threw together with a few pics 'from that presentation
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=83922186&blogId=536789747

[ Edited by: Pineappleman11 2010-08-28 15:18 ]

Family friendly, as opposed to the shopping mecca that Waikiki has become.
Not bad. Beware buying into the Time Share as new. If traded through RCI, one can buy a used timeshare for less.

M

From the Disney Parks blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/11/progress-continues-at-aulani-with-inspiration-taking-shape-outside-and-inside/

Progress Continues at Aulani, With Inspiration Taking Shape Outside and Inside

"For starters, I wanted to share a recent aerial photo of the work-in-progress on Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa, Ko Olina, Hawaii. I love this one because I think it gives you a great feeling for the beauty of the location as well as a sense of what the Resort will look like when it’s completed. In the middle of the central courtyard you can see the unusual structure that will become the lava outcropping, part of the big water play area at Aulani. The low white building taking shape to the upper left of that, down by the beach, will be the Resort’s signature Ama `Ama restaurant.

Another part of the special Aulani guest experience will be the interior 'look' of the Resort, brought to life by the many pieces of art and décor created by local artists. Fun, joyous, unexpected pieces – modern, historic, traditional and abstract – are being created by a diverse array of remarkable creative talents."

Also on that blog (link posted above) is a video elaborating on their approach to the resort.

Another update from the Disney Parks blog:

The Mysterious Menehune Hide Throughout Aulani
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/12/the-mysterious-menehune-hide-throughout-aulani/

"Who are these figures playfully hiding in the foliage around the site of Aulani? They might be the Menehune. According to Hawaiian legend, the little Menehune (men-neh-HOO-nay) are shy folk who come out mostly at night. They are said to be gifted, possibly magical, craftspeople and if you come across a work-in-progress bridge or canoe (as you just might, when visiting Aulani), chances are it’s the work of the Menehune.

You may not spot them right away, but when Aulani opens to guests August 29, 2011, the Menehune will be there, represented by carvings concealed throughout the resort – under tables, in the forest and hidden in corners where they are most likely to be first discovered by kids. The Menehune will have had a hand, unseen, in the construction of Menehune Bridge, the children’s interactive water and slide play area at the resort. And the legend of the Menehune will animate the Menehune Adventure Trail, an interactive journey of discovery that will bring their story to life for Aulani guests.

Along with the fun of their adventures and concealment (“like Easter eggs,” as Imagineer Joe Rohde says), the design of the Menehune statues in Aulani demonstrates the research and dedication to Hawaiian culture that the Disney Imagineers have put into the creation of the resort. Various versions of the Menehune legend depict them as mischievous elf-like characters or as a real, ancient people who lived freely on the islands before being forced into hiding by the arrival of Polynesians from Tahiti.

The legend of the real, ancient Menehune suggests that some of them found refuge on Necker Island, northwest of Kauai, and that their life on the island is suggested by mysterious images found in the ancient stone structures there. The Aulani Imagineering team, working with subject matter experts and reviewing the collection at the Bishop Museum of history and culture on Oahu, took cues from the Necker Island images in designing the Menehune who will populate Aulani."

AT

Looks like they have a good resource on board.

"Aulani's lobby, called Makaala, will feature a stunning wraparound mural celebrating Hawaii's storytelling tradition, and two towering statues — gorgeous examples of an authentic centuries-old wood-carving tradition crafted by Hawaiian carver Rocky Jensen — will act as cultural greeters."
excerpt from the article in this link
http://d23.disney.go.com/articles/081210_NF_FEAT_Aulani.html

I wish I had the budget for a couple of Rocky's carvings.

Don't be surprised if there's a Wyland
gift shop.

On 2010-11-05 17:44, MauiRose wrote:
From the Disney Parks blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/11/progress-continues-at-aulani-with-inspiration-taking-shape-outside-and-inside/

Also on that blog (link posted above) is a video elaborating on their approach to the resort.

Six or seven towers on that property. The crescent bay beach may be crowded!

Opening day is August 29th.

V

Last Sunday Ms. VanTiki and I decided to take a look at the new Disney Resort and see how it came together. I am a huge fan of 2 Disney “Grand” resorts (the Wilderness Lodge and the Grand Californian), and I was extremely curious how the imagineers would tackle a hawaii theme.

I’ll be honest - I was very worried. I have become a tad burned out on the rainbow colored luau visions that most resorts represent as an accurate picture of the island. I also read a lot of the press in this thread about Disney’s hopes and plans for the resort, and they seemed rather grand. Could they pull off a Hawaii themed resort that was respectful to the culture and people of Hawaii and still have that feeling of escape and exotica that travelers seek?

