Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Le Sacre Du Savage Photo Spread from 1951

Pages: 1 9 replies

One of my fave weblogs, I'm Learning to Share, posted this goofy Capitol Records promotional centerfold for Les Baxter's Ritual of the Savage. In it, Les portrays famed African hunter, Serge Drek. Vocalist Dottie O'Brian appears as steel-wool heiress, Griselde Kittle, and singer/actress Gisele MacKenzie portrays the White Goddess.

Funny stuff. Click on the image to view it full size.

Good stuff. I appreciate you sharing your finds so generously with us. Well, with me.

On 2007-10-14 09:35, pappythesailor wrote:
Good stuff. I appreciate you sharing your finds so generously with us. Well, with me.

My pleasure! I figured this would be well-received 'round these here parts...:)

Question: what the hell are those black-hooded figures standing behind Les and Dottie in panel 5 supposed to be?

WOW!!!!

Thanks for sharing MrBalihai!! :)

I have never seen that before. I love Les' name too Serge Drek!!

Hilarious!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

oh man I love that! And what are those way out creepy looking things in picture 5?

Just saw this now. What a find! The whole tropical helmet/Trader/Safari cliche was an important predecessor and paralell to Tiki. I hope to be able to contribute to this genre very soon in person :D .

On 2007-10-17 13:51, bigbrotiki wrote:
I hope to be able to contribute to this genre very soon in person :D .

Funny you should say that, because when I posted this, I thought of you doing a little comic photoplay as the Great White Hunter of Polynesian Pop.

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Oct 17, 2007 3:23 PM

The "Quiet Village" was a quiet AFRICAN village?

The Tiki images on the front of the album were mostly drawn from African carvings as well; ones from the Museum of Primitive Arts, NYC.

Maybe not. They coulda they walked 4246 miles EAST to Tahiti.

Cammo, do you have photos of those African carvings? You know how much I love tracing pop versions back to their origins.

Pages: 1 9 replies