We took the looooooong drive out (The Ko’Olina resort complex is really in the middle of nowhere on Oahu - kind of like Las Vegas springing out of a dessert), parked the car in the non-descript parking garage, and stepped into the lobby. Wow. Wowie-doubble-wowie-wow! Such a refreshingly new and yet amazingly familiar place. I can’t tell you how impressed I was by the textures and details sprinkled around the resort that reminded me of growing up on the island. Plantation irrigation ditch stonework, abandoned sugar cane mills, a color palette of stone, red earth, and greens. And there was also a great sense of the fantastic. By fantastic, I mean the sense of South Seas adventure that Tiki Bars and the like exude. The great thing about the Aulani is that the design was so completely different from what I am used to - they incorporated traditional elements together in ways I’ve never seen.

I want to go back with a better camera - but here are a few shots I took with my phone.

So many interesting surfaces and details! The lashing, the adze shaped support for the beam on the right, and the adze-chipped texture on all the faux timbers (yep - they are all fiberglass). Of special note - the rain gutter styled after an outrigger canoe!

Hawaiian language school themed bar. Really a unique concept. Beautiful carvings - amazing interactive lighted bar tabletop, and school desk chairs.

Amazing weathering of a wood wall in classic old plantation house/store exterior style with a collection of vintage HI plates. This is in the alcove to the entrance of the pool bathrooms.

Love the butterflies in the wood paneling. A subtle detail that really evokes hawaiian woodworking - perhaps not necessarily pre-contact style - but definitely the style that I have come to know growing up here.

So - Overall I was quite impressed. But there is some bad with this review. First off, I’m wrestling with the same question that I had when the California Adventure park first opened. Yes, it is an amazing compact and unique vision of Hawaii - but why put in in Hawaii? Can’t I just step outside the resort and experience the real thing? I almost wish they built this resort in Disneyland or Disney World.

Secondly, the location is a rough one for me. There is NOTHING around the resort, and you are looking at quite the car ride to get to most of the things tourists like to see. If you are heading into town in rush hour, you will be in for some of the worst traffic the island has to offer. Now - I’m not one to lounge at my hotel all day. Ms. VanTiki points out that if you are planning on spending your stay entirely on the Hotel property, the location is actually nice and isolated.

Since this is Tiki Central - I should review the bars! There are 2 that we found. The above Hawaiian Language bar (which was closed) and Off The Hook by the pool. We had drinks and split a burger there. The decoration is amazing - the bar is modeled after (I’m guessing here) an abandoned sugar mill (like the classic Kualoa sugar mill) with a wonderful huge thatched roof. Plantation era bottles decorate some of the upper beams (bottle digging is a big hobby for some out here). THe only thing blowing the decor was two big plasma TV’s showing sports (ug). Fortunately, they were muted. I had a mai-tai, and it was a typical resort fruty mai-tai. Sadly, no souvenier mugs. The burger was good - and (another nod to plantation days), the food is brought out in stacked bento boxes.

Whew! Curious to see what other folks think - both Local and Mainlander!

Henrik “VanTiki”

Great photos Vantiki. That place looks awesome. Regarding your question of why the Hawaii theme in Hawaii: I went to both Maui and Oahu several years ago for a friends wedding, even though I was born in Honolulu and had not been back since I was little I was HORRIFIED of what had become of the place. It was to me like someone had plopped Las Vegas on island... the only part I did enjoy was the windward side of the island mainly due to the Polynesian Cultural Center, and the unspoilt areas. Maui was much better in my opinion because it was not so overly developed. I looked in the town area of Honolulu for areas that had an older island vibe and could not really find much...maybe that is just because I was a tourist and didn't know where to look.

So that is my long winded way of saying, I think there is a niche for people like me who want a more "authentic" Hawaiian experience than what is currently being offered by the majority of the developed part of the island. Something that harkens back to the kind of paradise we are all told Hawaii was, (or at least I was told, and saw lots of old slides growing up).

Now the big question for me about Aulani is: are there any tikis anywhere at all? :tiki:

And as a Disney fan, I generally feel I can trust Disney to provide the experience I am looking for down to every detail. DCA was a misfire; I think the idea COULD have worked had they utilized the old California theme in such a way that portrayed things of California's past that are now long gone, or were fantasy and gave them an interesting new spin. Still think they should have had a full Zorro "land" with a dark ride...but I an getting off topic so I'll stop there.:wink:

Pages: 1 2 59 replies